Looking for a name of a type of needlework

Old August 19th 04, 03:26 AM
Jenn Liace

Default Looking for a name of a type of needlework

This was something I learned oh.... 20 years ago or so. I don't
honestly remember much of it and would kind of like to maybe start it
up again.

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves) that was woven between threads of
the ground to fill in squares. I don't remember how the weaving
thread was anchored, but then it went in a figure-eight kind of
pattern around two adjacent threads, kind of like some of the stitches
in Hardanger, which was what made me think of this stuff.

I remember stitching a little teddy bear and a heart with this
technique, but not what I did with them. And none of the women in my
family that I remember being around when I learned this (I seem to
think it was a home party kind of setting, like a stitch-n-bitch) have
any clue of what I'm talking about.... and a couple have insinuated
that I'm making it up..... grumble.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Any ideas of what it might
be... and if so, where might I find books about it?

Thanks!

Jenn L.
--
EBay here I come! http://tinyurl.com/5l3qp
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

WIP's:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)

UFO's:
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old August 19th 04, 05:55 AM
EGNeedler

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves)

Are you thinking of lace net darning? I used to do this approximately 20 years
ago but haven't seen the material, threads or instruction booklets for many
years. It was fun to do and made pretty ornaments.

Eleanor the Elder
Old August 19th 04, 02:49 PM
Majmoxie

I remember having a base fabric that was roughly similar to canvas,
but much softer and more flexible than the stuff I see sold at the LNS
for needlepoint. Then you had a thread that was probably about the
size of perle 12 (if memory serves)

Are you thinking of lace net darning? I used to do this approximately 20
years
ago but haven't seen the material, threads or instruction booklets for many
years. It was fun to do and made pretty ornaments.

And the Creative Circle company sold kits to do this back in the 1980's.
Donna @ West Point

Boredom is a choice, not a circumstance.
Old August 20th 04, 06:18 AM
Marny Fischer

I wonder if you're talking about Swedish Weaving aka Huck ...

This is done by picking up floats on the front of the fabric; nothing goes
through to the back of the fabric.

It can be done on huck toweling fabric (or in today's market, on Monk's
cloth, which is approximately 7 stitches to the inch). A float would look
like this: ||

You can see more by going to http://www.swedishweaving.com ... you can see a
design/pattern.

Gentle as you go,
Marny

HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
Needlework as Solace lula Needlework 7 June 18th 04 05:59 PM
Interesting Needlework Containers Lula Needlework 8 December 16th 03 01:41 AM
Book:Threads of Light - Suzhou Needlework Lula Needlework 2 August 19th 03 01:24 AM
And so , back to needlework Jan Lennie Needlework 6 July 26th 03 10:22 AM