thread

Old August 31st 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default thread

I think I must be missing something when I buy thread, I never seem to
see any of the brands that people have mentioned on here as being good,
I think someone was raving about Aurafil recently, but whilst I found
that brand, I couldn't spot any cotton threads.

The thread I am using for piecing is coats and clark mercerized cotton,
size 50, my biggest problem is threading the needle, it shreds so easily.

Can someone tell me what thread they like for piecing and what it looks
like - so I can try and find it!

cheers
Anne
Old August 31st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I like the aurifil 50/2ply for piecing. It has an orange spool. If you go
to Equilter.com you can see what the different threads look like and
then recognize them in the shop. Or you may be able to get them online.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 31st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I am fortunate that at least a couple of the shops here carry Aurifil
thread. G And we have a group that can order it at almost wholesale
prices and does periodically. Much of the Aurifil is cotton, in various
weights.(50-wt. is best for piecing, but the 40-wt. can be nice if you
want a little more oomph for quilting.) But they do make a wool too.
I have started using Precensia (Sp???) which is made in Spain, for my
machine piecing. I do most of my machine piecing with a neutral and got
a cone of 60-wt. for that from SewThankful.com. She frequently has
sales on the threads and is very fast, and fair on shipping. (At least I
thought so. G)
Many people like to use Superior brand threads, and they are pretty
widely available too.

You may want to check other on-line sources to get the threads.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 31st 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Aurifil is the nicest I've ever used, but it is a bit pricey. Connecting
Threads has their "Essential Thread" for a very reasonable price and it
is very nice thread. I have been very happy with it.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 31st 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I use coats and clark - the poly stuff. It doesn't shred and works just as
well as the cotton. I have never had a bit of trouble. Now, as far as the
cotton thread goes, I have trouble with it shredding and breaking. I don't
like spending 4-5 bucks on a spool of thread that needs replacing every time
I turn around. I do buy the good stuff for special things though.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old August 31st 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I purchased my last Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread from Embroidery Discount
http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/ (was directed to them for needles
by someone here). They have the best price I've seen (7.50 for the 1422yds.
spool) and I always check price when I see Aurifil at a quilt shop/show.
I've also done some internet searching on it and haven't beaten their price
so far, especially if you add in the fact that for a $15+ order they have no
shipping charge. There are a few negatives with them. One is that they
don't have a chart or list of colors and color numbers, but I was told they
are working on putting one online so we shall have to wait and see. In the
mean time, there are several other online stores that do have charts so I
use those for reference (you'll have to do a search if you need one because
I can't recall any of them right now). The second is that you have to place
your thread order via phone not internet. When I called, I didn't get
anyone and had to leave a message, however, they were very good at returning
my call. I've only ordered from them once, but they were very friendly, and
delivery was very prompt. When I"m ready for some more, I will definitely
place another order with them. They also have good prices on SM needles, if
you're interested.

I used to use the C&C too, until reading about Aurifil here. I tried it and
love it and won't ever go back to C&C!!!!!

NAYY, just a happy customer.
HTH!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old September 1st 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Charlotte Hippen" wrote:

[...]

Charlotte, that $7.50/spool is a great price! But even $9/spool isn't
bad, when you consider how much thread is on each spool -- it's so much
more than is on a Mettler spool, for example, that it's actually cheaper
to buy Aurifil, which I also love and use.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 1st 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

On Aug 31, 12:51 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
I think I must be missing something when I buy thread, I never seem to
see any of the brands that people have mentioned on here as being good,
I think someone was raving about Aurafil recently, but whilst I found
that brand, I couldn't spot any cotton threads.

The thread I am using for piecing is coats and clark mercerized cotton,
size 50, my biggest problem is threading the needle, it shreds so easily.

Can someone tell me what thread they like for piecing and what it looks
like - so I can try and find it!

cheers
Anne

I have the same problem. I can never find in the local stores what I
see and read about on the net. And I am of the mindset that cotton
thread goes with cotton fabric, but tell me, does it really matter?
Is it ok to use a poly thread for piecing and quilting? I know silk
is probably even stronger, but I'm not sure I want to go that far into
the education of thread at this point. I'm still learning how to be a
needle, fabric and sewing machine snob....I'm not ready for that depth
of thread yet...but I do want to know how many use poly thread without
a problem?

Dannielle - apologizing for being really tired and possibly babbling
at this point!

Old September 1st 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Anne:

I hope you don't receive this twice. I hit a button when I wasn't
suppose to.

Anyway. When you cut your thread, cut it at an angle. Your thread
will go through the eye of the needle easier and not shread. If its
blunt cut it will not go through the eye without a lot of
frustration.

I use cotton thread, no matter what the brand, for piecing. The
reason being that if the thread has to break it will not cut the
fabric and you can mend your quilt easily.

Oh and if you have to wet the thread to get it to go through the
needle, don't. wet the needle instead. Weird huh, but it works 9 out
of 10 times on the first try.

I use Arufil for both piecing and machine quilting. Just like the
look of the finished item.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old September 1st 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Anne,
I just love the "Superior" line of threads, especially the "King Tut".
They are virtually lint free, and the colors are beautiful. I also like
"Presencia" thread from Spain - it's excellent for piecing. If I'm doing
something that needs really precise stitching, I use silk thread - YLI.
I buy almost all of my thread online. Sew Thankful has a great thread
selection, as does Red Rock Threads. Good luck.

Patti in Seattle