Free Motion Quilters....

Old December 17th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default What I don't like about FMQ machine,

I have one of those too, Anne. It is simply small floral squares - quite
pretty. I decided I would hand quilt each square about ¼" inside each seam
line. Hard to do. Boring. I get it out once a year and make a little
progress. Thank God for cupboards. Polly

"Anne Rogers" wrote, in part found that it really is a nightmare and that
quilt is folded up, unfinished in the cupboard!

Old December 17th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Polly Esther wrote:
I have one of those too, Anne. It is simply small floral squares -
quite pretty. I decided I would hand quilt each square about ¼" inside
each seam line. Hard to do. Boring. I get it out once a year and make
a little progress. Thank God for cupboards. Polly

"Anne Rogers" wrote, in part found that it really is a nightmare and
that quilt is folded up, unfinished in the cupboard!

Oh but hand-quilting is SO pretty Polly! Maybe we need to work a
trade--I'll handquilt for you and you can FMQ for me. ;-) Only problem
with that is no matter how enthusiastic I am about hand-quilting, it
still takes longer to do than FMQ. You wouldn't be getting the fair end
of the deal.

Michelle in Nevada
Old December 18th 09, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Yes, she would. Handquilting vs machine quilting- it's not about speed.
;-)

R/Sandy

Old December 18th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Well true, Sandy, hand-quilting is definitely not about speed. Both are
quilting, but may be it's apples and oranges.

I've got a 92" square quilt I'm hand-quilting at the moment. I doubt
I'll get it done this winter before the weather becomes too warm to hold
it in my lap.

Michelle in Nevada

Old December 19th 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default quilting

Howdy!

I'm just sayin' don't sell your handquilting short; the long time 'til
finish is usually worth it. ;-P
Too warm to hold the quilt in your lap: this is why I pray to the
gods of air conditioners. How else could we live this far south? g

Merry Christmas!

Ragmop/Sandy

Old December 20th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Hi Sandy,

You're right, the time it takes to hand-quilt is well worth it. The
very first quilt I ever made is totally hand-pieced and
hand-quilted--except that I used the sewing machine to sew on the border
and binding. While I've made some nice quilts since then, nothing tops
the workmanship in that one.

So now, I'm hand-quilting another that I hand-pieced as well. While I'm
still hoping at some point to be able to do some FMQ, having
rediscovered hand-piecing and hand-quilting, I intend to always have one
of these types of quilts going all the time. They tend to bring me the
most satisfaction although there is nothing speedy about the process.

LOL! Yeah, I KNOW about air conditioning living on the edge of the
Mojave Desert. In the middle of summer we usually have several weeks of
between 110-115. I couldn't afford the AC bill it would take to keep
the house cool enough to hold a quilt on my lap. That said, this is
when I do my hand-piecing, so it all works out. :-)

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

HELP! Free motion She in PA Quilting 6 February 8th 06 01:41 AM
Free Motion Quilting Dawn Quilting 8 August 25th 05 03:27 AM
Free motion quilting granny Quilting 22 May 28th 04 05:23 PM
free motion question Denise G. Quilting 20 April 13th 04 04:27 PM
Free motion challenged... statik Quilting 2 January 21st 04 06:26 PM