New VIRUS warning

Old September 25th 03, 10:29 AM
earthmagic

I'm curious. Are you attempting to use Mailwasher with your regular ISP
email, or with a webmail server? ie. Hotmail or Yahoo?

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
I downloaded MailWasher a few days ago. I ran into trouble when I was

asked
to insert user name and password. One or both (did not specify which) was
not accepted. The user name that was "automatically" inserted was wrong,
but I tried that too and still got rejected.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"Donna in Idaho (remove invalid)"
wrote in message ...
Ruth, that's the reason you need to get MailWasher as soon as possible.

You
don't have to wait for all those attachments to download when you use
MailWasher. Their site is still under construction - I just checked. I
would guess that they have been inundated with download requests since

this
new round of 'crap' started. Here's the e-mail address listed on the

'under
construction' page:
Don't know whether it would work or not, but

you
could e-mail them and ask how you can get their program now.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
Advice received from a MS employee (married to my grand-niece): ignore

them.
HE's not the one who has to wait 1 to 2 hours for them to download!

(Any
suggestions as to how I might get HIM on their list?)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Barbara Vaughan wrote:

Monique Reed wrote:

Today I got an e-mail supposedly from Microsoft Tech Support

that
contained what was alleged to be a security patch for their

system.
What the attachment contained was, in fact, a virus so new that

many
antivirus programs don't detect it....

[snip]

A few common-sense things to remember about emails and the
viruses that come with them.

1) It is very easy to make an email appear to come from

somewhere
different than the real source. Do not assume, just because the
email says it is from Microsoft, Apple, Norton/Symantec, McAfee,
or some other source that you might ordinarily trust, that it

really
is from that company...

Actually, if it says it's from Microsoft, you can be very sure

that
it's
faked. They never send out emails to their clients. I believe the

same
is true of Norton. Both advise you of updates when you open their
software.

I have been getting scores of these fake Microsoft emails for

weeks
now.
Today the quantity actually quadupled, so that I have well over 50

in
less than 24 hours. At this point, my email is becoming paralyzed

by
the
sheer quantity, quite aside from the viruses. (And yes, I use an
anti-spam software, but it's far from perfect.)

Barbara

Ha!! I came back from the weekend away to find over 3000 emails,

almost
all of which were this thing with variations on the tile and sender.

DH
set me up with Mail Washer so I can pick them off at the server

without
having to download them. Still took an hour to sort it out. Bloody
pain... Mutter mutter mutter...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old September 26th 03, 12:46 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

I use it with my regular ISP mail. I don't thnk you can set it up for
Yahoo.
--

wrote in message ...
[...]

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in

message

Old September 28th 03, 07:52 PM
Dr. Quilter

easier said than done. i don't think she is computer literate enough to
download software. I am sure she has some, the problem is that I doubt
she updates her virus definitions regularly.

Shelly wrote:

Tell your mom to download AVG antivirus software, it's totally free. No one
should be without an antivirus program these days. This is what I use
because I hate Norton and the other very popular one that eludes me at the
moment. lol These two very popular programs interfere too much with other
programs and just didn't work for me.
Shelly
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message

I am getting a few of these too, maybe four of each since I got back
from my trip. The odd thing is that the UW webserver is not stopping
them, usually very little stuff gets through. I am also getting a lot of
messages about intercepted viruses, so I guess it is working some of the
time. Please download real patches and update your virus definitions
even before the automatic update as other people have already said! I am
really scared for my mom, at least she is running an old version of
Windows and they seem to target those less than more recent ones, but
she can't afford to pay for a current virus software down there and only
does it occasionally... had to wipe her computer clean a few months ago...

Ruth.C wrote:

Thank you Monique for the update.
All day I have been deleting these messages from my computer. So far I

have

had 52 Security notices telling me to download September Cumulative

Patch

and 48 retuned mail notices for mail I haven't sent. I am using Windows

ME

and Microsoft reckons it doesn't affect ME, but it must be out there
somewhere. I warned my family, as all these messages come with

attachments,

and I don't open those things. It's getting very boring deleting the
things.
Cheers,
Ruth C
NSW

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

---

Old September 29th 03, 12:13 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I didn't dare respond earlier for fear I'd pass on whatever ailed my
computer. I don't know one server from another. Mine is the only one
available to me that has a local (toll-free) number. It is 'dial-up
networking' through my telephone company.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp