fabric question

Old October 11th 03, 11:56 AM
Helen in MN

Default fabric question

For the second time in about 2 weeks I have been unpleasantly surprised by a
Hoffman fabric. And I bought them at two different places in two separate
parts of the state!
For the second time I find it almost impossible to get a straight grain of
fabric. If I rip the edge, in about 8" the line is way off! The project
needs a straight grain, so I will have to keep cutting (and losing fabric)
to keep a good edge.
Am I the only person having this problem with Hoffman?
There is no way these two color patterns could've even been near each other-
not in the same "designer line" by any means.

Just wondering.....

--
Helen in MN

Old October 11th 03, 12:11 PM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:56:36 GMT, "Helen in MN"
wrote:

For the second time in about 2 weeks I have been unpleasantly surprised by a
Hoffman fabric. And I bought them at two different places in two separate
parts of the state!
For the second time I find it almost impossible to get a straight grain of
fabric. If I rip the edge, in about 8" the line is way off! The project
needs a straight grain, so I will have to keep cutting (and losing fabric)
to keep a good edge.
Am I the only person having this problem with Hoffman?
There is no way these two color patterns could've even been near each other-
not in the same "designer line" by any means.

Just wondering.....

Helen,

A couple of years ago a committee I was on agreed to do the block of
the month for our guild. We ended up using Hoffman fabrics. I guess
four different prints, each by a different designer. Two of the four
were in the same condition you describe. We ended up adjusting our
patterns (choosing different ones) so we could ignore straight of
grain. One fabric was a pretty blend of different pinks that ended up
looking like a stripe. Boy what an experience!! I never want to use
that pink again even if it was pretty.
This was a really dissapointing job since I thought we could breeze
through using Hoffman.
No words of advice, but you might lett Hoffman know, we did. We have
three BOLTS of the fabric by the time we wised up.
Anna Belle
Old October 11th 03, 08:54 PM
Helen in MN

After reading your post, I dug through my trash can- the pieces were very
small- and got the ID # for each piece of fabric. I went to the Hoffman
site, sent an email, and politely talked about the problem I had. Just so
they would know. I did tell the one LQS- haven't had time to talk to the
other.

Helen in MN

Old October 12th 03, 12:17 AM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:54:03 -0500, "Helen in MN"
wrote:

After reading your post, I dug through my trash can- the pieces were very
small- and got the ID # for each piece of fabric. I went to the Hoffman
site, sent an email, and politely talked about the problem I had. Just so
they would know. I did tell the one LQS- haven't had time to talk to the
other.

Helen in MN

Good job Helen. I think this is the only way we will have any
influence-remember Northern Tissue???

Another thing that is making me unhappy. White on white fabrics seem
to be getting more and more thin (see through).

Anna Belle
Old October 12th 03, 01:15 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I have never bought Hoffman because of the price. Now I'm glad I couldn't
afford it. BTW, have you noticed that the Northern Tissue commercials now
feature a Queen of . . . what? quilting? Encroaching on "our" territory,
aren't they?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 12th 03, 01:47 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
I love Hoffman fabrics.
As I usually ignore the grain, being off-grain
isn't an issue in my quilting world. g
Write, e-mail, call them, Helen; can't hurt.
Northern Tissue can keep their toilet paper queen; don't know that
any of us would want the title. ;-D It's not a brand I buy, anyway.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old October 12th 03, 05:19 AM
Taria

I haven't had any problems. Not sure if I'm not picky enough
or lucky. These are pretty high end fabrics to have to fuss with.
I think I would the folks at Hoffman should hear and see the fabric
you are having trouble with. A sample sent to them should get
a response. Their prints are so wonderful I could overlook a
little grain problem. BTW, The Hoffman folks are just down the
street from my dad's house about 5 minutes. Send that fabric to
me and I'll drop it by for you ; )
Taria

Old October 12th 03, 06:41 PM
frood

I had a similar problem with a plaid (not a Hoffman). I lined up the pattern
(it was a woven plaid), and 6" later, it was off again. It will be fine for
my own use, but it wasn't good enough to use in Nurse's swap.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old October 12th 03, 06:49 PM
Royce

I would write a pleasant "letter of concern" or make a phone call to
Hoffman, and call the shops where the fabrics were purchased to alert them
of the problem to see if they would make an exchange or refund. You might
get results from either source.

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

"Helen in MN" wrote in message
For the second time in about 2 weeks I have been unpleasantly surprised by

Hoffman fabric. And I bought them at two different places in two separate
parts of the state!
For the second time I find it almost impossible to get a straight grain of
fabric. If I rip the edge, in about 8" the line is way off! The project
needs a straight grain, so I will have to keep cutting (and losing fabric)
to keep a good edge.
Am I the only person having this problem with Hoffman?
There is no way these two color patterns could've even been near each

other-
not in the same "designer line" by any means.

Just wondering.....

--
Helen in MN

Hardanger fabric question just me Needlework 3 June 7th 04 01:05 AM
Question about fabric and wood Joan Erickson Needlework 19 December 21st 03 01:46 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
New answer to fabric question Elena Quilting 15 July 29th 03 04:06 PM