help with a baby quilt

Old August 20th 03, 08:05 PM
Ann Adamson

Default help with a baby quilt

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice with a baby quilt I have in the plans. I found a
pattern I want to use, but I want to add an additional wide border of
the featured novelty print to make the quilt a little bigger and to
highlight that fabric.

Anyway, here it is in a nutshell - the quilt is made from 9" finished
blocks, each with a 3.5" center square of the novelty print set on
point. The blocks are seperated by 3.5" wide sashing strips and corner
stones. In the pattern it is set 2 blocks by 3. The finished quilt is
27" x 39".

For the baby quilt, I defitely want it wider. And, as I said I want to
add another outer border of the novelty print (adorable monkeys!). I
would like some advice on how wide to make this border. I was thinking
of 5" (leaning toward that) or 6", but not sure if that is going to be
too overpowering.

Also, even with these additional borders, is that going to be wide
enough for a baby quilt? 5" borders would bring it to 37" by 49".
Should I consider adding another row of blocks to make it 3 x 3 square?
I really don't want to wrestle with something too big, but I'd like them
to be able to lay it down and put the baby on top for a nap!

Thanks in advance for your wise help! It will be most appreciated.

Ann

Old August 20th 03, 09:46 PM
Clooniff

Why not continue the sashing and cornerstones around the 2x3 blocks and then
add the print border, and bind with the sashing material? That adds another
7" to the width and length which makes it quite adequately large.

Betty in CT

news

Old August 20th 03, 09:56 PM
Ann Adamson

I'm not sure I followed...but the quilt pattern does have the sashing and
blocks all the way around each block, including along the outer edges of the
quilt, and then they simply bound it. I want to add an additional wide
solid border of the print, but I'm trying to figure out how wide to make it.
The novelty print blocks in the quilt are 3.5" and the sashing is 3.5", so I
was thinking a 5" wide border as about as wide as I could go, but I'm not
sure if it will overpower the quilt.

Old August 20th 03, 10:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Ann: Suggest you fold the print fabric to 5" and see how it
looks. If it is too much, then try 4.5" and so on. If you have
lots of fabric you can just sew the wide borders and if you hate
it you can trim it off. Remember that part will be lost to the
first seam and part will be used in the binding edge, so if you
cut 5.5", it will look like about 4 or 4.5" anyhow. Clear as mud?
PAT, procrastinating again. (SIGH!)

Old August 21st 03, 12:36 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Ann, think about adding a narrow border in a contrasting fabric (maybe 2"
wide), then your wider border, then another 2" border. You'd gain a bit of
width and length and a "frame."
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"Clooniff" wrote in message
[...]

FS: Beautiful Handmade Heirloom Baby Quilt - Ebay Auction LFK Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 02:12 PM
Does this look like a baby quilt zo Quilting 36 August 24th 03 08:54 PM
Baby quilt Mel Rimmer Quilting 5 August 23rd 03 01:28 AM
Another Baby Quilt gone unappreciated? teleflora Quilting 21 July 18th 03 12:31 AM