A Quilting Weekend in Virginia (Long)

Old April 30th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default A Quilting Weekend in Virginia (Long)

Last weekend I was lucky to participate in a special quilting weekend, on a
lovely lake in the foothills here in Virginia. The sponsor/organizer was
tithe Virginia Consortium of Quilters, a collection of quilters and guilds.
This was my first time at this bi-annual activity, which is called VCQ
Celebration, but it will surely not be my last time! I had such fun!

The event started Thursday afternoon. We had dinner, vendors, settling in,
prizes, and other fun that evening. I got one of the really nice door
prizes: a collection of 19 FQ. On Friday I took a Feathered Star Class from
Marsha McCloskey. That night, she presented a lecture about blocks to the
entire assembly .... about 170 participants. More prizes, more fun. We each
chipped in one dollar and then a bunch of people won $10 certificates to use
at any of the three vendors. (I won one!) On Saturday I took an easier
class, Scrappy Days with Norma Campbell. I think my quilt will be really
cool ..... jewel tone scraps with black background fabric. On Saturday
evening we enjoyed a talk about fiber art to wear, by Lyric Kinard of NC. We
each chipped in one FQ for another drawing, and I won ten assorted FQ!
Drawing for door-prizes continued, so eventually everyone won one. There
were a few 'big' prizes .... such as a floor stand Ott light, etc. On Sunday
morning we did a show and tell of our class projects, and drawing for
several 'basket raffles' .... for which we'd purchased tickets if we choose.
Guess who won a basket of about 6 coordinated FQ and a pattern!! Woo Hoo!

During all this, we had some pretty good meals, lots of laughs, chocolate,
and good fellowship. Since it was held at a 4-H Center, the cost was not too
high. It was sort of like a college campus .... the rooms were plain but
clean and comfortable. It was fun to get together with quilters from all
over Virginia, and some from a few other states. I even got a supply of
CHOCOLATE from an RCTQ friend!! Yep .... Alice came back to Virginia from
Pennsylvania for the event. She and I have some mutual friends in my guild,
so our paths cross now and then. On Thursday, several of us met up on the
way to the Lake at an LQS to shop and enjoy lunch. Alice handed me a bag of
EXCELLENT chocolate 'On Behalf of RCTQ!'

IF you get a chance to gather with quilters, don't pass it up! You will have
more fun than you could imagine.
--
Pat in Virginia

Old May 1st 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Pat in Virginia" wrote:

Last weekend I was lucky to participate in a special quilting weekend, on a
lovely lake in the foothills here in Virginia. The sponsor/organizer was
tithe Virginia Consortium of Quilters, a collection of quilters and guilds.
This was my first time at this bi-annual activity, which is called VCQ
Celebration, but it will surely not be my last time! I had such fun!

Oh, Pat! That sounded like such fun! And you were so lucky in winning so
many great prizes!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old May 1st 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you so much for the report, Pat. Not as good as being there but I
surely did enjoy hearing about your special weekend. Oh my, yes, I did.
Polly

Old May 1st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Last weekend I was lucky to participate in a special quilting weekend, on
a lovely lake in the foothills here in Virginia. The sponsor/organizer was
tithe Virginia Consortium of Quilters, a collection of quilters and
guilds. This was my first time at this bi-annual activity, which is called
VCQ Celebration, but it will surely not be my last time! I had such fun!

snip...

It sounds as if you had a fabulous time, Pat! Lucky you for winning so many
doorprizes. Even luckier ( IMHO ) was being able to take the Feathered Star
Class with Marsha McCloskey.

- dlm. in central MA

Old May 1st 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Yes, Dawn, it was fortunate to take that class with Marsha. She is a very
fine quiltmaker and author of excellent books, a well prepared teacher, and
a very nice woman. She even bought a bunch of the raffle tickets for the
Double Irish Chain my Relay for Life Team is promoting. It was a great
compliment for such an accomplished quiltmaker to buy the tickets, and to
tell me exactly where in her home she plans to use it, if she wins! Grins,

--
Pat in Virginia

. ..

Old May 2nd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Yes, it was a wonderful, long weekend! It was my second time to attend
Celebration, and it was great! I didn't win as many prizes as you did, but
I did win a $10 gift certificate and a door prize! I hope you enjoyed the
Wilbur's Buds from PA!

I took a LeMoyne Star class from Marsha McCloskey. We started out with
graph paper, rulers, a compass and colored pencils. We drafted our stars,
figured out the sizes of the pieces, and then cut and pieced them. The
object was to end up with eight points matching perfectly in the middle and
a FLAT block.....one student's block could have passed for a bra cup, and
that's how she displayed it at "show and tell"! I was happy with my
results, and have made two more blocks since I've been home.

My other class was a miniature quilt class with Elizabeth Carlson. I spent
6 hours learning how to do VERY precise piecing and hand appliqué. The
finished pieced block ends up being only four inches, and the appliqué
pieces were tiny, tiny, tiny. I have them all shaped to freezer paper and
pinned in place, but haven't taken a stitch yet. The final objective is to
make 13 pieced blocks and 12 appliqué blocks....combined, they will make one
miniature wall hanging.

My trip back to PA from VA on Monday was very wet, but I was lucky to be
ahead of the tornados and severe weather that you experienced. I brought a
supply of Virginia peanuts and a case of Merlot (from Trader Joe's) with me.
You know, we must have our "necessities"! All in all, a great
time....seeing old friends and making new ones.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu