Your Favorite Block/Blocks?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:44 AM
clancy

I love love love Dresden Plate - anything appliqué but especially this one.

Sharon (N.B.)

"Patti S" wrote in message
I love, love, love "Grandma's Fan", or it's sometimes called "Antique
Fan". It's so beautiful and feminine when done in pastels. I also love
"Ohio Star". I've done both of those blocks many times.......

Patti in Seattle

Old July 23rd 05, 02:54 AM
Polly Esther

Welcome home, Lia. I thought I saw you were back just the other day but was
in a major hurry and didn't get to wave. Come sit by me and tell us how
you've been and what you're quilting. We left the light on for you. Polly

"Julia Altshuler" wrote On page 77 of Jinny Beyer's _The Quilter's Album
of Blocks & Borders_,
there's a block called "Best of All." To my mind, the name says it all.
It is only moderately complicated to make but has a lot going on in it.
There's something about the way the you get illusions of squares behind
squares that I love. I don't usually end up making it as repeated blocks
separated by sashing. Instead, I use one giant block as the basis for the
whole quilt.

--Lia

Old July 23rd 05, 04:16 AM
~KK in BC~

At the moment I am loving doing little bow ties. The easy way of making
them, not the long way.
I don't have a ONE block that turns my crank, I tend to be rather undecided
and the best is by far the finished blocks.

~KK in BC~

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No trees were killed in the sending

"~Ann~" wrote in message
I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?

Ann

Old July 23rd 05, 06:31 AM
~Ann~

Uschi wrote..

I love card trick blocks. No matter how many different blocks I make, if
I need a "quick idea" I always return to that one.
Uschi
~Ann~ schrieb:
I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?
Ann

----------------------------------
The card trick block is my 2nd favorite.. I am looking forward to making
more of them in various sizes and fabric selections! Ann

Old July 23rd 05, 07:32 AM
~Ann~

Everyone please bear with me in my efforts to c/c/p your responses. I
am having a heck of a time trying to learn and remember just how
to do that (I have webtv)

So have decided, for now, since you all are a forgiving NG, that I will
post a rather informal post to several of you in one post, otherwise Im
afraid it just wont get posted at all, LOL! So here goes..

Patti, the block I made of the Weathervane does not have a center small
square that matches those outer thingys..instead there is an illusion of
a large overall square made of large floral print ... I think its so
pretty..

To those of you who have mentioned about the 9-Patch (Debi, Mauvice,
Anne in Ca, Lia and probably others), thank you for your responses. I
have about decided that the 9-Patch is my favorite way also. Also, I
think I need a quilting dictionary, LOL, because when I said "repeat", I
meant various fabrics used for the same block and using sashing!
Actually the pattern just seems to jump out at me in my sampler
quilt-top. Lia may have a good idea for me bout making a large central
block! (Also, Lia, I am interested in any of Jinny Beyers books, so
will look for it). Well, many thanks to others also. I have a lot to
learn in my quiltin adventures...

Ann

Old July 23rd 05, 01:04 PM
Denise in NH

Favorite block?

One of the first blocks I made was a Churn Dash and I still really like
it. I tend to like the traditional ones the most.

I have a few yards of a beautiful burgundy on cream toile and I think it
will be done in the Churn Dash with a little solid burgundy for the
contrast. I recently saw this done, not sure if it was on this group,
or somewhere else on the net, but it was beautiful. It's one of the
fabrics that, up until now, was just for fondling, but I think it has
found its purpose.

I also like Rail Fence and Log Cabin

Denise

Old July 23rd 05, 01:23 PM
Julia Altshuler

Polly Esther wrote:
Welcome home, Lia. I thought I saw you were back just the other day but was
in a major hurry and didn't get to wave. Come sit by me and tell us how
you've been and what you're quilting. We left the light on for you. Polly

Thanks for the warm welcome, but I don't think I'll be staying long. I
quit all my usenet groups several months ago when I realized they'd
become like television for me, something I spent too much time on in
proportion to the interactive benefit I was getting. That's not to say
that there's no benefit, only that my timing and priorities were getting
skewed. I rejoined usenet last week when Jim was going to be out of
town for a business conference so I'd have people to chat with when I
had the computer all to myself. Jim gets back on Sunday.

You could say that I was still working on a wedding gift for my new
sister-in-law for these past months. Everything has been put away while
my sewing room got redone. Jim painted and put in bookshelves. This is
all far fancier than I expected and took longer than I wanted, but the
results are spectacular. I've been glorying in every little decision
about what to put where. I've refolded my entire stash, resorted it.
I've dropped off books to the library book sale and still have more.
I've considered the most efficient way to work, gotten all the thread
together, found buttons hiding in the most unexpected places and rounded
them up. Now I'm a little scared to mess everything up by actually
working. Besides, the sewing room looks so good that my quilts pall in
comparison. Someone with a sewing room like this should be producing
masterpieces.

My not-related-to-quilting news involves a project I've been involved in
to contact my 6th grade elementary school class of 1970. We went to a
lab school, a public school that was a sort of pre-cursor to today's
charter schools. Because it wasn't a local neighborhood school, we all
went off to different junior highs and high schools. Now I'm trying to
round everyone up, find out what happened to everyone. There were 60 in
our combined classes. I've contacted 14 so far with some dedicated
sleuthing on the Internet. I want to get their opinions on how the
educational innovations worked out. I'm also asking about integration
as our school was one of the first in the area to be integrated, but my
real interest is the hardest to ask about.

I recall being the lowest of the pecking order in the social
heirarchies. I was a shy and awkward kid who got made fun of and had
few friends. As far as I'm concerned, I've completely grown out of it.
I have no trouble being polite and friendly in a wide variety of
social situations and think I have a good eye for figuring out whom to
trust and get to know better, but I had troubles in all those areas
early on. I read Odd Girl Out a few years ago and had my eyes opened to
how I didn't really have it so bad comparitively and the extent to which
even the clique leaders don't have it so good. Part of my project
involves talking to the girls (can't think of them as grown women) who I
perceive as being the ones who tormented me and getting their side of
the story. So far, it has been fascinating. Everyone I've contacted
has been completely friendly, helpful, open, and giving. If they
remember anything having to do with social heirarchies, they're not
carrying them over to the present day.

So that's what I've been up to.

--Lia

Old July 23rd 05, 01:58 PM
Susan Laity Price

I really like your research project. Sorry that the school district
has not done such a follow-up. Our school district spends a lot of
money projecting the future but doesn't look at the past to see what
worked and what didn't.

I haven't been back to any of my reunions. We went to my husband's
40th High School reunion and learned a lot about my husband. (One
major point was that the long skinny frame he was teased about in hs
has aged much better than some of the jocks.) There were only 42 in
his graduating class so they knew each other well. Dave left the state
to attend graduate school and has never moved back. His family left
the area while he was in college. One comment was great. His hs math
teacher was just starting her teaching career when she had him for a
student. Their agreement was that she would spend all the time with
him that he wanted outside of class but he was never to ask a question
during class. He was interested in much deeper level of math than the
other students. This teacher saw to it that the school formed a math
team so he could compete with students from other schools (he won top
honors for math students in all of LA) Her comment to him at the
reunion was that if she had known back then what she knows now about
teaching she would have made him work much harder!

An article in the newspaper today says that nerds now rule. The
cheerleader and jock with the perfect hair are no longer the leaders
in the schools. I don't know about that but I do know that the nerds
that live in my house make a lot more money than most of those fellows
that majored in business. Thank you Bill Gates.

Susan

Old July 23rd 05, 06:57 PM
gundoc

Maybe we can have a block swap?? I would love to do one. I love the dresden
plate block, redwork (also like the bluework & greenwork - just use 1 color
DMC floss). Here is what I like about the dresden plate block - use the 30's
or use the plaids on the solid block. Also I would like to make a signature
block (friendship block swap?).

Marcie
"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
(Denise in NH) wrote:

Favorite block?

One of the first blocks I made was a Churn Dash and I still really like
it. I tend to like the traditional ones the most.

I have a few yards of a beautiful burgundy on cream toile and I think it
will be done in the Churn Dash with a little solid burgundy for the
contrast. I recently saw this done, not sure if it was on this group,
or somewhere else on the net, but it was beautiful. It's one of the
fabrics that, up until now, was just for fondling, but I think it has
found its purpose.

I also like Rail Fence and Log Cabin

Denise

Ooooh, Denise, I can't wait to see that! I love toile fabrics!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Favorite blocks? Johanna Gibson Quilting 15 December 23rd 04 01:56 PM
How about we share our favorite stamping/recycling techniques? Jolly Green Stamper Rubberstamps 16 October 15th 04 12:11 PM
Favorite Knitting Books?? DVR Yarn 12 June 28th 04 12:40 AM
OT Diaries!! Gillian Murray Needlework 2 December 24th 03 05:37 PM