Need shagging instructions

Old January 19th 05, 03:10 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

I agree, I like the stuff too (both the Haggis and the trimmings).
However, I've had in done badly too - I was a student in Wales, living
in catered university accommodation, and we had a formal dinner to
celebrate Burns Night. I think that was one of those days the local
chippie got a lot of business...

But in Scotland I've had it even as a pub meal and it's been great. One
of my Danish friends got hooked while visiting on holiday (I lived in
Scotland at the time). So much so that when in a B&B on Skye we were
offered haggis as part of the breakfast, he jumped at the chance. The
next day he had a haggis burger (salad, no neeps or tatties) for lunch
at a museum cafe.

Hanne in London

Kate Dicey wrote:
KJ wrote:

Neeps?? Is this something that would change DD's mind about doing her
student teaching in Scotland?

Turnip - 'chappit neeps' is really not quite mashed swede with butter
and pepper. It's like rutabaga, I am told. Tatties, chappit neeps and
haggis - food of the gods and Burns Night Suppers! YUM! Whiskey is
also wonderful. Do not listen to the denigrations of the furriner! ;P

There's a very good haggis recipe on my web site, along with
instructions for chappit neeps.

Old January 19th 05, 04:07 PM
Mystified One

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
Well I had a giggle and thought why should you need instructions for doing
what come naturally. I know I have got a naughty mind. LOL
Shirley

Don't worry. I had the same thought. I was just too shy to speak up!

Old January 19th 05, 04:59 PM
Roberta Zollner

My impression is based on a "public service" ad designed to encourage less
sun abuse leading to skin cancer. The ad showed some hunky guys at the
beach, caption "Stegen skal ikke brankes" or something like that. And they
had another one with girls in bikinis, referring to them as sild.
My Danish is corroding as I attempt to improve my German however.
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, unless this is another case of words changing their meaing 180degrees
in 5 years (this happens), "en laekker steg" is definitely a chick. "En
dejlig sild" of course, is the same thing.

Actually, I'm struggling to think of the Danish version of "hunk", maybe
"en god cigar"? But I think that might be a bit old fashioned by now.

Gees, I've been away too long already!

Hanne in London

Roberta Zollner wrote:
And here I thought "steg" was for guys, the equivalent of "beefcake". A
"chick" is also a "sild"?
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

In Danish "chick" as in good looking girl is "steg", the word normally
used for a roast.

You guys make me laugh!

Hanne in London

Pat in Virginia wrote:

A modern roast? One with tattoos and piercing.
PAT in VA/USA

Johanna Gibson wrote:

On 19 Jan 2005 00:58:00 -0800, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:

Down under they were often cooked with the Sunday Roast, not so much
now with the 'modern roast'

Dee in Oz

What is a 'modern roast'?

-- Jo in Scotland

Old January 19th 05, 05:13 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

I can see that they might do it like that, personally I would take that
as referring to the person then, rather than a hunk. But then again,
language changes too. Maybe I need to ask my considerable younger
cousins back home :-)

Also, I think we (Danes) don't have a good work for hunk, so maybe they
just had to do _something_.

I'm still pretty impressed with all the Danish you picked up.

Hanne in London

Old January 19th 05, 05:24 PM
Johanna Gibson

--
Kate XXXXXX (Ex-patriot Scot in the lost land of Kent... )

I don't have to love neeps to love Scotland.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 05:29 PM
Sally Swindells

But we Brits always call it the Sunday Joint anyway! Its only called a
roast when we are speaking to our cousins across the pond!

Sally

Old January 19th 05, 05:50 PM
georg

Sally Swindells wrote:

But we Brits always call it the Sunday Joint anyway! Its only called a
roast when we are speaking to our cousins across the pond!

Is it still a joint when there's no bone in?

I've lived too long in the South. Sunday dinner proper has a chicken.
It's either that, or there's a waitstaff and a buffet involved.

-georg
Old January 19th 05, 06:19 PM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:34:31 -0500, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:

There are so many words from both sides of the Atlantic which are
normal for one side and 'rude' for the other, that I think we just
have to be adult about it - there are probably ones we don't even know
and we could be offending at every stroke of the keyboard. Had friends
who emigrated to Califoria and to begin with they were always
unknowingly embarrassing people, and it got very awkward when they
had to explain to their children that there were everyday names for
objects that they must not use anymore.

Tease! We're word lovers. You have to tell us the double meanings of
words for everyday objects so we can get in on the joke.

--Lia

OK - you asked for it! How do you explain to a 7 year old that he
can't call his eraser a rubber or say the Nursery Rhymne 'Pussy cat,
Pussy cat' anymore. They had even more trouble with the last one -
their cat's name was Pussy-wussy.

Is that enough!

(And of course the word 'fanny' = 'back bottom' in US and 'front
bottom' here (and therefore VERY VERY rude!) The bags here are called
Bum Bags.

But I only said one rude word (but that was very very!)

Sally

Old January 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Sally Swindells
wrote:

But we Brits always call it the Sunday Joint anyway! Its only called a
roast when we are speaking to our cousins across the pond!

Sally

I don't know where you're located exactly, but I've heard plenty of
folks in England and Scotland call it "Sunday roast".

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 06:25 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

Turnip - 'chappit neeps' is really not quite mashed swede with butter
and pepper. It's like rutabaga, I am told. Tatties, chappit neeps and
haggis - food of the gods and Burns Night Suppers! YUM! Whiskey is
also wonderful. Do not listen to the denigrations of the furriner! ;P

There's a very good haggis recipe on my web site, along with
instructions for chappit neeps.

--
Kate XXXXXX (Ex-patriot Scot in the lost land of Kent... )

I don't have to love neeps to love Scotland.

True, but weird... ;D

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk