OT no thanks - Long

Old May 2nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT no thanks - Long

Should be able to be done -- just have everyone who joins agree to go
with the "don't mail me, I'll check on the web" option for mailing --
unless you want the announcements to come into your mailbox.... I'd
make it open to the public though so no one would have to join to post
their "I got it!" or join to check and see if somethign was received
(the timing for some might serve as a give-away if someone was tricky
enough to look)

I'll poke around into doing it....if it gets done, if someone wants to
use it, they could just include a request to mail to a certain address
(the yahoo group address) that it was received -- then person #1 would
be free to go check at their leisure to see if it was received.

Off to look into it (really procrastinating on homework),
Tricia

Old May 2nd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Thanks On Topic OT no thanks - Long

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Doesn't bother me, either, that different opinions are expressed here.
Esp. when NO OFFENSE is intended.

And I'll express one, with no offense intended! *grin*

When I send a squishy, I prefer to receive a private note. Why? Because I
like to know it was received, and since I don't read every single message on
the newsgroup, I easily miss public thanks. Beyond that, it doesn't bother
me one way or the other if thanks are public or private.

But I wholeheartedly agree with you about the best way to get squishies is
to get yourself to the post office. Hey, I can throw a pity party with the
best of them. But you know what? No one else shows up, and I don't have a
very good time, even if I do get all the ice cream for myself. Life's too
short. I'd rather spend it quilting and bringing a smile to someone else.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Squishy acknowledgement group WAS no thanks - Long

Okay, I've set up a group if anyone wishes to use it either now or in
the future---- If you don't wanna, that's okay, I'm not gonna make ya
-- I just wanted to make the option available.

rctq_squishy at yahoogroups dot com

It is completely open to the public so don't post personal identifiable
information in there anymore than you would post such information to
this newsgroup.

Tricia

Old May 2nd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
Polly, I'm with you. I haven't felt right about the recent flurry of public
thank yous here.

I agree, Karen, though I will make an exception for an anonymous
squishie -- there is no other way to acknowledge it, and the sender then
knows that it got to its intended destination. Otherwise, I think the
thank yous can just as well be kept to e-mail.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 2nd 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you for posting this. It's long over due. A while back, it was
decided not to publicly thank or acknowledge squishes on the group. Now,
over half the mail is such. Privately acknowledging is much nicer.
Gen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
If I send you a squishie or thunkie or gator, please don't thank me out

here
in front of everybody. I cannot afford to send something to everybody. I
truly can not - as much as I would love to show every one of you how
special I know you are. If I send something anonymously, it's because I
wanted to. Just enjoy it.
If you have sent something here to share love with the baby Katrina
survivors, I won't be thanking you here either. I deeply appreciate your
caring and try my level best to thank you personally. But, I know that
there are some who don't have the time or the money to give to these

little
ones. Or they have their own charities or their own troubled lives just

now
and other concerns. What I'm hoping to express is that I don't think

that
it is good to say thank you or expect a thank you in front of the entire
group. I believe that doing this could cause pain to those who have not
received or can not give.
If possible, a personal thank you is just so much better. Of course
that's not possible with something such as a dazzling gator hug. I still
don't need lights in the bedroom. That warmth just goes on and on. And -
While I have the podium, celebrate with me for one more Katrina
survivor. We had one very old, very glorious old oak way out on the back
property line. She's been down for many months now. We knew she was

dead.
No, indeed, she is not. It's spring here in the Swamp and that strong

lady
is leafed out as if she were standing tall. What a show. Thank you for
listening. Polly

Old May 2nd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm with you.
Gen

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @ KarenTucker.com wrote in message
Polly, I'm with you. I haven't felt right about the recent flurry of

public
thank yous here. An occasional one like we used to get was overlooked,

but
the recent and prolific thanks bothers a lot of people. A lot, and they
won't say so. And it's getting boring, to be quite honest. Quite
repetitive, and I just say to myself every day - oh, another squishy, and
mark it read. Don't mean to sound hard here, I know the squishies are fun
to send and fun to get, and you want to tell somebody. Just expressing

that
I, personally, would recommend using email instead of the ng. I don't

know
if my vote counts for anything, but that's the way I would vote if it

does.

Karen, Queen of the realm of Squishies

Old May 2nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This was in the FAQ's which were just posted again yesterday, as they are
from time to time.

When you get a chance to welcome someone else, or you see a piece that
reminds you of someone on RCTQ, send your own 'no reason' squishie. It all
manages to come back to you, in one form or another. One thing seems to be
agreed-upon, however: PLEASE acknowledge the receipt of your squishie, and
do so privately (through e-mail, not through this newsgroup). Whether you've
received the fabric as a result of a swap, or as a surprise gift, the sender
needs to know you've received it (but *only* the sender--no one else is
interested). These same guidelines apply to sending squishies: if you wish
to alert people to be on a lookout for some fabric, do so privately through
e-mail. Sometimes it happens that the only way you can contact someone is
through RCTQ. In that case, please refer to first names or e-mail addresses
only. Many people have no wish to have their last names known or made public
on/through the newsgroup.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
should we change the FAQ's?

Old May 2nd 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Why, it states not to do the thanking publicly unless.....after all
options are exhausted, really and truly exhausted you can do it through
the newsgroup.

I think the problem is that some are sending and not hearing about it.
Sometimes you won't. That is the chance you take by sending
anonymously. The hope is that squishie love will be passed on to
someone else and that should be thanks enough.

marcella

In article zHL5g.928397$x96.731878@attbi_s72,

Old May 2nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you Polly....I agree with you also.
Here are my 2 cents. They aren't directed at any specific person(s) and I
hope I don't have to don flameproof undies.

I was taught that if you give anonymously you must be willing to let it go
with the knowlege that your gift will find it's way to where it's needed
most and that may not be the person that it was originally intended for.
IMHO if someone wants to be thanked or needs to know that their gift arrived
safely where it was intended then it should not be sent anonymously.

I completely understand the recipient's wish to be able to thank someone. I
think we were all raised to be polite. If you know who sent the gift then a
private thank you is certainly in order. If it was sent anonymously then
(again IMO)
the best way to be thankful is to graciously (and quietly) accept the gift
and pay
it forward when you can.

I was also taught that nature always finds a way. I'm so happy that your
grand old oak may be down but not out! )
~~
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."