Snow Day = Bead Day

Old January 19th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Default Snow Day = Bead Day

We are having all kinds of nasty snow/sleet/rain today, which should be
freezing tonight. Because many businesses were closing around the PetsMart,
our shelter cancelled adoptions today, and DD and I are home enjoying some
down time. (Even though I should be cleaning. Sigh.) DD is Iris Folding,
and I'm beading.

I've started a 2 drop peyote piece, after wanting to start a flame or
zig-zag necklace that was in B&B a while back, but of course, I don't have
the right beads for it! This was one of those with:

Delicas in colors A, B, C
Size 11s in color A or B
Size 15s in color C

Yeah, right! I probably couldn't even find exactly what I wanted at the
little LBS.

Don't you sometimes wish, that with each B&B, there'd be a web site with
kits of the projects and you could just go choose a color set that you
wanted? I've looked at kits on websites, but they're always sooooooooo
expensive, that I've never bought one. It gets frustrating to want to make
something and never have the right stuff, even though my closet could just
about pass for a bead store!!

I hope everyone's having a good beady weekend!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 19th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

In message , Beadbimbo
writes
[...]

I know how you feel. When I see some patterns in B&B I know I have not
got a cat in hell's chance of getting the beads I need without doing
mail order. Even some do not post to Uk anyway.
Often if when I get them I have gone off doing the project anyway.
We have had really grey days for the last two weeks and a lot of rain.
Some people are flooded out again. Glad we live on top of a hill.
We were told to expect one months rainfall in two days.

I feel restless and my creative urges seem to have got lost.
Got 3 doctors/hospital appointments for next week, Mon, Tuesday and
Wednesday, 2 birthday parties and a craft show to go to.
Good luck with your necklace.
I have done iris folding.
Hugs
Shirley

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old January 20th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

You've got a busy week, Shirley!

There's so many projects in B&B that I've never gotten to because I never
had everything, and it's too much bother to mail order because one catalog
won't have something, so I'd end up going several different places.
Sometimes, I wonder what it'd be like to live near one of the big bead
stores like Shipwreck. I'd just love to walk in one of those places one
day!

It's icy out today, so I'm glad we don't have to go anywhere!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 20th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jan 20, 2:31 am, "Beadbimbo" wrote:
You've got a busy week, Shirley!

There's so many projects in B&B that I've never gotten to because I never
had everything, and it's too much bother to mail order because one catalog
won't have something, so I'd end up going several different places.
Sometimes, I wonder what it'd be like to live near one of the big bead
stores like Shipwreck. I'd just love to walk in one of those places one
day!

One of the ladies I talked to today told me "make kits".
Would anybody here buy kits?
I never have because I always have more ideas than I have
time for, but some of the things require rather out of the way sizes
and things.

??

It's icy out today, so I'm glad we don't have to go anywhere!

Where I am the snow and sleet is way up on the mountain, but we're
getting our fair share of it this winter too. It's kinda almost funny
because
I work with a lot of people who haven't been here as long as I have
and
"Mauna Kea closed" is a new concept to them.
"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
I feel restless and my creative urges seem to have got lost.
Got 3 doctors/hospital appointments for next week, Mon, Tuesday and
Wednesday, 2 birthday parties and a craft show to go to.

Shirley, I wish you all the best for all of that. Sounds like a busy
week,
and I hope you'll have the energy left to go to the craft show. Quite
often these days I don't (and I'm 20 years younger.)

Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Findings - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
Old January 20th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

When I've looked at kits, they're so overpriced that I think that I could
buy all the beads for the price of what there is to make one item.
Occasionally, when I don't have what I need, I'm sure I would buy a kit if
they weren't so outrageous, but I usually just move on and find another
project to work on.

A lot of times, it's like that with color too. I didn't set out to make
something in a particular color, but I happened to have everything I needed
in this size, that size, etc. Right now, I'm working in greys and thinking,
"I dont' have anything to wear this with!" Lol.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 20th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jan 20, 3:02 am, "Beadbimbo" wrote:
When I've looked at kits, they're so overpriced that I think that I could
buy all the beads for the price of what there is to make one item.
Occasionally, when I don't have what I need, I'm sure I would buy a kit if
they weren't so outrageous, but I usually just move on and find another
project to work on.

A lot of times, it's like that with color too. I didn't set out to make
something in a particular color, but I happened to have everything I needed
in this size, that size, etc. Right now, I'm working in greys and thinking,
"I dont' have anything to wear this with!" Lol.

Thanks for that Jerri. And as for "I don't have anything to wear this
with"
is why I decided to not get heavily into turquoise (but I love
turquoise).
I have some turquoise but decided to not go any further with that.
Malachite, jade, amethyst, that's my colors, just about any jasper
you
can think of, garnet, carnelian.

I wasn't so much thinking in overpriced kits (I've seen my share of
those),
but if you're thinking of assembling kits you have to do that in many
color
schemes, and I live in a rather small house by today's standards, so
you
just talked me out of that which is probably a good thing.

Hope you get through that storm OK,
Old January 20th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

You're right. You'd pretty much have to be a bead store to provide kits in
all kinds of projects and then in all colors too!

We're fine here. Just waiting for things to thaw. You mention snow down
here, and everyone runs out to buy out all the bread and milk. There's this
big panic, and then it usually turns out to be not as bad as everyone
feared. At least we didn't lose power! It's way to cold outside though!!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"SNIP I wasn't so much thinking in overpriced kits (I've seen my share of

Old January 20th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

On Jan 19, 1:36*pm, "Beadbimbo" wrote:
[...]

Afraid i never done any thing that's in my magazine they do inspire me
with colors and ideas but i dont do the thing there LOL I too wouldn't
have all Ive needed smile Love to look and i try new techniques out
sometimes ! I have my own ideas floating around as for Kits I would
never buy them except to get a part of them lol and they need to be
cheap other wise I go i can get that in a full strand and not pay that
much and i have that etc LOL I am a cheapskate or bargain hunter LOL!
Plus i dont always like others color choices!
Old January 21st 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jan 20, 1:48 pm, Vicky wrote:

I have my own ideas floating around as for Kits I would
never buy them except to get a part of them lol and they need to be
cheap other wise I go i can get that in a full strand and not pay that
much and i have that etc LOL I am a cheapskate or bargain hunter LOL!
Plus i dont always like others color choices!

Most of us here have our own ideas, and that's not the people kits
are for. Our local Ben Franklin teaches classes as far down as making
memory wire bracelets as people have no idea how to put colors
together
(I've been told).

I'm like you - I have considered buying chandelier earring kits to
get the chandelier findings, but that was before I did a bulk order
on a few Tierracast links (that web page isn't up yet, I got too tired
some time in the wee hours and stopped editing web pages a bit
before 3 a.m.).

Old January 21st 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

It is always seeds that I want more of. When Carol and I asked each
other what we wanted for Christmas this year, she wanted some of my
emeralds and she is getting me some seeds. LOL. There are never
enough and even when you have tons, not enough colors!!!!!

Glad you, the family and the furry ones are all inside and I hope your
electricity stays the course!!!

Becki