What is your favourite UFO...and why isn't it finished???

Old July 29th 03, 06:24 PM
georg

Default What is your favourite UFO...and why isn't it finished???

Lynne in Toronto wrote:

Just wonderin'!

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

I have 2 quilt UFOs. One's because I can't FIND the thing. The other is
because it just needs a binding. Since I have to do that by hand, and
it's summer time, it's too darn hot to work on it now. When it gets
cooler, I will.

I have one metal embroidery UFO I like- but it's big and awkward to
handle, and I'm worried that I'm not good enough to do it justice- and
that I don't have enough of the threads to finish it. They are very hard
to find threads, and I can only shop for them in person once a year, and
this year I won't have funds or opportunity to hit the shop (The Pennsic
War is my only reliable source!). This shop is in two weeks time, and I
can't make it this year. =(

All other UFOs are projects that I will benefit from. Therefore they get
shelved so I can work on stuff for other people. Gifts have deadlines,
and have more pleasure in the giving, than the showing off of my own new
things.

-georg

Old July 29th 03, 06:42 PM
Marijke

My favourite is the Red Star (in my photo album) and I have no idea why.

I'm lying. I know why. I have to figure out how to make the set in triangles
to finish off the edges to make it square and I'm lazy...lazy...lazy... I
keep hoping that when I pick it up every now and then, it will have somehow
finished itself because I'd really like to see it finished!

Hmm, maybe I'll work on that next. Good idea!

Marijke, in ?sunny Montreal
http://photos.yahoo.com/sesesi
"Lynne in Toronto" wrote in message

Just wonderin'!

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

Old July 29th 03, 06:44 PM
Diana In Dallas

My favorite UFO is my Blue and White
RCTQ quilt.

At the end of my first year of quilting a RCTQ friend
from Essex sent me four panels with different quilty
pictures on them . I put them in a quilt top with blue
and white fabrics and the siggy squares from about 20 RCTQers
then I added prairie points and then of all things
a wide white ruffle. Sound like I was done no I wasn't. Another friend
RCTQ friend sent me some whimsical buttons these had various ladies
faces on them. These were applied to the top. Then I went to the Huge
Houston
Quilt show and found a quilting stencil I loved. I came home sandwiched it
with cotton batting and a wow backing. Put it on my Quilting frame and have
been slowly
hand quilting this UFO for 3 1/2 years. (Did I mention it is King size.)
DH calls it my work in progress not a UFO.
Why is it not finished I want it to be completely hand quilted by
me.(sentimental reasons)

Diana in Dallas

Old July 29th 03, 07:09 PM
Queen of Squishies

I love your Red Star. Always have! You keep thinkin' on it, or better yet,
write to Lady Lester, Grande Dilemma Dissolver! That thing is way worth
finishing.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 29th 03, 07:11 PM
Kathy in CA

Well my UFOs are really WIPs because I haven't been quilting long--only this
year. The tops I have finished but not quilted yet are because I am waiting
for me to gain enough experience to do them justice. I can MQ OK but getting
the backs on straight is my problem, so trying some smaller pieces and
different techniques so that I dont screw up the good stuff later on.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old July 29th 03, 08:01 PM
Lisa Ellis

So many to choose from. They are all unfinished because I am too, too
busy . . .

Maybe my favorite is a top made from old shirting fabric, very soft
colors. I took the pattern from an old quilt top that I was too cheap
to buy. Very simple block pattern; it consists of a horizontal
rectangle, with two vertical rectangle's underneath. The blocks are set
in straight rows, flipped, to give a woven effect.

==== x x ====
x x x x x x
x x x x xx
x x ==== xx

where === represents the horizontal rectangle, and the x's represent
the vertical rectangles.

I love this top; I made it after I made single Irish chain in blues,
grays and shirting fabrics. I like making tops in pairs.

lisae

Lynne in Toronto wrote:

Just wonderin'!

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

Old July 29th 03, 10:19 PM
Patti

My favourite UFO is my 'cat' quilt. It is just a WUH. It is four
blocks with a cat appliquéd in each; with flying geese sashing. The cats
are echo quilted. The blocks are each a different size; but average
about 14" I should think without measuring.
The reason it is not finished is because I simply cannot decide whether
or not to put a border on it. It has the sashing between the cats; and
I was just going to put a binding on (I never used to put a border on
anything!). Now I am becoming a little more pro border and the doubt has
arisen.
The background to the cats (which are done in four different natural cat
colours) is aqua cracked ice; and the geese are various yellows on
greyish blue with clouds sky fabric.
If anyone has an opinion I'd be glad to hear it?
..
In article , Lynne in Toronto
writes

Just wonderin'!

Cheers,
Lynne in Toronto

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 29th 03, 11:41 PM
Miriam \Mim\ Spencer

My favorite is an Irish Chain quilt with colored 'chain' of Y2K swap pieces
and the white made of sig squares that came with them. I had some unsigned
places and keep adding new sig squares in their place. It may never really
get it finished, but I have a lot of fun seeing and remembering quilters
when I get it out to work on. The backing materials are from Estonia,
Lithuania and Poland.

Mim

Old July 29th 03, 11:53 PM

I just purchased fabric to make a new quilt, so technically it isn't a
UFO. My son has just met his birth mother for the first time, he's 25.
He was raised as an only child, and now he has found that he has two
younger sisters. The younger sister (11), his mom and he spent a
weekend camping last week and had a great time. Before he left I told
him to find out what his little sister's favorite color is, so I can
make her a quilt. Well, her favorite color is rainbows, she has them
all over her room. So I went to the quilt store and bought the brightest
solid red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple fabrics I could find
and designed an "Around the World" rainbow quilt which I will start on
within the week.

It may not actually be a UFO, but it will surely be my favorite when I
get it started. My DS is thrilled to have a little sister, and I'm
thrilled for him.

Denise in NH

Old July 30th 03, 12:14 AM
CNYstitcher

probably my scrappy corduroy quilt because it is *all* mine! It's not
finished yet because I can't bend enough to pin the binding down for
sewing grin. I had thought it would get done before I needed it, but
it may be that it doesn't get done until the first of the year.

Larisa

Lynne in Toronto wrote:

Just wonderin'!

Cheers,