Sort of OT, but not exactly ;)

Old April 27th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default Sort of OT, but not exactly ;)

In article ,
Patti wrote:

If you don't find a suitable pattern, Sandy, I know the author of two
lovely books on bags quite well. Would you like me to contact her to
ask if there is something similar to what you describe in either of her
bag books?

Just let me know. Oh! her name is Susan Briscoe - you might have
already seen her books?

Thanks, Pat! I've never seen her books, but I'd definitely be interested
if she had something like what I'm searching for. Thanks so much!

In message , Sandy
writes
I'm looking for a pattern for a backpack, which is the OT part of this
message. However, it might be quilted, and it's definitely intended to
be used at quilt shows, so that's why I marked "not exactly".

I have one pattern, but I'm not really thrilled with it. I'm looking for
something with wide straps (it has to be comfortable!) and several
pockets for little things, as well as the larger compartment for
important stuff like purchases. G It should be more than simply the
drawstring bags I'm seeing in my online search.

Any references out there? I don't mind purchasing a pattern, but I'd
like to know ahead of time that it's a good one.

Thanks!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 27th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

Try Wild Things http://www.wildginger.com/products/wildthings.htm Maybe
you'll find what you are looking for.
It's a free download program on the Wild Ginger site. You can just plug in
what you want in size and such on their back pack pattern generator and it
will print out the pattern for you. Also lots of different pockets to add as
you choose. I've made quite a few bags and such from this program. Works
good

Val

Val, this looks very interesting! Thanks! I'm going to play with it a
little later.

Old April 28th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

and I've got both books and one day will make one - or even a
selection!! There is a gorgeous zipped rucksac in her first book (21
terrific patchwork bags) with 1.1/4" webbing straps which she says is
good for Quilt Shows - she even has a Quilter's Briefcase to match. She
has done them with a mountain theme in lovely autumnal colours. There
are a couple more in her second one but they have flaps over, not zipps.
The patchwork on all her bags is a definite feature and although I
haven't yet used one, her instructions look good. The second book is
called 21 sensational patchwork bags.

The trouble with bags though is that everyone has such personal
preferences - I have been looking for a new best black bag for about 4
years, and wont buy until I see the one that is perfect. That doesn't
seem to exist!!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old April 28th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

I've made a couple by this pattern/book and am very happy with how they
turned out.
http://www.amazon.com/Backpacks-Cind...38525&sr= 1-3
I've made the large one twice, which is big enough for schoolbooks, laptop,
etc. There is a pattern for a smaller one which would probably be a good
size, unless you're planning on hauling home everything at the quilt shows!
--
Debi

Education is when you read the instructions. Experience is what you get when
you don't.

Old April 28th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

I love her books! I'm starting to feel the need to make a new bag and her
books will be in the stack I peruse.
Bag books are a weakness of mine. I have hordes of them.
--
Debi (and patterns I've never made, and files from the internet I've never
made...)

"Patti" wrote in message
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old April 28th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Joan Hawley makes very easy to follow patterns. I have the Chelsea tote and
plan on making it one of these days when I have finished up my QFOs

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Pati C." wrote in message
Here, I hope, is a link to the Chelsea tote on the Checker distributor
site
http://www.checkerdist.com/ax_commer... categoryPath=

Or go to
http://lazygirldesigns.com/
and look at the pattern there.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 28th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Debi Matlack" wrote:

I've made a couple by this pattern/book and am very happy with how they
turned out.
http://www.amazon.com/Backpacks-Cind.../ref=pd_bbs_sr
_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209338525&sr=1-3
I've made the large one twice, which is big enough for schoolbooks, laptop,
etc. There is a pattern for a smaller one which would probably be a good
size, unless you're planning on hauling home everything at the quilt shows!
--
Debi

Education is when you read the instructions. Experience is what you get when
you don't.

Thanks, Debi! Those are rather pretty, aren't they?

Old April 28th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

and I've got both books and one day will make one - or even a
selection!! There is a gorgeous zipped rucksac in her first book (21
terrific patchwork bags) with 1.1/4" webbing straps which she says is
good for Quilt Shows - she even has a Quilter's Briefcase to match. She
has done them with a mountain theme in lovely autumnal colours. There
are a couple more in her second one but they have flaps over, not zipps.
The patchwork on all her bags is a definite feature and although I
haven't yet used one, her instructions look good. The second book is
called 21 sensational patchwork bags.

The trouble with bags though is that everyone has such personal
preferences - I have been looking for a new best black bag for about 4
years, and wont buy until I see the one that is perfect. That doesn't
seem to exist!!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Thanks for the information, Sally! I'm not sure whether I prefer
flaps or zippers -- I like how flaps look, but zippers are much more
secure. g I'll have to think. They do sound lovely; as you say,
though, bags are *so* personal, and we do all have our own preferences.
It took me forever to find a black everyday bag a couple of years ago.
Actually, I found one almost immediately that I loved, but it was $300,
which was wildly out of my budget. LOL!

Old April 28th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

There was talk about Jenny Raymond here a month or so ago and I ordered
her Easy on the back bag pattern. I haven't gotten to use it but it
looks ok. there are 2 sizes. Bigger one is 20x13x5. There is an
article about it:
http://www.sewnews.com/resources/mc/mc0307a/

You might check the regular Joann's patterns. I found a good McCall's
and also Vogue one that I used to do James' ultra suede bags. I was
surprised by what they had since I hadn't looked at those pattern books
in so long. I think they are having a sale on patterns in their next ad.
Taria

Old April 28th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article zcaRj.4803$E77.930@trnddc05,
Taria wrote:

There was talk about Jenny Raymond here a month or so ago and I ordered
her Easy on the back bag pattern. I haven't gotten to use it but it
looks ok. there are 2 sizes. Bigger one is 20x13x5. There is an
article about it:
http://www.sewnews.com/resources/mc/mc0307a/

You might check the regular Joann's patterns. I found a good McCall's
and also Vogue one that I used to do James' ultra suede bags. I was
surprised by what they had since I hadn't looked at those pattern books
in so long. I think they are having a sale on patterns in their next ad.
Taria

Thanks, Taria. The Easy on the Back pattern only has one shoulder strap,
which I'm trying to avoid; I want to distribute the weight over my two
shoulders, since days get long at the big shows. G I think I will,
however, go to JoAnn's and look at what's available in the pattern
books. That's a very good idea.

Sandy wrote:

I'm looking for a pattern for a backpack, which is the OT part of this
message. However, it might be quilted, and it's definitely intended to
be used at quilt shows, so that's why I marked "not exactly".

I have one pattern, but I'm not really thrilled with it. I'm looking for
something with wide straps (it has to be comfortable!) and several
pockets for little things, as well as the larger compartment for
important stuff like purchases. G It should be more than simply the
drawstring bags I'm seeing in my online search.

Any references out there? I don't mind purchasing a pattern, but I'd
like to know ahead of time that it's a good one.

Thanks!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

OT OT OT sort of Morag in Detroit Quilting 49 July 15th 05 07:20 AM
OT - sort of - away for a while Beadbimbo Beads 4 February 15th 05 12:35 PM
OT - sort of at least Cheryl Isaak Needlework 2 December 31st 04 07:13 PM
OT - sort of Roz in Montreal Quilting 2 December 20th 03 05:13 PM
sort of OT nana2b Quilting 1 October 8th 03 12:00 PM