Adhesives

Old January 23rd 04, 09:29 PM
Pat Kight

Cheryl wrote:
Isn't it amazing how our kitchen stuff keeps disappearing into the
stamp/craft room? I also use my stiff acrylic spatulas to spread the YES.
It really holds well. Once, I also used a putty knife borrowed from my
husband's storage cabinet. Just wondering what other uses for kitchen or
common household items we all may have found useful in the stamp room?

Oh, my, where to start.

Things that have been permanently relocated to my studio:

* The icing spatula I mentioned
* Blender, used for recycling junk mail into handmade paper.
* Toaster oven (moved to garage for better ventilation) now dedicated to
polymer clay and shrink plastic
* Rolling pin, also used for poly clay and ... flattening things.
* A couple of cookie sheets
* An old strainer (useful for draining paper pulp)
* Kitchen tongs, very handy for holding cardstock while heating EP, etc.
* Ice pick, pressed into service as an awl and never returned upstairs
* Rubber husband (jar opener) which got turned into a background stamp.
Rubber gloves, ditto.
* A couple of potholders, for dealing with hot stuff
* A chef's apron (I'm as messy in the studio as I am in the kitchen, and
I had two)
* Numerous boxes of toothpicks, waxed paper, zip-lock bags, etc., or
partial contents therefrom
* Empty spice jars with shaker tops - I like them for embossing powder
and those teensy beads-without-holes and such.
* Um ... what else? Several spoons. At least one table knife. A few of
those Glad kitchen containers. A plastic mixing bowl with a
tight-fitting lid.

For the most part, these have been one-way relocations. It's not a great
idea to move utensils back and forth between kitchen and studio (a lot
of what we use to make art should *not* be ingested). But, heck, it's a
good excuse to get new kitchen gadgets!

Not to mention all the coffee mugs and drinking glasses that tend to
gather in the studio while I'm working. Those go back to the kitchen ...
eventually.

--
Pat Kight

Old January 24th 04, 02:44 AM
muriel bougie

Since there is a lot of pros and cons about acid free stuff, I do not bother
too much about it as long as I don't put it on a photo. I use carpet tape,
it's cheap and it really glues. Before I put it on a on something, I rub it
on my clothes for a few time to make sure I can remove it if it's not placed
properly.

"Jo" wrote in message
My favourite is hermafix glue dot dispenser for cards. I use the non
permanent one. It means if I get it wrong I can still move things on my

card
and I can even rub the dots off the paper just using my fingers.

I have the xyron, but being in France and having to buy cartridges

overseas
means they get very expensive for me, so am always scared of using them.

If
I need a stronger hold I use double sided tape.

Hugs from France,
Joanne

I have a cupboard full of adhesives and usually end up
using double stick tape for my projects. How about you?
What's your favorite adhesive? And why?
--
Snow removal required before sending email.

---

Old January 28th 04, 05:38 PM
Cheryl

I read somewhere a while back that you could use a electric coffee grinder
to turn a coarse embossing powder into detail powder and sure enough, it
works. I found an old but working electric coffee grinder at a yard sale
and now I buy thick and make detail whenever I want.
I keep a Bounce dryer sheet next to my craft table and rub it over my craft
coral--I think that is what it's called--before I emboss above it. It takes
all the static out and makes getting the powder back into the container much
easier.
Cheryl

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Isn't it amazing how our kitchen stuff keeps disappearing into the
stamp/craft room? I also use my stiff acrylic spatulas to spread the YES.
It really holds well. Once, I also used a putty knife borrowed from my
husband's storage cabinet. Just wondering what other uses for kitchen or
common household items we all may have found useful in the stamp room?
Please share.
TIA
Cheryl

"Pat Kight" wrote in message
Jo wrote:

just wondering Pat, how do you spread your YES glue ? I have some and

make
quite a mess when I try to use it. And I must put too much as it

buckles
bit, vbg.

Yes, it's a bit on the thick side, isn't it?

I use a flexible metal cake-frosting spatula (one of many kitchen
implements that have found their way to my studio) like this one:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B1FA21D17

Lay the work face-down on a piece of waxed paper or scrap, trowel a dab

of
YES paste on the back, and then use the spatula to spread the paste in

an
even layer over the work, the thinner the better.

--
Pat Kight