what kind of clasp to use (heavy duty)

Old August 30th 05, 12:22 AM

Default what kind of clasp to use (heavy duty)

Hi all,

somebody asked my to restring a very heavy puka-shell necklace
(the shells are about 1" diameter, and thick) on memory wire.
Right now it is strung on fishing line and has a barrel clasp
which looks too light duty for what it's holding.
Not that I know an awful lot about clasps, or what I can even
get here, but what type of clasp would you suggest for something
heavy (oh, and it's got to be steel for that person, not silver
- may be harder to come by, but is probably sturdier) like that?

Thanks,

Maren
Tropical seeds - Job's Tears Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Old August 31st 05, 06:26 AM
KDK

memory wire is usually used to make chokers and you don't need a clasp - it
just wraps around the neck. Not sure where/if you can find steel clasps.

Kathy K
ups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 08:01 PM

Thanks, Kathy.

KDK wrote:
memory wire is usually used to make chokers and you don't need a clasp - it

yes, I usually don't use clasps. But I'm not sure that will work in
this case because I estimate one of the necklaces to weigh about
3 lb ... (the other two are a bit lighter, I think)

- and I'll have to pull the memory wire out some to accommodate
the length, and all kinds of stuff. I don't even want to think about
how to wrap memory wire so that the clasp doesn't come off, probably
without having a vice on hand to hold it in place, as usually I just
loop the ends, but I think in this case I'll have to wrap it.

just wraps around the neck. Not sure where/if you can find steel clasps.

I was hoping somebody here would know where, but if it's a matter
of "if" I may just have to give up on that idea and go with silver
after all. I can get medium size lobster claws here in town (i.e.
without
having to wait several days for them to get here), and I'll just have
to rely on that that'll work.

Aloha,

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

somebody asked my to restring a very heavy puka-shell necklace
(the shells are about 1" diameter, and thick) on memory wire.
Right now it is strung on fishing line and has a barrel clasp
which looks too light duty for what it's holding.
Not that I know an awful lot about clasps, or what I can even
get here, but what type of clasp would you suggest for something
heavy (oh, and it's got to be steel for that person, not silver
- may be harder to come by, but is probably sturdier) like that?

Thanks,

Maren
Tropical seeds - Job's Tears Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

instructions for austrian crystal and seed bead toggle clasp Peggy Beads 3 November 4th 04 05:14 PM
problem with clasp..how do I fix it? Amber Beads 82 July 13th 04 11:29 PM
Clasp Options - Twist Chain Necklace arpagonus Jewelry 1 May 27th 04 03:29 AM
Source for Clasp Laurie Jewelry 7 October 25th 03 05:13 PM
A new bracelet pic and clasp tutorial for those with basic silverworking skills that include soldering Marisa Cappetta Beads 8 July 25th 03 06:16 PM