rose wallhanging/fusible question

Old December 26th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Default rose wallhanging/fusible question

Has anyone made the Best of Show rose wallhanging kit that Keepsake
Quilting sells
(http://www.keepsakequilting.com/KQSh... &catpos=23)?
(Sorry - tried to create a tiny URL, but it didn't seem to work). I
have this kit (Christmas present - yippee!), but am a bit confused by
the fusible directions. It says it requires 17 inches by 3 yards of
fusible (which I have in about 25 9x12 sheets), but then the pattern
requires that you lay the fusible over a pattern piece approx. 33 x 26,
and it doesn't seem you can do it in pieces. Which leads me to my next
question -- is it possible to buy lite steam-a-seam 2 by the yard?
Thanks - hope you all are having a fun boxing day playing with your new
quilty stuff.

Lynn

Old December 26th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I purchase my steam-a-seam by the yard at my LQS.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

oups.com...

Old December 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

By the yard as wide as 26+ inches? The 8x11 sheets aren't big enough.

-Lynn

Jan wrote:
Lynn, you can buy it by the yard at some quilt stores or I have bought it
in a a pack of several 8x11 sheets at Joanns.

Old December 27th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Can't help you--but what a lovely quilt! I can't wait to see how yours
turns out!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

oups.com...

Old December 27th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

No need to apologize! I think you must be right about the sections,
but I can't really reconcile it with the pattern. I think I'll have to
ask some people to look at the instructions with me. I just thought
I'd see if anyone else had wrestled with this question already.
Thanks!

Lynn

Jan wrote:
Sorry!! Brain dead moment. It looks like equilter has it 24" wide by the...

Old December 27th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Yes, that's sort of how this is done - you trace the whole pattern onto
the back of the fusible web (the paper), and, once you place it on
fabric, cut out the bits you're not using, so you have a "negative" of
a design that gets fused to a bottom piece of fabric. But since the
fusible doesn't come wide enough to cover the whole pattern, I was
perplexed. I emailed the pattern designer, and she wrote back very
promptly and said that the fusible could be laid side by side and
shouldn't show through on the front where it joins (I don't see any
other way you could do it, given the instructions, but I haven't done
this type of thing before). Anyway, thanks for helping me think this
through! I might not be explaining it properly, but I think it will
make sense once I try to do it. I think I might give it a try with the
sheets I have, but I just realized I need to prewash my fabric first.

Jan wrote:
I did remember another way I have seen fusible tops done... More of a trace the entire pattern on one fabric, press the fusible to wrong side of that fabric, then cut away peices...

Old December 30th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Default rose wallhanging - Photo

I finished the cutting/fusing part of the rose wallhanging (from a
Keepsake Quilting kit, NAYY). Kudos to the designer, Anita Bradshaw,
for being kind enough to answer (very quickly) my email asking
questions about the pattern. Here's a photo:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...70246861uVtZxV

The photo is a bit blurry, but I'll replace it with a better one once I
finish the edges. The blurriness is convenient at hiding my fraying
edges!

-Lynn

Jan wrote:
I can't wait to see it done! :-)

Old December 31st 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Pender

That's lovely - I was looking at this recently and thinking of doing one
for my Mum, just how difficult is it? It looks REALLY complex, how is
it pieced? I can't believe how close to the illustration it is! I
always wonder with this type of thing whether it will look anything like
it's supposed to, but yours if gorgeous!

In message . com,
quilter writes
I finished the cutting/fusing part of the rose wallhanging (from a
Keepsake Quilting kit, NAYY). Kudos to the designer, Anita Bradshaw,
for being kind enough to answer (very quickly) my email asking
questions about the pattern. Here's a photo:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...70246861uVtZxV

The photo is a bit blurry, but I'll replace it with a better one once I
finish the edges. The blurriness is convenient at hiding my fraying
edges!

-Lynn

Jan wrote:
I can't wait to see it done! :-)

--
Jo P
Malvern UK
Old December 31st 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

It's very easy - I did that in two days. But it's not pieced per se.
It's all cut out and fused (the entire thing is layered in fusible). I
haven't done any sewing yet...just cutting and rearranging. The deep
red layer is a solid piece of fabric, the medium color is cut like a
negative and placed over the red, and then pieces are cut out of the
last, lightest color and laid on top of the other two. I wish I could
finish it now, but I need rose colored thread!

Lynn

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
rose question DrQuilter Quilting 12 July 12th 05 04:19 AM
Another rose question! Kate Dicey Quilting 10 July 11th 05 10:08 PM
The Starlia Rose part 2 Diana Curtis Beads 11 October 10th 04 05:27 PM