sewing box - HELP!

Old December 22nd 04, 02:04 PM
Karen Maslowski

Trish, our next-door neighbor and two other friends keep homing pigeons.
We hate the mess, but the lovely coos of the birds are great to have so
near, very soothing as I sit and sew. ;-

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Trish Brown wrote:
Dad made a wire door for it and
that was the beginning of my years as a pigeon fancier! My first pair had
their first few clutches of eggs in that cage and I went on to acquire a
whole entire flock of my own. But if it hadn't been for Terry Stair and his
kindness in getting me that first cage, I'd never have known the exquisite
satisfaction of owning a huge flock of homing pigeons! ;-D

Old December 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
Trish Brown

"Karen Maslowski" wrote in message
Trish, our next-door neighbor and two other friends keep homing pigeons.
We hate the mess, but the lovely coos of the birds are great to have so
near, very soothing as I sit and sew. ;-

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Isn't it the loveliest sound? Even better, though, is the SWOOSH of two
hundred wings as your flock swoops above you, just over the rooftops!
There's something *so* satisfying about watching a flock of birds wheeling
free against the sky - and then they drop out of the blue and come home to
you! Wonderful!

Merry Christmas to you too and to everyone here! I hope the New Year brings
happiness and peace to everyone! ;-D

Old December 22nd 04, 03:56 PM
Karen Maslowski

Oh, yes! The neighbor has almost all white birds, so it's so very pretty
to look up at a clear blue sky when you hear the swoosh, and see all
those white wings flashing by. That has come to mean "summer day" to me!

By the way, they've made a business of their birds. They rent them to
weddings and funerals and other events, and do a white dove release for
the event, then go home and collect them. It's really lovely.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old December 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:07:11 -0900, (Kathy Morgan)
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 21 Dec 2004 01:18:31 GMT, melinda calmly ranted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Although not truely Sci-fi, they're
still a very good read, nearly 30 books in the series now!

I tried to read his stuff once and couldn't get comfy with his style.

Same here; I've read a couple of his books and never did get comfy. I'm
more sure than ever that you'll enjoy James White and Hal Clement. If

My library system has some titles by White, so I'll get to them soon
enough. Volumes 2 and 3 of Essential Clement are available, so I'll
check them out, too.

The library had Zelazny's "This Immortal" and started it last night,
then found myself laughing out loud a couple times. I truly related to
the passage "I've always been impulsive. My thinking is usually pretty
good, but I always seem to do it after I do my talking--by which time
I've generally destroyed all basis for further conversation." In the
context of afterglow discussion, it has me dead on. g

you haven't already read them, you'll probably also enjoy most of Arthur
C. Clarke's work, if you can close your mind to the occasional appalling
flaw in the underlying science on which a work is based.

I watched the History Channel's hour on the history of satellites
yesterday and found that Clarke was the instigator of much of that
concept and use of satellite technology. Yes, I do like Clarke's
books, too. I reread "Songs of Distant Earth" last year and it was
very good the second time around, too.

On to sewing. I picked up a foam wedge pillow (off Ebay for a
neighbor) and it came naked! Are there specific patterns for doing
a cover? This, of course, is a Christmas present she's giving to
her father.

TIPS, PLEASE!

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown

Old December 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:39:06 GMT, joy beeson
wrote:

Maybe it was a subtle hint that they won't have a wood stove
for warming flat irons.

If you have a couople of flat irons still around, clean them up (very
carefully on the base). They make excellent sewing weights to hold
your fabric lays flat.

--
Smert' spamionam
Old December 22nd 04, 05:43 PM
Barbara Raper

We were in SC at my sister's for supper a week ago. At twilight I needed to
go out to my car and there was this sound, almost like hard raindrops,
definitely not a swoosh. Several buzzards had started roosting in her
trees. It was an unusual sound! I wish yall Happy Holidays!
Barbara in FL & SC

Old December 22nd 04, 08:57 PM
Pogonip

Barbara Raper wrote:
We were in SC at my sister's for supper a week ago. At twilight I needed to
go out to my car and there was this sound, almost like hard raindrops,
definitely not a swoosh. Several buzzards had started roosting in her
trees. It was an unusual sound! I wish yall Happy Holidays!
Barbara in FL & SC

If it's buzzards come to visit, they might want to take a
careful look around their place. IIRC, buzzards are
similar to vultures -- carrion eaters. Of course, you
didn't mention whether or not your sister was a good
cook......
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old December 22nd 04, 09:48 PM
Barbara Raper

Buzzards roost in the area where my sister lives near a lake. It's just
that the population has been expanding so she guesses they are having to
expand their hunting area.
Thanks! Barbara

Old December 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
Kathy Morgan

Larry Jaques wrote:

On to sewing. I picked up a foam wedge pillow (off Ebay for a
neighbor) and it came naked! Are there specific patterns for doing
a cover? This, of course, is a Christmas present she's giving to
her father.

Just measure each of the sides and add a half-inch or so seam allowance
all around. To make it look better, you'll probably also want to put
cording all around; I'd make my own using the same fabric that you use
to cover the pillow. You can buy cording rope (I've no idea what the
proper name for it is) at your local fabric store, or even use 3/16" or
1/4" rope from the local hardware.

Sandwich the cord or rope inside a fold of scrap fabric to learn how
wide a strip of fabric you'll need to cut in order to cover the cord and
leave you a sewing allowance.

Sew the cording to the edge of the front/top piece of fabric, rounding
it around the corners (you can cut notches in the seam allowance to make
it go around the corners with less bulk. You'll probably want to start
at the middle bottom, so the join is less obtrusive. Leave the cording
seam open and not attached to the pillow for several inches at the
beginning, and the same thing at the end. Cut the cord (but not the
fabric) so it exactly meets the other end, then cut the covering fabric
ends at 45 degree angles, long enough so that you can sew them together.
Finish sewing the cording to the pillow top after you've sewn together
the ends of the cord covering.

--
Kathy - help for new users at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/
Old December 23rd 04, 02:54 PM
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:16:03 -0900, (Kathy Morgan)
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On to sewing. I picked up a foam wedge pillow (off Ebay for a
neighbor) and it came naked! Are there specific patterns for doing
a cover? This, of course, is a Christmas present she's giving to
her father.

Just measure each of the sides and add a half-inch or so seam allowance
all around. To make it look better, you'll probably also want to put
cording all around; I'd make my own using the same fabric that you use
to cover the pillow. You can buy cording rope (I've no idea what the
proper name for it is) at your local fabric store, or even use 3/16" or
1/4" rope from the local hardware.

Thanks, crisis over. She came over and we made up a quickie flat
pillowcase with some denim I had purchased from Ebay (which was
much lighter than it looked in the picture, almost baby blue.)
I got an hour in on my new/used machine and am loving it more the
longer I use it. The smaller pulley should be in today and I think
I'll like it even better then.

Sandwich the cord or rope inside a fold of scrap fabric to learn how
wide a strip of fabric you'll need to cut in order to cover the cord and
leave you a sewing allowance.

I think a cording foot is on its way to me today as well.

Sew the cording to the edge of the front/top piece of fabric, rounding
it around the corners (you can cut notches in the seam allowance to make
it go around the corners with less bulk. You'll probably want to start
at the middle bottom, so the join is less obtrusive. Leave the cording
seam open and not attached to the pillow for several inches at the
beginning, and the same thing at the end. Cut the cord (but not the
fabric) so it exactly meets the other end, then cut the covering fabric
ends at 45 degree angles, long enough so that you can sew them together.
Finish sewing the cording to the pillow top after you've sewn together
the ends of the cord covering.

Thanks, Kathy. I learned the trick about cutting the corners of the
fabric to reduce bulk and it turned out pretty well. Half the
expertise is in the machine itself, I believe. It works tons better
than the little Universal at keeping straight lines and pulling bulky
fabrics through.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln