Batting Question?

Old July 8th 04, 07:39 PM
muse9

Default Batting Question?

I am finally making good progress on my very first quilt top! I am using a
9 patch pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner quilting book. The piecing
is going well; I'm learning a lot and loving it!!! In fact I find I have to
stay away from my sewing room unless I know I have the time to sew because
it seems to magnetically pull me in and keep me for hours at a time!

This pattern is for a 30x30 wall hanging but I am making it for a large doll
quilt/lap quilt for my DGD. As I get closer to finishing the piecing I know
I need to think about the batting I will use for this quilt. I've read so
many conflicting opinions on cotton versus poly or cotton and poly blends.
I'm sure this question has come up many time before but I am still fairly
new here and could really use some opinions.

Since this is a doll quilt for a child it will get somewhat rough usage and
will need to be washed occasionally. I read on the bag that cotton batting
will shrink - is this a big problem? I also read that if you use cotton
batting you have to quilt fairly close together and since I'm totally new at
this and don't have much faith in my quilting abilities this concerns me.
Does one batting hold up better than another? I will be machine quilting so
is one better than the other for that?

This small quilt is my first "training quilt". I got mentally hooked on
quilting several months ago and have been soaking up whatever information I
could on the subject. Some of the best information I've received has been
right here with all of you!

I would greatly appreciate any hints or help regarding batting! Thank you
all so much!

Bonnie

--

delete "removespam" to reply

Old July 8th 04, 08:20 PM
Roberta

"muse9" wrote in message
[...]

I am no expert by any means - but...I think the most important thing to
think about is how you are going to quilt it (hand or machine) The way I
understand it - by hand you shouldn't use cotton (or most cottons) it is too
hard to get through.

Also - the amount of quilting needed depends on the brand. The brand will
tell you on the bag (or roll) how close together to quilt safely.

Your question about cotton shrinking - I believe your desired look
determines if this is a problem or not. Some cotton batts can be (should
be?) pre-washed.

I myself - when machine quilting- prefer warm and white (or natural). It is
cotton. I love the way it feels to touch. I do not pre-wash. I like the
crinkly old look that it gives (shhh-I also do not pre-wash my fabric unless
it is a batik or something dark like red or black)

Just my 2 cents....as I have said I am not an expert by any means - but many
here are

Roberta (in MD)

Old July 8th 04, 11:02 PM
Sharon Harper

No offence but - corkscrews! Cotton batting is just as easy to get through
as the pretend polyester! LOL. Geeze are you guys trying to get me mad
before I really wake up?! LOL

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old July 8th 04, 11:12 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"muse9" wrote:

I am finally making good progress on my very first quilt top! I am using a
9 patch pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner quilting book. The piecing
is going well; I'm learning a lot and loving it!!! In fact I find I have to
stay away from my sewing room unless I know I have the time to sew because
it seems to magnetically pull me in and keep me for hours at a time!

Congratulations on your new addiction, Bonnie! We'll be your support
group -- encouraging you to give in to temptation whenever you like. G

[...]

I think you're smart to begin with a smaller quilt before jumping in on
a larger one. As for batting, my favorite is Hobbs 80/20. It's mostly
cotton (80%), with just enough poly (20%) thrown in to make it more
stable and a bit easier for hand quilting when I want to do that.

For machine quilting, an all-poly batt isn't as nice, simply because it
tends to slither, rather than "grabbing" the fabric of the top and
backing, as cotton does. Cotton does shrink, but many people prefer the
look this gives to the finished quilt. If you don't want that look,
simply follow the package directions to pre-wash the batting --
pre-soaking might be a more accurate term. That's what I do, since I
prefer the less "puckery" look, but I think I'm in the minority.

In thinking about how the batts will hold up, consider how many antique
quilts are still with us. g Most of those used natural fibers, such as
cotton, in the batting, and they're doing fine. Cotton batting tends to
become softer and more cuddly over time and with more and more
laundering; that doesn't mean that they're deteriorating, though!

This small quilt is my first "training quilt". I got mentally hooked on
quilting several months ago and have been soaking up whatever information I
could on the subject. Some of the best information I've received has been
right here with all of you!

I would greatly appreciate any hints or help regarding batting! Thank you
all so much!

Bonnie

Best of luck with the quilt, Bonnie, and be sure to show us pics when
it's finished.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 9th 04, 01:19 AM
Polly Esther

I know everything. How I know everything is because I have made all of the
mistakes, some of them several times. Do Not even think about a polyester
batt. Even worse, don't think that a high loft polyester batt is lovely.
Just no telling how many quilters have fallen by the wayside attempting to
machine quilt with those.
The 80% cotton 20% polyester is a batt that is just fine for beginners.
Since I am the senior permanent member of the beginner category, I can
confidently recommend it. Hobbs Premium is a good one.
One day, I'm going to try a silk batt and perhaps a wool one. Just for
the fun of it.
The instructions for washing a batting before use if you are concerned
about shrinkage are on the batt bag. Believe them when they say Do Not let
the machine agitate. They aren't kidding. Did I mention that I have made all
of the mistakes?
Welcome to the addicted. We understand. Polly

Old July 9th 04, 04:25 AM
muse9

This first small quilt will be quilted by machine. I will probably just use
a diagonal grid pattern since the quilt is a nine patch. Thanks for your
suggestions Roberta - I learn so much by reading how others do these things!

Bonnie

Old July 9th 04, 04:29 AM
muse9

Oops! Don't want to get anyone mad! ; ) I do get a very strong impression
that most experienced quilters use the cotton batting!

Thanks for your help and comments Sharon! I do appreciate hearing how
others quilt - this is how I am learning.

Bonnie

Old July 9th 04, 04:39 AM
muse9

Sandy Foster wrote:

Congratulations on your new addiction, Bonnie! We'll be your support
group -- encouraging you to give in to temptation whenever you like. G

Thanks! It is always good to get positive encouragement!

I think you're smart to begin with a smaller quilt before jumping in on
a larger one. As for batting, my favorite is Hobbs 80/20. It's mostly
cotton (80%), with just enough poly (20%) thrown in to make it more
stable and a bit easier for hand quilting when I want to do that.

I figured I had better start small. But, the next project I have planned is
not one, but two I Spy quilts. I can't make one for one of my grandkids
without making one for the other now can I?!

I had wondered about the 80/20 batting. Thanks for your input on it. If
you use that are you as likely to need to pre-shrink it?

For machine quilting, an all-poly batt isn't as nice, simply because it
tends to slither, rather than "grabbing" the fabric of the top and
backing, as cotton does. Cotton does shrink, but many people prefer the
look this gives to the finished quilt. If you don't want that look,
simply follow the package directions to pre-wash the batting --
pre-soaking might be a more accurate term. That's what I do, since I
prefer the less "puckery" look, but I think I'm in the minority.

Here's another question then - if your pre-soak the batting then how do you
dry it? I assume you do NOT want to spin it in the washer. I warned you
all that I am new at quilting, and full of questions!

In thinking about how the batts will hold up, consider how many antique
quilts are still with us. g Most of those used natural fibers, such as
cotton, in the batting, and they're doing fine. Cotton batting tends to
become softer and more cuddly over time and with more and more
laundering; that doesn't mean that they're deteriorating, though!

That makes sense, I had not thought about all the antique quilts.

Best of luck with the quilt, Bonnie, and be sure to show us pics when
it's finished.

Thank you Sandy for all your help. I will put a picture of it up when I get
done.

Bonnie

Old July 9th 04, 04:48 AM
muse9

Polly Esther wrote:

Hello Polly! How I look forward to your responses!

I know everything. How I know everything is because I have made all of the
mistakes, some of them several times. Do Not even think about a polyester
batt. Even worse, don't think that a high loft polyester batt is lovely.
Just no telling how many quilters have fallen by the wayside attempting to
machine quilt with those.

Well, I've always believed that the best way to learn is by our mistakes!
So I have another strong vote in favor of the all cotton batting. This is
good to hear!

The 80% cotton 20% polyester is a batt that is just fine for

beginners.
Since I am the senior permanent member of the beginner category, I can
confidently recommend it. Hobbs Premium is a good one.

Oh, I'm glad you think that is OK - I may start with that one, at least for
this doll quilt. It seems like most people I talk with recommend Hobbs as a
good brand. That is important for me to learn as well.

One day, I'm going to try a silk batt and perhaps a wool one. Just for
the fun of it.

I didn't know you could get a silk batting! That sounds almost decadent!

The instructions for washing a batting before use if you are concerned
about shrinkage are on the batt bag. Believe them when they say Do Not let
the machine agitate. They aren't kidding. Did I mention that I have made

all
of the mistakes?

Ohh, I can imagine the mess you must get if you agitate batting! I did not
even think it was possible to wash it but I guess if you are very careful.
How do you dry your batting if you wash it?

Welcome to the addicted. We understand. Polly

It is so good to get that understanding! I truly feel addicted already!
And all the help I find here is wonderful!

Thanks again,
Bonnie

Wool Batting Question! Dannielle Quilting 11 July 10th 04 07:33 PM
Question on Silk Batting Threaded Quilting 4 July 6th 04 09:29 PM
size fo batting question Ann Quilting 2 April 14th 04 05:20 PM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 22nd 03 12:12 AM
Batting Question Sindir Quilting 4 November 22nd 03 04:36 AM