Retrofitting your kiln with a 3-zone digital controller

Old December 25th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Davis Salks

Default Retrofitting your kiln with a 3-zone digital controller

Dear fellow potters,

I just purchased and installed the Orton three zone controller for my
kiln. I would like to warn anyone who is considering this.

I am generally satisfied with the controller, and Orton provided me
with responsive and competent technical support. But they did not
initially help me assess whether my kiln would be sufficiently powerful
enough, and I am disappointerd with this.

So here is my advise. There is one major thing that you must consider
before retrofitting a 3-zone controller to your kiln. Your kiln must
have considerable surplus power to reach your highest working cone. And
I do mean considerable.

Here's why. When you run your kiln manually, and let's say your reach
your cone in the last half hour at a rate of 108 DegF\Hr. Then,
assuming that you are running at full capacity to achieve this, then
you will certainly not be able to maintain this same rate with the kiln
controller. The controller will be switching your elements on and off
as it tries to maintain even heat, so only a net percentage of your
kiln's capacity will be used. Consequently, it may not even be able to
reach your cone.

Because I am not an expert, I suggest this a really general
guide...that if you can reach your cone reasonably by running at only
half or two-thirds of your full power (such as running with only 3 to 4
elemnts out of 6 total), then it might work out okay.

If not, you'll still be able to run your kiln unattended, but you will
be able to get uniformly heated zones at the end of your fire.