About signing those hug blocks.....

Old October 30th 05, 12:04 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default About signing those hug blocks.....

Patti-

I'm assuming the ATCs won't be washed, so I ironed freezer paper to a
pretty tone-on-tone beige-y fabric, cut it to 8.5X11 and printed the
labels on my puter for the back of the ATCs.

Yep, I'm a coward!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 30th 05, 01:06 AM
Polly Esther

My goodness, Anne. I didn't know there was any one in the world who knew
what Palmer Method Penmanship was. I truly didn't. I've never had a puppy
eat one of mine but that's probably the only disaster I haven't had signing
a hug block. Polly

"Anne in CA" wrote in message
I've been the mother of two hugs and am gestating a third right now. I had
to go back to the design wall to look at the signatures because I couldn't
think of any that didn't look perfect! Nope -- I was right --
they all look wonderful.

[Maybe Mrs. Hammar, my fourth grade teacher and strict Palmer-ist, would
have something to say about one or two of them. But more because she
didn't allow printing in her class, only long hand.]

As far as I can tell none are mis-spelled and if they aren't printed
exactly parallel to the seams, who cares?

Besides, once I get finished quilting, all the recipient will see is my
crooked-y quilting ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I always have a stressful moment when I've finished my block(s) and
have to write my name, etc. on them. I freeze up- hoping I won't
misspell a word (LOL!), write crooked-y, get it all off center or some
letters larger than others, the pen stumble on the threads in the
fabric and make misshapen letters, need more space than what is
available without going over a seam or into the seam allowance, etc.

Does everyone else have these feelings/problems? Is there a better
solution? (I've tried doing the writing before piecing or appliquing,
but it doesn't always line up well that way either.)

Leslie (finally caught up on all the hugs) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 30th 05, 02:36 AM
Butterfly

I DO! Waving Wildly. If it was good enuf for my Aunt 18 yrs before me--then
it was 'good enuf for me'. Same teacher--same books. Only NEW thing we had
was the Weekly Reader ' newsletter. When I entered the 8th Grade we got NEW
History books and we weren't allowed to take them home as the next grade and
the next and.... were going to have to use them.......

Butterfly (won prizes for my handwriting in 4th Grade--and now some days---
I can't even read my own writing)

ink.net...

Old October 30th 05, 02:53 AM
Polly Esther

I missed the day we learned Ms. Palmer's capital "I". I still stumble and
have to think to do it backwards to move on to the next letter. Ah, the
damage our wee little brains endured. When I see someone do something
terribly cute such as write a big lower case "g" for a capital, I just know
that sometime, somewhere, Ms. Palmer is going to poke their eyes out. Polly

Old October 30th 05, 03:15 AM
Butterfly

No rulers cross the knuckles? Wonder if that isn't why so many of us have
finger artie.....

Butterfly (I HATED the capital T ---looked too much like a F to me--then I
went to 5th Grade and I LOVED the way that teacher made hers--so I adopted
her way--didn't have writing awards in that grade--but we had Spelling Bees)

nk.net...

Old October 30th 05, 10:04 AM
Roberta Zollner

If I'm feeling really anal about signatures or labels, it helps to print out
from the computer, using a cursive font perhaps. Or you could use your own
handwriting, if it's dark enough. Then tape the paper over a light box, tape
the fabric on top, and trace. But mostly I just write really small so any
imperfections will be less visible.
Roberta in D

"Patti" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Yes, I always feel exactly like that, Leslie!
Now I keep it as simple as possible so that I would be very far gone if I
couldn't get it right.
I use my little sheet of sandpaper, go slowly, and concentrate - a lot! I
do use one of the seams as a guide. I write it so that I have no downward
loops.
.
In message .com, Leslie
& The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old October 30th 05, 01:35 PM
Bonnie NJ

When I was in business school, the Palmer Method was required. I was 19 and
learned how to write properly, some had a terrible time.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 30th 05, 02:03 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Well I know what the Palmer Method Penmanship is, they taught it in
the Catholic schools where I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. I was taught
the P. O. Peterson Method in the public schools. We received a new
lesson on Monday and practiced it all week, on Friday we did it in ink
using a "scratch" pen (that was a pen point in a holder and an ink
well) dip and write, dip and write, etc. The writing teacher would
grade our ink "test". I don't think that "they" teach penmanship
anymore.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old October 30th 05, 02:20 PM
Polly Esther

I asked DH if he learned the Palmer Method Penmanship. He said they didn't
have pens. Groan. Another one of those "through 3 feet of snow, uphill -
both ways" tales we're treated to from time to time. I was sorry I had
asked when he got to the part about having to use a pillowcase for the
cotton he had to pick because he was too little to tow a real sack. Polly

Old October 30th 05, 03:25 PM
DrQuilter

no, not really.. and if things are a little off centered I get
creative.. nothing a few hearts or flowers here and there won't fix. but
then again, I used to draw and paint a lot, so I might be more confident
with a drawing/painting instrument in hand...

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:

I always have a stressful moment when I've finished my block(s) and
have to write my name, etc. on them. I freeze up- hoping I won't
misspell a word (LOL!), write crooked-y, get it all off center or some
letters larger than others, the pen stumble on the threads in the
fabric and make misshapen letters, need more space than what is
available without going over a seam or into the seam allowance, etc.

Does everyone else have these feelings/problems? Is there a better
solution? (I've tried doing the writing before piecing or appliquing,
but it doesn't always line up well that way either.)

Leslie (finally caught up on all the hugs) & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)