need some math help

Old February 15th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default need some math help

My MIL is making a graduation quilt for my niece (her granddaughter) and we
have hit a snag. The pattern that dn wanted was too small so we decided to
set it on point and turn it into a medallion quilt. The medallion is
finished now and she is ready to add the right triangles to the four sides.
Here is our problem: How does she figure out how big to cut these
triangles? The medallion is 33 inches square. My Mary Ellen Hopkins book
says to take a piece of the background fabric and fold it back on itself
until you have a right triangle whose hypotaneuse is at least two inches
larger than the side of the medallion. Then she can cut it down to size
because bigger is better than not having a triangle that is large enough. I
understand this but I am not sure how to make her see it when she is in
Illinois and I am in Texas.
Can anyone help with figuring out how large to cut these setting triangles?

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old February 15th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://mccallsquilting.com/artheblk/...ks//index.html
heres a first place to look.
i'll find some more if you need them.
good luck with all of it.
jeanne
melting the south pacific
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"judy in fort worth" wrote ...

Old February 15th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

http://mccallsquilting.com/lessons/listing/
sorry, should of given you this link.
this page is all the links to important info.
wait, heres another one with good links too.
http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.ne...inePiecing.htm
cheers,
jeanne

Old February 15th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well - the "exact" answer is about 24 1/4" {sqrt of (33 X 33) / 2}
+ 7/8 = 24.21"

I wouldn't cut less than 26" myself.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

et...

Old February 15th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Forgot to add - I do a lot of these layouts and for
triangles cut from squares this big it is a help to iron
the fabric with a bit of spray starch before folding
and cutting the triangles, to prevent distortion
along the bias edge as you handle it. If you are
worried about the starch it will rinse out in cold
water later.

Old February 15th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Measure 33" along the diagonal line on your cutting mat and see which
vertical line it ends up, then round up an inch or so.

Danged if that isn't the most HELPFUL of suggestions.
No math involved!
Gonna have to try and remember that one.

Old February 15th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Of course, it's only helpful if you start at the corner! ;-)
Roberta in D

"L" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Measure 33" along the diagonal line on your cutting mat and see which
vertical line it ends up, then round up an inch or so.

Danged if that isn't the most HELPFUL of suggestions.
No math involved!
Gonna have to try and remember that one.

Star quilt math (you may want to keep) Listpig Quilting 14 August 16th 05 02:44 AM
OT Story - Math Skills Jalynne Beads 3 May 2nd 04 04:23 AM
Math Problems Diana Curtis Quilting 19 April 16th 04 08:00 PM
OT - More about Engineers Bonnie Needlework 26 August 5th 03 07:34 AM