Old Kenmore machine

Old May 4th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default Old Kenmore machine

A local person has a Kenmore model 158 1400 for sale, for $35. Can't
find anything on this machine. Does it do more than straight stitch?
Anyone know where I can find info on this before I think seriously
about getting this to replace my Scout who is now unsafe to use....

thanks in advance
Ginger in CA
spent the day watching horse racing and now mourning Eight Belles
demise
Old May 4th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Ginger, I'd honestly hit eBay and grab a Kenmore with the model # starting
with "385" -- those were made by Janome for Sears and are the BEST ever!!
Mine has withstood my DD learning to sew, me learning more about sewing, and
everything in between (even my hubby's used it -- though, not with my
"permission" and even HE didn't break it!!!) ...

As for the 158 series, I couldn't say. There IS a Kenmore sewing machine
group on Yahoo -- they might be able to point you in the right direction, if
not help you outright!!!

Best of luck!!!
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old May 4th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Ginger, I just found this listing on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-KENMORE-15...T-SEE-NR_W0QQi
temZ110247946786QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41250QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte

Perhaps you can ask the seller a few questions?? I hate it when a seller
doesn't list an SM's features!!! But it does come with oodles and oodles of
accessories -- doesn't that usually mean an SM's capable of more than just a
straight stitch? I've never owned one that did only a straight stitch, so
I'm not sure.

But anyway, so far, you can see what the one you're looking at might be
worth, I figure! Very pretty machine!!!

Old May 4th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria O[_2_]

It appears to have a couple of utility stitches, judging by the stitch
selector dial. Probably stretch and blindhem stitches. The database on
the Yahoo site says it was priced at $159.00 when it was in the Sears
line, from 1972 to 1974. I had a similar machine, the 158.13470, and
it made a very nice satin stitch, as well as good buttonholes with the
geared plate. Solid, well made machine from Jaguar in Japan, probably
has all-metal gears, but do check.

Maria in NE PA

Ginger, I just found this listing on eBay:http://cgi.ebay.com/SEARS-KENMORE-15...INE-MUST-SEE-N...

Old May 4th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen[_4_]

Hi Ginger,

I use a Kenmore 158.1410 and it's going strong. I have it
tuned up every couple years.

I have the manual; if you would like, I can make a copy and
mail it to you.

The stitches are

straight
zigzag
blind stitch
mending stitch
scallop stitch
special edge stitch
stretch stitch
smocking stitch
satin stitch

It also came with a buttonhole attachment.

Karen in WI

Old May 4th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

thanks all! I'll do some further checking.

Off to my first quilt show of the year, now So excited!! May be the
only one I get to, that makes it more special!

Ginger in CA

On May 4, 7:57*am, Judie in Penfield NY wrote:
Ginger,

I have a couple of these machines, one is the 158 1401 and the other is
the 158 1403. These are some of the best ever sold by Sears in my
opinion. One of the best things about these is the ability to drop the
feed dogs and the fact that you can change the needle plate from
straight to zig zag by just flipping the center plate.

Usually there is an extra table tucked away inside the lid of the case
to make a little larger sewing area so be sure to check. You already
know the machine does some zig zag and stretch stitches. Attachments are
fairly easy to find if the machine include them.

I would not hesitate to recommend this model,

Judie

Ginger in CA wrote:
A local person has a Kenmore model 158 1400 for sale, for $35. Can't
find anything on this machine. Does it do more than straight stitch?
Anyone know where I can find info on this before I think seriously
about getting this to replace my Scout who is now unsafe to use....

thanks in advance
Ginger in CA
spent the day watching horse racing and now mourning Eight Belles
demise- Hide quoted text -