OT totally - 2 kind thoughts asked for.

Old April 13th 12, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

Default OT totally - 2 kind thoughts asked for.

Couldn't think of a topic sentence at all that is meaningful without explaining here!
A tennis buddy of mine here in Queensland Australia recently traveled with her husband, daughter and son-in-law to Florida for a vacation. The daughter was about 16 weeks pregnant and whilst in Florida she had pregnancy complications and the bady was born premature in a hospital there.
It has made the national news here because her travel insurance won't cover as it is an 'already existing condition' (of pregnancy) and the babe is in intensive care in Florida racking up huge costs daily in care.
It is a most unusual case and horrific for the family concerned without us questioning why one would travel overseas advanced in pregnancy.
I wonder if it has made the news in the US, maybe just in Florida. Not sure if solutions are forthcoming; I think the family is trying to raise funds here. The mother remains there, with her babe in ICU, in Ranald McDonald housing whilst the rest of the family have returned to Australia. The mother is there with no friends or familiar surroundings.
Just asking for kind thoughts for them.

My little drama pales into insignificance in comparison -- I got attacked by a neighbour's mixed breed dog 3 weeks ago. The dog latched onto my sandaled foot and gave me 4 very deep wounds which have been treated with very strong antibiotics, not stitched because of infection worries. All clear now and healing well, but the emotional healing is taking a little longer (sigh). Very traumatic. The dog was behind a solid gate so I had no idea it was there and of course he didn't know I was about to open the gate.
The neighbours (we don't know them well but always had a cordial relationship with them) are being non-cooperative so I am seeking legal advice to try and recoup my medical and out of pocket expenses (over $1500). A little prayer for me tacked on the babe's prayer will help me too.

Hugs
Bronnie
OZ
Old April 13th 12, 12:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Good thoughts on the way! So sorry that something as joyful as a birth
has been overwhelmed by so much unpleasantness. I do sympathize,
having moved to a foreign country when I was about 3 months along.

As for you, Bronnie, that's just an appalling experience. Hope it all
ends well and it's not your sewing foot.
Roberta in D

Old April 13th 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dima

On Apr 13, 7:42*pm, Bronnie wrote:
[...]

Prayers and comforting thoughts for your friend and her babe. I read
about her and her family. My thoughts are that pregnancy is not an
illness, just pregnant. The fact she had her baby premature is no
reason not to be covered by the insurance policy. The stress she must
be feeling is sure to take its toll on her. I sure hope common sense
prevails here.

More prayers and healing thoughts for you Bronnie, I hope your
neighbours see some sense as well.

(((((hugs))))))

Di

Old April 13th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Thanks for the heads-up, Bronnie.

Baby story:
http://tinyurl.com/blkhbvb

Wow...... wow.

Pooh on your neighbors who keep a dangerous dog un-tethered in
the front yard.
Bless you.
Hugs,

Ragmop/Sandy

On 4/13/12 4:42 AM, in article
26536346.1089.1334310123505.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@pbtr10, "Bronnie"

Old April 13th 12, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Friday, April 13, 2012 7:42:03 PM UTC+10, Bronnie wrote:
[...]

Correction:the pregnancy was 24.weeks. Still well a preppy. Thanks for posting link Sandy E.
Bron
Old April 13th 12, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 14-04-2012 00:15, Bronnie skrev:
[...]

Bronnie,

It even made the news in Denmark... As much for the news as to warn
people about the importance of knowing what your insurance covers (we
are so used to health care being paid for entirely over the taxes).

Whereas pregnancy could possibly be termed a pre-existing condition,
problems (such as a very premature labour) can surely not.

In Virginia, for example, insurance companies cannot not pay for
pregnancy related stuff due to it being preexisting to you taking out
the insurance, that is simply not allowed.

I feel very sorry for the family to be caught up in all this - add to
that that apparently being born to Australian parents overseas does not
automatically and easily make you an Australian citizen, and so (that
was according to the Danish news, mind) the parents are having to get
apply for a visa to take the baby home (eventually). The stress must be
crazy! I hope something works out for them very soon.

And for you with your medical and other expences and your neighbours, too!

Hanne in DK
Old April 14th 12, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

That is a really sad story. She needs friends & family to help her thru
this ordeal.

As for your neighbor's dog bite -it would seem to me that the dog should be
labeled "dangerous" and perhaps euthanized if he bites with provocation!
I'm a huge dog lover, but that does not sounds like a friendly neighborhood
dog. What if it was a child???!!!

Pauline
Northern California

Old April 14th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Apr 13, 5:42*am, Bronnie wrote:
[...]

So sorry to hear of your friends' plight here! And I thought American
insurance companies were horrible! Here, at least, if you are covered
by insurance prior to conception, your pregnancy and complications are
covered (limited by coverages, of course). But hopefully you don't
need someone else to discuss your bills with any hospital or Dr.
offices! They won't talk to you. DH had some xrays done a couple of
years ago, by what he was told was a 'participating provider' and they
are still trying to bill us. And to top it off, the hospital will not
discuss the bill with me citing 'HIPPA' (confidentiality) regulations
even though all the HIPPA forms at the hospital and insurance company
were signed! I give up. Hopefully calmer heads will prevail and the
insurance will come through eventually.

As to your neighbor's dog and your bite...glad to hear you are healing
but I'd be looking for recourse as well. As a dog owner myself, if my
dogs harm another dog or person - which has not happened but I know
anything is possible - the first words out of my mouth are 'give me
the bills'. We were on your end of that situation a number of years
ago. I had taken my dog for a walk to the firehouse where DH was.
Some of the children there were playing with a ball and decided to
play 'monkey in the middle' with the dog. Ball was not caught by
child and went across the street. Dog ran for ball and on his way
back across, the adult daughter of 'friends/accquaintances' hit the
dog with her car. Made a doggie ambulance out of FH member's pick up
truck and rushed w/police escort to the vet. He was badly bruised and
shaken up and required an overnight stay plus weeks of healing. Not a
peep out of the girl responsible or the 'friends' about compensation.
I would have declined the offer, but that is not the point. I believe
the offer should be made regardless of circumstances. Any dog can be
startled into doing something it would not normally do.

Healing thoughts for all.

Kim in NJ
Old April 14th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
larchie[_2_]

A similar case happened in Vancouver and the parents ended up with a
$1,000,000.00 bill. The hospital gave them some 'discounts' and they also
signed an agreement to pay off the debt at a certain amount each month. The
couple would have to live over 350 years to pay that off. Then the
Australian government decided that these people should be helped with this
humoungus debt. I haven't heard anything about this lately, but maybe you
can find information in Australian newspaper sites.