OT no thanks - Long

Old May 2nd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT no thanks - Long

If I send you a squishie or thunkie or gator, please don't thank me out here
in front of everybody. I cannot afford to send something to everybody. I
truly can not - as much as I would love to show every one of you how
special I know you are. If I send something anonymously, it's because I
wanted to. Just enjoy it.
If you have sent something here to share love with the baby Katrina
survivors, I won't be thanking you here either. I deeply appreciate your
caring and try my level best to thank you personally. But, I know that
there are some who don't have the time or the money to give to these little
ones. Or they have their own charities or their own troubled lives just now
and other concerns. What I'm hoping to express is that I don't think that
it is good to say thank you or expect a thank you in front of the entire
group. I believe that doing this could cause pain to those who have not
received or can not give.
If possible, a personal thank you is just so much better. Of course
that's not possible with something such as a dazzling gator hug. I still
don't need lights in the bedroom. That warmth just goes on and on. And -
While I have the podium, celebrate with me for one more Katrina
survivor. We had one very old, very glorious old oak way out on the back
property line. She's been down for many months now. We knew she was dead.
No, indeed, she is not. It's spring here in the Swamp and that strong lady
is leafed out as if she were standing tall. What a show. Thank you for
listening. Polly

Old May 2nd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I stepped away from the mike too soon. While I'm up, I need to tell Patti S
that her email is gone goofy again. Polly

Old May 2nd 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My feelings exactly Polly

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

nk.net...

Old May 2nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've got to get going this morning, but wonder if you've seen the statistics
about the FEMA evictions. It appears that there are at least 3,000
'families' in Tennessee who are having their rent paid for them that are
ineligible because their former homes are habitable. Now that's truly
mind-boggling. Polly

"Boca Jan" wrote My feelings exactly Polly

Old May 2nd 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hurray for another Katrina survivor! We have a beautiful Oak in our
backyard that must be hundreds of years old. She took a beating with the
ice storm but still going strong and standing tall as ever. They are so
majestic. If she could talk, the stories she would have. It is DDs
favorite tree and fairies live in there too! ;o).

Thanks for sharing.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Treasure your Mind, Cherish your Reason, Hold to your Purpose
Epictetus (52 c.e - 135 c.e.)

Old May 2nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So. FL. was fairly lucky this season (as much as you can say you were lucky
to have hurricanes going through your back yard several times a season.) We
lost our screened in porch, along with many others. Ins. companies will no
longer cover them unless you pay an extra premiums. Needless to say we no
longer have a screened in patio. The good news is we can now see out of our
glass doors better without looking through the screening.

One more month and here they come again. My DIL are still having to deal
with condo repairs from 2 years ago! They are hoping the repairs get
finished soon so they can sell and re-locate. They live along the beach.

But the weather is sooooooo nice from October through May.

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poo_de_doo/my_photos

k.net...

Old May 2nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly, I'm with you. I haven't felt right about the recent flurry of public
thank yous here. An occasional one like we used to get was overlooked, but
the recent and prolific thanks bothers a lot of people. A lot, and they
won't say so. And it's getting boring, to be quite honest. Quite
repetitive, and I just say to myself every day - oh, another squishy, and
mark it read. Don't mean to sound hard here, I know the squishies are fun
to send and fun to get, and you want to tell somebody. Just expressing that
I, personally, would recommend using email instead of the ng. I don't know
if my vote counts for anything, but that's the way I would vote if it does.

Karen, Queen of the realm of Squishies

Old May 2nd 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

you can get a delivery confirmation for 60c.
Sometimes things do go to limbo when you send them.
If they are gone and not insured they are just gone
anyway.
I'm with Polly on this one but whatever floats your
boat. I can skip msgs.
Taria

Tricia wrote:

Hurray for the Tree!

As one who has sent and received anonymous squishies, I have to say I
appreciate the posts on the newsgroup for those situations (otherwise,
I have no way to know/notify of the arrival of a surprise. I wouldn't
have realized that the one I sent last month hadn't found the proper
home if I hadn't been "cruising" the group looking for an
acknowledgment from the intended recipient -- be it TQ or just an "I
got one", either one works) If the TQs for those weren't allowed here,
I'd feel *very* uncomfortable with not being *able* to thank the
person. Being able to do so on the group *allows* me to just enjoy it
rather than frantically feeling like I have to scrutinize clues to find
out who to thank personally (I was raised to thank, so sue me =P )

I understand from the responses to my thread that there are folks who
would prefer to not receive anonymous squishies -- myself, I have found
them a delight to receive. Not better than known squishies but a
different sort of feel-good. I think we've had a rash of those kinds
of posts lately because a few people have found the joy of anonymous
sending and are doing a whole bunch at once. I have noticed over the
years that this tends to happen in the first few months the latest
directory is out -- lots of squish receiving and sending.

I do think when personal TQs are possible they should be -- if you must
also share on the group (becuase you are bursting otherwise), I think
it is better that the sender's name not be shared. That said, I do
like hearing (usually) about people receiving their goodies for planned
swaps and such (like the holiday thing that went on this past year).
That helps generate enthusiam for future things in my opinion.

Sorry if my post yesterday prompted some of this -- It isn't that I
expect a TQ in front of everyone -- I was just underlining my concern
at probably having sent fabric into limbo land and how to avoid it
(while still being anonymous) in the future. As it turned out, I had
to come out of the shadows on this one which was really one I wanted to
just *be*. Oh well, other times for that I suppose.

And I don't think *anyone* expects someone to get for everyone, even if
they could financially -- it just doesn't work that way. The reasons
for squishies are as varied as we are individuals....I've heard that
concern (about only being able to do for a few or very ocassionally)
from a few different people over the years about a few different things
(squishies, participating in hugs, postcard requests, etc.) and I wish
I could put y'all's concerns to rest: your friendship means more than
any package/treat/etc _ever_ could and you give of your friendship
freely and with a lot of love. Anyone who *expects* more, just doesn't
get it! We love each of you for who you _are_, not what you send us.

If public acknowledgements/TQs are going to be taboo here on the group,
I think we need to have another avenue put in place -- maybe a yahoo
group that doesn't send out the message but just keeps it to be looked
at like a group post or something so the anonymous senders can know it
got received and the receivers can allay that part of them that screams
with guilt if they can't acknowledge.

Anyway, that's my more than 2 cents worth....

I should be doing homework,
Tricia

Old May 2nd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tricia, can you set up such a group? I think it sounds wonderful, like a
squishy party place someone can go to at any time, and celebrate!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old May 2nd 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Thanks On Topic OT no thanks - Long

Howdy!
I like reading the thank you notes.

ANY notes I don't care to read I skip over.

The Thank You notes are usually short, too the point, ON TOPIC,
and inform us stash raiders where the recent goodies are now. g

Btw, any one who gets upset about the Thanks for the Squishy notes
because she/he isn't receiving Squishies needs to get off the pity pot
and over to the post office. Sending encourages receiving.
"You wanna' play the Squishy Game? Get involved."
Addresses are available via several paths.

Can't afford to play Squishy Sender? No problem. Things change,
maybe you can send an encouraging email, a funny cartoon, keep a
birthday list and sing a surprise Happy Birthday!

I will continue to read and enjoy the "Thank You"s.
With so little common courtesy displayed nowadays, any that shows up
is appreciated by A LOT of us.

As with most Usenet ngs, the fewer rules: the better. ;-)

Doesn't bother me, either, that different opinions are expressed here.
Esp. when NO OFFENSE is intended.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy -- Thank you for reading this far.
Want a squishy? Send addy.