Look Ma! No hands

Old January 6th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Look Ma! No hands

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:24:19 -0500, NoSpam wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:58:39 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Well, fewer fingers anyway. I don't believe I did this. I was doing a
teensy-tiny close stipple around a giraffe's ear and needled right through a
finger.

Oh dear Polly...I bet your finger is sore, sore sore..... Hopefully
it is not too bad...?

When my sister was about 11, my grandmother was giving us lessons on
her Singer treadle and yes...you guessed it...my sister stitched her
finger! I will NEVER forget that scream...!!

You know, eveybody in our family that has ever sewed a finger has done
it on a treadle.
I think it is that momentum thing. You pull your feet up and the
machine keeps right on going. Which bings to bear the question, why
do you always make your feet move before your fingers when it is the
fingers at hazard?

NightMist
Has never sewed through a finger, but has sort of skimmed them a
couple of times.
--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with
Old January 6th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , NightMist
writes

wrote:

[...]

I learnt to sew on my mother's treadle when I was only three.
Mother suffered from rheumatism in legs and feet. So she sat me on a
stool the other side of the machine and got me to treadle for her.
When she had done I was allowed to go to the other side and sew on paper
with no threads. That was because it was WW11 and cotton was not easy to
get and sewing machine needle practically unobtainable I was sewing
handkerchiefs when I was five and making my own dresses at nine.
When I went to high school after passing the scholarship we had to use
hand machines. Used to having two hands for guiding the material I found
them not so easy.
Result I sewed 3 stitches down the left index finger down the nail,
leaving the needle in my finger. Ouch!!!!!!.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old January 6th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
then. And I'm still dumb enough to use my mouth for a pin cushion when I'm
sewing.... it's just so handy to have the pins right there.

I saw a handy device on a home improvement TV show yesterday that sounds
like something you should look into. It was an arm band, kind of like a
once-around blood pressure cuff, that was full of magnets. It held
nails, screws, wrenches, etc. I'm sure it would hold a few pins. :-)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message

I always thought Berninas were sort of sissy about what they'd stitch
through but that is not so.

Don't you just LOVE that about Berninas? I have a 30-year-old Bernina
830 that I wouldn't let go for any amount of money! There are a few
other machines in my sewing room that I use more frequently, but when I
need power, I go to the Bernina. I'm sorry that yours hurt you, though!
Ouch!!!

Rita L.
Old January 6th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Hugs and purrs from your pal Winston - he knows that it could happen
so quickly and so far he has been lucky enough to miss the needle in
the paw thingy. One of the pfaff accessories is a finger guard for
home sewing machines, similar function to the serger set-up. Hope
that you are a quick healer, Polly. jennellh

On Jan 5, 9:58*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Well, fewer fingers anyway. *I don't believe I did this. *I was doing a
teensy-tiny close stipple around a giraffe's ear and needled right through a
finger. *Since the ambulances must come in here via pirogue and nobody comes
in after dark, doing something stupid is simply not acceptable.
* * I'm a maniac about safety. *I always buckle my seat belt, have thought
about buying a helmet (and this is just for in the garage), carefully
dispose of needles, wrap used rotary blades with enough cardboard to keep
them covered for at least 100 years . . . but, I was SO focused on where I
was going that I wasn't looking at where I was.
* * Don't think it could happen to you? *I didn't either. Be careful.. *It's
a good thing I'm not math challenged. *Counting on my fingers will have to
factor in a 10% variable. *And for all the animal lovers, the giraffe is
just fine. *Polly

Old January 6th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

OOOOOPPPPPOOOLLYYYY! I can just see it....OWIE, OWIE, OWIE!
get healed quickly and dont forget the tetnus shot. If you havent had
one in 10 yrs, it's time.

Speaking of OWIEs....John: How is your hand??? all better i hope!

amy in CNY
Old January 6th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

The injury looks just fine this morning, not nearly as bad as what pruning
rose bushes can do. Speaking of . . . what's become of our Butterfly?
Wonder if she has some beauties showing off for her new neighbors. Polly

Old January 6th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Ouch! How about a "helmet" for your fingers, those mesh gloves butchers use.
You could even dip the palms in rubber gunk to turn them into quilting
gloves.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Well, fewer fingers anyway. I don't believe I did this. I was doing a
teensy-tiny close stipple around a giraffe's ear and needled right through
a finger. Since the ambulances must come in here via pirogue and nobody

Old January 6th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Forgot to ask, who removed the needle?
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm afraid I was listening to the news and weather . . . certainly Not a
good choice tonight. And John's right. The Bernina is simply sitting
there with no sympathy whatsoever. In fact, I think I heard her mumble
something that sounded a whole lot like, "Stupid". Polly

"Taria" wrote in message
Oh my Polly. I have btdt and I feel your pain. You will heal but gosh
it will hurt in the meanwhile. I guess with the recent thread here on
quilting environments I have to ask if you had the tv on or were
listening to music.
Big healing hugs to you,
Taria

Polly Esther wrote:
Well, fewer fingers anyway. I don't believe I did this. I was doing a
teensy-tiny close stipple around a giraffe's ear and needled right
through a finger. Since the ambulances must come in here via pirogue

Old January 6th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

That's good news, Polly, and a relief to hear. Keep on healing quickly, and
um - - keep your eyes on what you're doing not what you're going to do?
Okay?
Hugs,

Karen, Queen of Squishies
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
music is all around us, all you
have to do is listen

Old January 6th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Oh Polly, wellcome to the club! I did this last year on New Year's Eve
and refused to go to the emergency room with all the drunks. I went a
few days later for a tetnus shot - as you should do. It sounds like
yours went right through, as mine did, and didn't break.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

hands michele Glass 9 November 15th 07 08:39 PM
knitting with both hands Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 6 January 24th 07 05:51 AM
sore hands Emma's Mom Yarn 8 October 2nd 06 06:09 PM
Sculpting Hands Kim Polymer Clay 3 February 3rd 06 07:40 PM
OT Whose hands are these? Marisa Cappetta Beads 27 June 7th 04 12:38 PM