Questions local shop hops, your experiences and thoughts

Old July 4th 05, 06:13 AM
marbles_2

We have a really great Shop Hop here in Western Washington. I think
there are something like 40 shops and it's held over five days at the
end of June. (I mostly missed it this year but got in a few shops.)
You get a passport at any of the shops for free, and then at each shop
you get a pattern with the main fabric and some coordinating fabrics
(usually donated by In the Beginning and Clothworks) and maybe some
more donated by the shop. You can buy "finish kits" at each shop to
finish the blocks with their choice of fabrics, or just get some of the
official fabrics as long as it lasts. If you get 16 stamps in your
passport, you turn it in for prizes. If you're dedicated and get to all
the shops, you can turn in two passports. Prizes range from a fancy
sewing machine to a quilting retreat for 10 quilting friends and then
numerous other prize packages or gift certificates. They have a poster
with a photo of most of the blocks if you want to buy one (while they
last) to use as a reference but not all the blocks are pictured, and I
kind of like using my own imagination. I've gone with a friend for two
of the years and it was really very fun to spend time chatting in the
car, and then enjoying the festive atmosphere in each shop. (I was
surprised at how many men were participating and not just as the
chauffeur!!) Sometimes there were treats, but I think the biggest
treat was seeing all those ideas displayed in each shop and touching
all that fabulous fabric. It's also a great way to expand your LQS
horizons and find out what shops are best for what you need. And
outside of gas money, it's all free!

I'm truly sorry I didn't get out to the Shop Hop this year, but have
enough fabric and patterns from last year that I think I can make a
nice quilt. (The first year I put together a lap quilt for my mom with
nine blocks and she loves it!)

Old July 4th 05, 09:27 AM
Quiltshophopper

I reread the rules, and now that my fever has gone, it says that the *Kit*
for that particular store's one block of the nine total blocks is $15.00.
And no, I ain't paying $15 for less than 1/8 a yard to make one stinkin
block. The rules don't specify if the store's block pattern is free or not.
The actual sentence said "Recceive a free 12 inch star block kit with your
stamped Roadrunner passport and $15 purchase."

This particular shop charges $1 more per yard than anyone else, the staff
are sour and every single time, without exception, they have "accidently"
make mistakes like charging me $9.50 a yard when the bolt says $8.50, or
charging me for 2 yards when I had 1 1/2 yards cut. And you will never
get one millimeter more than the length you asked for, but you will get an
inch less. Oops! is the common appology when I catch them. Therefore,
they don't get much of my patronage.

If I go there during the hop, I am leaving my wallet in the van.
Cyndi

"Marcella Peek" Are you sure you have to pay at every shop and
not just at the first one?

Old July 5th 05, 01:45 AM
Karen Officer

Pati
when are the shop hops for AZ? My DS just moved to AZ (Glendale) a
week ago, and we hope to visit him in either late September or early
October.
Karen

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:51:17 GMT, in rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,
Pati Cook wrote:

Here in AZ, there is a charge for the passport, but you also get a
cloisonne pin with it. Those usually cost about $5, which is the cost
of the passport. Shops are not supposed to have special sales for the
hop though. This year they are trying to do 3 different hops at
different times of the year. In the past there has only been one, and
it covered the whole state..... which is a heck of a lot of miles. Of
course it has been spread out over 2 weeks/three weekends, which helps.
This year they are all over one week plus the weekends attached.
Each year the "free" goodie that has been connected to all the shops
has changed. Each shop is also encouraged to do extras, door prizes,
drawings, goodies and so on. Some have been a real hoot, some not so.

Haven't done any of this year's, gas is way too expensive and I haven't
had time.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 8th 05, 01:40 AM
Denise in NH

I am coming to NH the first week inOctober to see the fall foliage.
Would you please divulge to us the name of this shop, as a public
service, so that I can be a more informed consumer by shopping where
my patronage is appreciated? I am not going to do that shop owner any
favors! Cyndi
Whispered: "Also tell me what shops are
really good in your state. We fly
into and out of Boston, but we are driving around MA, NH, ME and VT,

chasing the scenery. Thanks!"
Cindi,
I've tried to e-mail you privately with the name of the shop I didn't
care for but it bounced back to me. I'd rather not say their name on
the net. They actually have a very large selection of fine fabrics, I
just didn't like their attitude the day of the shop hop. By the way,
they weren't in NH they were in ME.

Here are a few of the shops I like in NH.
Keepsake is a definite must see and it happens to be in one of the
nicest areas of NH, great for sightseeing. Many of the rest are in the
Southern part of the state, where I live. If you drive up from Boston,
you'll probably drive right by my house, I'm right off the highway.

Must see:
Keepsake in Center Harbor, NH
Chestnut Quilter in Manchester, NH
Quiltopia in Hollis, NH
Pine Tree Quilt Shop in Salem, NH
Sunshine Carousel Quilt Shop in Gratham, NH
Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH
Peggy Anne's in Concord, NH
Calico Cupboard in Rumney, NH
Portsmouth Fabric co. in Portsmouth, NH
The Fabric Garden in Barrington, NH
Little Quilt Store in Amherst NH.

I'm sure there are many more, but this is all I can think of at the
moment.

Remind me again in the fall before you come up and I'll get you many
more shops all around New England. Have you ever been up here before??

Denise

Old July 8th 05, 08:33 AM
Elaine Abner

I work in a quilt shop in GA and we participate in shop hop every year.
The number of stores is usually around 10-12. You have to visit all
stores and have passports stamped at each one to be eligible for 1st and
2nd prize ($100 gift certificate from each shop and sewing machine &
table). Each shop has their own 3rd prize at a $100 value. You don't
have to visit all shops to register for 3rd prizes. We do not charge for
passports or have a minimum purchase. Those requirements are illegal in
GA. The only requirement we have is you have to come into the shop to
get passport stamped. Only 1 passport is allowed per person. Each store
has a free block pattern and instructions for their setting of the group
quilt. They also give additional goodies such as a discount on a future
purchase.
We try to make shop hop enjoyable for all of our customers and we always
have a great time. Elaine

Old July 8th 05, 03:01 PM
Bobbie Sews Moore

Sounds like fun! Where in GA are you?
Barbara in SC---near Greenville

Old July 8th 05, 03:11 PM
Elaine Abner

I'm in Covington, about 40 miles east of Atlanta. Elaine

Old July 8th 05, 04:32 PM
Quiltshophopper

Hey, can I come to GA too? Yours sounds fun!
cyndi

Old July 8th 05, 09:07 PM
Bobbie Sews Moore

Greenville is about 2 hours away from you.
Barbara in SC

Colorscapes shop! Tegan Needlework 13 May 21st 05 01:17 PM
The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Some additional questions Steve Lamb Beads 15 April 3rd 04 03:25 PM
Another South of the Border Run-Part 2 shhdesigns Quilting 2 September 6th 03 06:09 AM
Another South of the Border Run shhdesigns Quilting 11 September 6th 03 05:50 AM