What use is a wall hanging?

Old January 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What use is a wall hanging?

I did actually think about this the other evening Patti. I seriously
considered doing this but wondered if it would be tacky of me to not
just redo the whole thing!? LOL

Thanks for the reassurance, I think I will suggest this to her and see
what she thinks.

Hugs,
Tina

Old January 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You don't have to make anything you don't want to make! Room for all sorts
:-)
But you do sort of have to make everything you DO want to make. I think.

Sometimes there's an ugly wall in a spot where we really can't put a
bookshelf (the wall behind the TV where all the phone, internet and
satellite boxes are stuck on is one.) A quilt covers all this up very nicely
and is easy to move when we need to get to a box.

Sometimes I make something just to try out a design, and it isn't big enough
for much of anything, and I don't want to make a big one, but I really like
it in itself -wall hanging or table topper! Better than filling up the UFO
shelf. These things make great little gifts too, when you need a little
gift.
Roberta in D

"Kate Dicey" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This is an anthill question - poke with a sharp stick and see what
happens!

Now basic lap and bed quilts make sense: I get cold, I need covering up!
Shared with a cat is even better!

Cushion covers: yup, they make sense!

Throws for furnitu oh, yes! Saves having to make a fitted slip cover!
I'd much rather make quilts! And a nice quilt thrown over a board on top
of a stack of plastic crates makes a pretty side table!

But quilted walls? Um, no, on the whole! I'd rather cover the walls with
books! Table runners don't do much for me either. OK, they LOOK pretty,
but I like to see the wood on my antique dining table! And I have nice
wooden trivets that are easy to wash... This is not to say some wall
hangings and table runners are not nice - most are very nice indeed. Just
not for me to make. (But I reserve the right to change my mind any time!)

So what do YOU like to make, and why? Just curious...
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 17th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

It's a good way to practice a new technique. I also like the "warm" look
lots of quilts give to a room. The only large wall space I have has a
large antique log cabin quilt hanging. I have another smaller space in
my dining room where I hang my various seasonal wall hangings. I use
small hangings on the front door to my apartment; they too are seasonal.

I use table runners on the coffee table, end table, sideboard, etc. I
made a Christmas table runner especially so I wouldn't worry about
trivets or hot pads for Christmas dinner. I think table runners should
be very washable

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 17th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:

I'd rather cover the walls with books!

I also like my walls covered with books, but I do have a bit of room
for seasonal wall covering.

Table runners don't do much for me either.

OK, I like them an the smallest QI (Pinkee Squeek-a-Lotta) loves them,
she knows that I make them just for her. Besides they make her
"observation platform" more comfortable.

So what do YOU like to make, and why? Just curious...

More time...

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old January 17th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:48:04 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

So what do YOU like to make, and why? Just curious...

Gigormous bed quilts mostly.
Sometimes smaller bed quilts for smaller people.

I made a window cover once. Window was never opened, the blinds over
it were never opened, it was just a heat loss. So I made a quilt for
it and velcroed the bugger down around the edges.

Great idea!

I have done a couple of blocks that were fun for one block, but would
not have been fun for one or two hundred blocks. Most of them became
potholders.

I have some like that I'm saving to make a big odd block quilt for the car.

There are few other things, like the peeled orange pattern that I just
started out making way too small and was turned into a pillow when it
got to being around 2 feet in area, the bear paws that became pockets
on a dolly dress, spare blocks being turned into doll and bear quilts
etc. Then there were the two field of diamonds play mats. Those were
fun and fast. Ran them off out of 70's vintage poly suiting, birthed
them with old towels for baking, filled them with shredded foam
rubber, and tied them with carpet warp like an old style mattress (but
no buttons). But stuff like this is more the exception than the rule.

Since I also do lace, embroidery, most fancy needlework, and most arts
of creatively tangling thread, I really don't have much use at my
house for a lot of quilted home decor things. Though If I ever move
into another house with shoddy insulation I will likely have quilts
hanging on every wall.

Prettier than polystyrene tiles!

Outside of bed quilts I probably do more quilting in garment sewing
than any other purpose. It can be very nice especially here where it
gets cold.

Garments... Yup, I see a quilted jacket in the future! I have a sari I
want to try this with...

NightMist
where there is no snow and the lake temperature is above freezing,
when winter comes back we are going to get so pounded!

Old January 17th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Just in case nobody said it already; they make great gifts...they are small
enough and usually quickly made, but look like you lavished major amounts of
time and effort!!...and for the hard to please or hard to buy for because of
*special* interests they can be the perfect gift...not likely to be trotted
back to the Wal-Mart...;-)

Alison

Old January 17th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hmm. I make lap quilts and baby quilts. No room on our walls for
anything, and I'd be nervous about assuming that anything I did as a
gift would work for the recipient, either in terms of decor or space. No
bed quilts for others for the same reasons--and none for us because I
don't think I have the attention span! Lap quilts seem just perfect for
me--they make fewer demands of me and of the giftee... Ditto baby quilts.

--Heidi

Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Old January 17th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Depends on how big the wall is! One of the things that attracted me to my
current house was the two-storey high wall in the living room: it's a great
"backdrop" for a full-size quilt. And yes, these quilts occasionally go on
beds too, but they're wonderful "artworks" on the wall:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...jacob2_jpg.htm

But sometimes I do quilts that are meant to be hung: small or large. For
example:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...called_jpg.htm
wouldn't have the impact on a sofa or bed -- the lettering needs to hang
straight to be read.

And sometimes there's a "hidden" purpose for a wallhanging, like this one
done to protect the wall behind it:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...chalet_jpg.htm

Of course, I do table runners too: there's a table runner on my dining room
table all the time, and for casual dinners, I use the table runner with
placemats on the side. I'm making more and more long table runners that work
as "place settings" for the two end places, like this one for advent:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...reaths_jpg.htm
as opposed to just small table centres.
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...rossrunner.htm

Either way, I do like a "dressed" table.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old January 17th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kate Dicey wrote:

[...]

I'm with you -- quilts on walls just aren't my aesthetic. I've made only
three and a half quilts so far, but I like making ones that can be used.

--
SML