New to me Treadle

Old May 7th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default New to me Treadle

One day, a couple of years ago on the way to a hot air balloon
festival, I picked up an old treadle sitting on the side of the road.
That was an adventure all to itself. Now that I'm unemployed and the
weather is finally getting nice, I pulled the beast onto the back
porch and started cleaning. This poor old girl is so rusted I don't
know that there's any hope for her. It's a Singer model 15 and
according to the serial number, made 4/9/1900 in Elizabeth, NJ. I
don't think it's been cleaned since the day it left the factory. The
decals are shot. Most parts rusted in place. About the only thing
that isn't rusted in place is the bobbin! I don't know why as it
appears it must have been sitting in Miss Polly's swamp for the last
100+ years. I'm not sure it's worth it to me to keep plugging away at
it but since my only other regular activity at the moment is looking
for a job, why not? I guess I'll just keep squirting WD40 everywhere
I can for a few days and see if there's any progress. If not, anyone
need the bobbin case? I'm thinking it may not be an original though.
But it, and possibly, the whole machine are up for grabs if anyone in/
near central NJ is interested.

Kim in NJ
Old May 8th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle[_2_]

If you're interested, there's a website www.treadleon.net that has info on
old treadle machines and info on maintenance and how to clean them.
Good Luck!
Michelle

Old May 8th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Kim, just because your treasure may not stitch doesn't mean it's not
wonderful. Is it possible that you could restore it as best you can and
simply enjoy having it? They are such precious old beauties. Polly

"AuntK" wrote One day, a couple of years ago on the way to a hot air

Old May 8th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On May 8, 12:15*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

Kim in NJ- Hide quoted text -

That was my original thought as I have my great-grandmother's treadle
table. It, too, needs quite a bit of restoration but there's the
obvious sentimental value that makes the work worthwhile.
Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to her machine. I remember
my mother borrowing it from my grandmother when I was a child but no
one seems to know what happened to it. We moved around so much when I
was growing up that I fear it was tossed/lost in a move somewhere. My
ideal was to have a machine to put in the table that would actually
work. Since I do have quite a bit of free time these days and having
issues with border corners on my latest quilt is frustrating me to the
point of not sewing regularly, I'll probably plug away at it at least
for a while and see how far I get.
Old May 8th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

....and if the cabinet is good you can just swap out the head.
They are around to be found.
Taria

Old May 11th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

The cabinet is horrid! I'm letting it soak at the moment with WD40.
I've had very hactic couple of days and foresee the same for the next
week. I'll probably do some more 'squirting' for the next few days
but will then be out of town for several. I'll see how far I get with
the head but it's really RUFF! All good wishes greatly appreciated
and I'll keep you posted!

Kim in NJ

Got me a treadle! Sue DiNapoli Quilting 24 August 30th 07 03:51 PM
My new treadle Kathy Applebaum Quilting 8 November 5th 04 06:30 PM
My new treadle Piper Quilting 8 March 24th 04 06:08 PM
New Treadle for me, too! frood Quilting 8 December 28th 03 11:15 PM
I got a treadle DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 5 December 13th 03 09:49 PM