Quilt Project completed - Pix

Old July 10th 12, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

Default Quilt Project completed - Pix

Hi all
I've just completed a month course on QuiltUniversity.com with Dena Crain from Kenya. The course was her 'Crystal Quilts'. I've called my original design "Crystal Sunset".
It was great fun and a great learning experience with new techniques and design options. Some of you will know this design technique is based on a mirror image of four quarters. I love the drafting aspects of this type of work. Sewing the pieces involved machine piecing, machine applique and a little hand applique, whatever works for a particular part. It was all machine quilted.
The background fabric was the graduated range of fabrics from Gelato range, Cara Collection (from the Cowgirl Quilt Shop).
You can see it he https://picasaweb.google.com/bronferrier/QuiltProjects#

It will be exhibited in our Guild 'Festival of Quilts' on July 27. I've already had an offer to sell it, but I am yet to make up my mind on that, it looks very nice hanging in my hallway smile.
Cheers and hugs
Bronnie
Old July 10th 12, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oooh, I like this!
I keep wondering about taking a class through QU.

Ginger in CA

Old July 10th 12, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:45:56 -0500, Bronnie wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Beautiful!

Maureen

Old July 10th 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:45:56 AM UTC-4, Bronnie wrote:
[...]

Bronnie,
As always, your work is stunning! Great job and congrats!

Kim in NJ
Old July 10th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Magnificent! That background is just perfect.
Roberta in D

Old July 10th 12, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

That is really great Bronnie. You have never let yourself get stuck in
a rut - forever trying new things. Marvellous. I will have to see if I
can work out how you did it! Your design is so complex - and not
fourway symmetrical, so I am puzzled (in a nice way!)
I think I would like to be like you when I grow up ...
Is the Festival of Quilts competitive? If so, I hope this stunning
quilt does very well.
Hope you are feeling totally recovered now.
..
In message ,
Bronnie writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 10th 12, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I glanced at your quilt and thought 'beautiful'. Looked closer and saw
those skinny red strips with perfect angled points and thought 'wonder how
she did that?'. Wow. Polly

Old July 10th 12, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Thanks everyone for kind comments.
Pat, the Festival of Quilts is not juried but there might be a 'viewers' choice' or something.
Working on the pattern I was much reminded of your geometric quilts and I had your book close to hand. I mentioned this on the discussion page of the online course and one of the students immediately googled it and ordered a copy! I was very pleased about that smile.
The quarters of the pattern are mirrored against each other (horiz, and vertical join). You'll have to take Dena's class to see the magic of designing it. I strongly recommend any of you take a look at QuiltUniversity.com. It is such good value - $35 for four weeks tuition from a top tutor, can't beat that. Dena has put my work on her webpage if you google her name.
I made sure my diary was clear for 4 weeks to work on the project every day - the design part took 2 weeks. I felt an obligation to do this -- the tutor devotes her time, however a lot of students fail to interact in the class (just want the course notes?) and of those who do participate only about 1/4 sew actual work (Dena told me this off line). She wished all students had my commitment. I was the only one to complete which I did in the 5th week.
Dena was out in Australia last year teaching and will be back next year. I hope to catch up with her for one of her classes. She is a delight.

Hugs
Bronnie (fully recovered and about to receive insurance settlement)

Old July 12th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

[...]

That is wonderful Bronnie. Pretty cool that you followed through and made
the most of the class. Glad you are recovered and
wrapping up that ordeal. Take care!
taria