recycled jeans quilt help!!

Old February 6th 05, 03:40 AM
Pati Cook

I am currently hand quilting through Warm and White ( the bleached Warm
and Natural) and am having no problems with it. I am not usually a hand
quilter and have Hobbs in another quilt I will hand quilt, and Quilter's
Dream in a third, so that I can compare them.
Is the Warm and White easier than the Warm and Natural? (Question for
some of you hand quilters out there.)

Pati, in Phx

Tina wrote:

Thanks for the pointers! I went back in the archives and read several
threads about W&N. A lot of people mention that it is better for
machine quilting and that it may at times be difficult to hand quilt.
Being new at this and new to handquilting - do you think this would
make it more difficult for me? I haven't done machine quilting and I'm
not really ready to get into that (or buy the foot for it.)

If you think this would make handquilting more difficult and
discouraging for a beginner - what else would you guys recommend for
that antique look?

Thanks also Julia for the Hobbs suggestion. I will look at that the
next time I hit the fabric store.

Thanks again,
Tina

Old February 6th 05, 09:42 AM
Roberta Zollner

Do I understand from the subject line that you are planning to hand quilt a
*jeans* quilt? There is nothing on earth that would induce me to quilt denim
by hand! Tie maybe, but that's another animal.
Roberta in D (Hobbs Heirloom fan)

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 05:36 AM
René

Several years ago I made a denim quilt for my Godson. He used it through
elementary school, high school, college, and 4 years after college, it's
still in good shape.

I cut out 18" squares of fleece batting and backing fabric. I layered
them with the backing right side down, and the batting on top. Then I
just crazy quilted bits and pieces of oddly sized and shaped denim pieces
directly onto the batting. As
for the denim, I used plain pieces, interesting belt loops, tags, and
pockets -- I even sewed a "handerchief" into one of the pockets, using the
backing fabric. I also used the backing fabric on spots that the denim
pieces didn't quite fit together right. The denim came from his own
jeans, his brothers' and even
his Gramma's.

The backing was a 100% cotton, dark, multicolored print of "Old West"
designs -- horses, pine trees, Native Americans, etc. It was a very
uneven type of pattern with no obvious pattern to be careful of. I picked
this for 2 reasons -- I lived in Montana and the subject was great, and it
was so "busy" that whatever stitching was used, it would just blend in.

I used a heavy needle and thread that blended with the backing material.

Right sides together, I sewed each block together with a 1/2" seam
allowance, until all the blocks, and then rows, got to the size I wanted.
I doubled these seams for strength. On the front, I trimmed the fleece
batting and left the seam allowances exposed.

The quilt could be patched or repaired with any dark thread (didn't have
to match what I used), and by using a zig zag stitch. The repair could be
any size or length and never look out of place.

I used pieced strips of the backing fabric to use as binding -- folding it
so it would be doubled.

It was heavy, and I needed help getting the last row attached. It was
easier to put on the binding, because I was able to roll the quilt
tightly, using
bicycle clips. I did go through a few heavy needles, but with the zig
zag, the newly started seam just blended right in.

It needs to be washed on a larger, heavy duty washing machine. The ragged
seams have just gotten better looking.

I got the instructions from one of Georgia Bonesteel's books.

To me, the key to the whole thing was picking the right backing fabric.
It had to be a firm, tightly woven cotton in a pattern that would work
with any irregular stitching, in case I had bumps over heavy seams. I
made his to fit his double bed, and I wouldn't try to make one any larger,
or you'd never be able to wash it. But it's seen heavy duty, long time
use.

Since he was a young boy when I made it, I put little "surprises" in the
pockets -- a matchbox car, some coins, little toys, a note, and a $5 bill
in a zippered pocket.

René

Old February 7th 05, 02:43 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Joanna. I don't think it sounds like a method I'll use much, but for
this jeans quilt, I think it would work better than putting on a binding ~
and I could get some use out of those decorative stitches I have but haven't
used yet!

--
Charlotte

"Joanna" wrote in message
You lay down the quilt and backing right sides together and stitch all
around the edges, leaving a big enough opening at the bottom so you can
turn it to the right side. Then you can either stitch the opening closed
by hand or cheat like I do and machine top stitch around the entire thing,
very close to the edge. If your going to birth it with fleece be careful
when cutting the fleece, it does stretch. So the top stitching also helps
keep the back from curling towards the front or even the other way around.
Clear as mud??
Joanna

Old February 7th 05, 02:57 PM
Charlotte Hippen

I'm glad you posted this, as I would be asking about the best way to tie
when I got to that stage. Unless I remember where I save your post, I still
maybe. LOL!! Thanks Pat!

--
Charlotte

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
The problem with the ties might be related to HOW you knot each one.
Nearly 20 years ago I tied (and MQ) a quilt that has gotten extensive use.
YMMV.

Here is how:
Imagine two marks on the quilt, not more than 1/8" apart, at the place you
want to tie;
Take the needle down at A, up at B;
Back down at A (NEARLY at same hole, not quite);
Back up at B (NEARLY at same hole, not quite);
Now tie a sturdy SQUARE KNOT; Clip yarn;
Enjoy your quilt!
PAT in VA/USA

Jan wrote:

I've made several... I've only used flannel, no bat... very warm... very
heavy. I do make the stitches smaller when joining the squares. I've
tied and done the rag method where you sew an x thru each square. I like
the tied method, but it is so heavy that even putting fray check on each
knot doesn't hold them forever.... I usually have to go back thru once a
year and replace a few. ..cut...

Old February 7th 05, 03:10 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Sounds like a really neat quilt!

--
Charlotte

nk.net...

Old February 8th 05, 05:37 AM
DrQuilter

this is the one I made. 6" squares, not on bias. no batting. I used an
impermeable, almost tent like material for the back so it can be used in
seattle's soggy grass for picnics, concerts, etc even without the
batting it is pretty heavy, and warm..

I am planning 2 quilts for my sons out of old jeans. Awhile back I cut a
bunch of 6 or 6 1/2 in.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)