Free Motion Quilters....

Old December 12th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Default Free Motion Quilters....

I didn't run away! Posted this before settling down to handquilt for
the evening. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

Taria wrote:
The cabinet the 6600 is in was a $10 buy from the
thrift store. Oak! I thought for that price I could test it
out to see how well it worked for me. I ended up
refinishing it and adapting it for 2 machines. It is
great for quilting.
The Bernina is in an Ebay find. I got the Parson cabinet
with a mechanical lift and a loaded 830 (old style)
for under $300. It is amazing how many different
set ups there are and how they work for different
people. If I ever get the time and energy I'd like to
make a table to set a machine and serger in/on for
space efficiency.
Michelle got us all excited about machines and tables
and then ran away. Hope she is off buying something!
Taria
"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Taria wrote:
...snip... I think the make or break thing for
machine quilting is having the machine flush inset into a table.
A table that sits above and too high is going to be tough sewing for
any machine imo. The portable extension table to add to your set up
just isn't easy enough. ...snip....
Taria

I have never owned a flush set machine but have used a friend's. I had
totally forgotten about the difference it makes and I must agree! HMMMM,
when DH can *finally* retire and we make the move back to Lizard Land &
into a new home, I might just push for a machine that comes with its own
cabinet and is flush set. it really DOES make a huge difference IMNSHO!
I have the add on extension table and it helps but really isn't the same
as having a flush set machine. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Old December 12th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Default Free Motion Quilters....Thanks!

Want to thank everybody for your well-thought out responses. I've
copied and pasted all of your responses into a file. They will be used
in my SM research. :-)

Much appreciated!
Michelle in Nevada
Old December 12th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I am absolutely passionate about my Janome 6600. It has the larger harp
space, every conceivable option a quilter could want (needle up/down, knee
lift, built-in even feed system (like a walking foot), and oodles of other
things we quilters want and need). And the special free motion bobbin
holder virtually eliminates any eyelashes- *if* you have your tension
adjusted properly.

I can use any type or weight of thread and as long as I have the correct
size and type of needle it handles them all without complaint- and I work my
machine HARD. It's very much user friendly and isn't terribly expensive- in
the $1000 to $1500 rabge.... depending.

Did I mention I LOVE my machine? LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 12th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'm glad you've tried your bobbin holder and can report on it! I
haven't taken mine out of its box even - I'm desperate to be sewing
again.
..
In message , Leslie& The Furbabies
in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 12th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Wow Leslie! You ought to be a Janome 6600 salesperson! Full
endorsement added to my research list. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

Old December 13th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:58:29 -0600, Michelle C. wrote
(in article ):

What sewing machine do you use to do your free motion quilting?

Thanks!
Michelle in Nevada

My Viking Lily!

Maureen

Old December 13th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

I recently acquired the Viking Mega-Quilter. My understanding is that it is
made by Janome - perhaps it's similar to the Janome 6600? It has the larger
harp & I'm thrilled with it. I consider myself a novice FMQ, but, with this
new machine, I'm encouraged for what I may be able to do. I'm working on
some kids quilts at the moment & doing simple stuff, but my stitching is
even & I have not had any tension problems with the machine. If anyone is
familiar with Jill Schumacher - she teaches FMQ in the San Francisco Bay
Area & Nevada. (She's my new favorite teacher.) She was so impressed with
my machine, that she bought one after trying it out in a class that I
brought it to. It has needle up/down, knee lift, a separate motor for the
bobbin winder, speed control. I'm very happy with it. I do have a Horn
Sewing cabinet, so my machine sits flush with my cabinet. (I had TAP
Plastics make the insert for me.)

Happy hunting Michele. I think I tried all the "mid-arm" machines before I
settled on the Mega-Quilter. Most of my friends have the Brother 1500, but
none of the Sewing Machine Dealers around me sell it anymore. I finally
found out that Brother has lifted the "exclusivity" factor & anyone can sell
it now - for any price they like. Does that change how the machine is
made - I don't think so. A good friend has the Juki & loves it - I tried it
out, but it was too noisy for me. She brought it to retreat & those of us
that were sitting around her, could not talk while she was quilting

Good luck with your search. I would encourage you to try out as many as you
can. I originally rejected the Janome - why, I don't remember, but, it
turns out that my Viking Mega-Quilter is essentially the Janome. I tried
most of the machines up to 3 times. It would be great if you could try them
all side by side, but that's unlikely since most of the dealers only carry a
few brands.

Pauline

Old December 13th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

"Michelle C." wrote:

What sewing machine do you use to do your free motion quilting?

Thanks!
Michelle in Nevada

My very faithful Pfaff 2044.

Old December 13th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

What is a free motion bobbin holder?

Do I 'need' one?!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallyattheseaside/

Old December 13th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Babylock Quest....love it!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

HELP! Free motion She in PA Quilting 6 February 8th 06 01:41 AM
Free Motion Quilting Dawn Quilting 8 August 25th 05 03:27 AM
Free motion quilting granny Quilting 22 May 28th 04 05:23 PM
free motion question Denise G. Quilting 20 April 13th 04 04:27 PM
Free motion challenged... statik Quilting 2 January 21st 04 06:26 PM