OT Storm Sandy

Old October 30th 12, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Default OT Storm Sandy

What a dreadful storm - I pray and hope everyone affected will be safe.

Di
Vic
Aust
"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
Hope everyone is braced for the storm making the news. Take care, all.

To our "Sandy"s here on the group, we know you aren't nearly as
destructive as this storm appears, unless it is attacking your fabric
stash

Ginger in CA

Old October 30th 12, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

The news of 'Sandy', that we are getting here in New Zealand is so
heartbreaking. I hope all on this newsgroup are safe.
Carol in Auckland, NZ

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:09:42 -0400, Anna Belle
wrote:

Thanks Ginger for the hopes. All safe here, power didn't even go out.
Lots of beach erosion, winds and rain. Cooler temps finally. We
certainly have a lot of standing water. We are about 15 miles from
the beaches so things get a little dicey.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Old November 1st 12, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 27, 10:07*am, Ginger in CA wrote:
Hope everyone is braced for the storm making the news. Take care, all.

To our "Sandy"s here on the group, we know you aren't nearly as destructive as this storm appears, unless it is attacking your fabric stash

Ginger in CA

Guess I'll be the first to check in on this thread. Here in Central
NJ things are spotty at best. We lost power about 6:30 Mon. PM and
are still out. Current claims are maybe Mon. 11/5. Fortunately we
have a generator and gas heat/hot water/cooking so we're in pretty
good shape all things considered. We're warm, can shower with hot
water, and cook meals. DH has changed this around in the basement a
few times so this AM was able to have coffee AND TV at the same time!
Oh happy day! Right now, no TV as we (fortunately) have a reallllly
long extension cord that I was able to get to the battery back up and
plug in the computer! Personally very little damage - a trellis;
small piece of flashing on the house; and a couple of small tree
limbs. There was a huge pine tree on the far side of our driveway
that fell into the wires. BIL and friends managed to deal with that
but it did pull the wires out of the insulators on the pole. So even
when the rest of town gets up and running I fear we'll be one of the
last ones on the list. 6 houses and 3 small business are not a
priority when there are still millions without. Understandable.
Haven't ventured to far from home yet - little point as most places
don't have power but that is slowly changing. Numerous trees in
houses and on cars. But very mild in comparison to our shore areas.
If you haven't seen it on the news, but I can't imagine how not, those
areas have just been destroyed. The sand levels in areas beyond the
beach where it's supposed to be are being described as a blizzard that
won't melt.

Hope anyone else here in the path is doing at least half as good. And
thanks for the well wishes from everyone here.

Kim in NJ
Old November 1st 12, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

thanks for the report! Hope it gets fixed sooner than you expect.
Maybe one day the power companies will wake up and start putting all
those cables safely underground.
Roberta in D

Old November 1st 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

When I lived in the country, we always lost our internet and phone service was sketchy when it rained. Doves would roost on the wires, hunters would shoot at them with shotguns and create 'leaks' in the outer coating on the wires. Rain got into the 'leaks' and caused outages. Also, squirrels would chew the overhead wires or would get fried inside the transformers with their bodies causing a short and taking out the electrical service for the whole area. There are many reasons underground wires would be a huge improvement. g

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. with lovely autumn weather :-)

Old November 2nd 12, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

wrote:
[...]

We could only hope & pray that utilities would go underground here!
We live in a very tiny town (1 sq. mile) surrounded by a pretty rural
area. We're really not that far from 'civilization' but we're also
not in an area that has big numbers or major businesses so we're
fairly low on the totem pole, at least in my mind. While some things
are improving, others are not. Gasoline availability is a major issue
currently. Either stations without power that can't pump; stations
that have gas running out as deliveries can't be made due to road
closures; couple of local refineries offline due to storm. Thankfully
all our vehicles were filled pre-storm. I haven't done much driving,
nor has DH as he works very local. Worst case, we can always pull gas
from the vehicles to fill the generator!
Old November 3rd 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

Somehow we managed to escape with not much damage when just a few
miles away people lost everything. We lost power for only 6 hours and
lost two huge trees. One is still leaning and we will probably have to
wait weeks to get it taken down. The other went across the road so the
town removed it.

A friend, just a few miles away, lost her entire house. She was closer
to the bay and lower elevation. The water came up 7' and the house was
knocked off it's foundation. Someone's boat landed in her living room.

Now we are facing gas problems with shortages and price gouging.
Hopefully that will be alleviated soon as the terminals are opened.

It saddened me greatly to see what happened in Far Rockaway and Breezy
Point. That is an area I lived in as a young child.

Next week, our schools are open for staff who will be told where to
report based on where power is restored. It is still closed for
students.

Linda
PATCHogue (Long Island), NY
Old November 10th 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

I have a group of 4th and 5th graders who are making quilts for
children who have displaced or families that have suffered extensive
damage. The school district I work in was much harder hit than my
immediate area. Many are staying in motels or with relatives now. Some
have been without power since the storm.

If any one wants to contribute fabric squares for our quilts, you can
email me at witchystitcheratyahoodotcom.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old November 13th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchystitcher

Things in my area are returning to normal, but the area I teach in was
pretty heavily damaged. All schools are now open but some have major
repairs to be done. There are still many students without power and a
few not able to return to their homes. Some of my colleagues and
friends have homes that are a total loss because they were in the
flood areas of the south shore. We still hear the constant hum of
chain saws. Our leaning trees were taken down yesterday. It is a
strange landscape now looking out my window. But I am thankful that
that is all the damage we had. Most of the severely damaged areas are
a little west of here.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Storm [email protected] Beads 2 April 1st 09 11:14 PM
Oh the storm we're getting Carol In WI Yarn 6 February 27th 07 09:33 PM
Oh the storm we're getting Carol In WI Yarn 1 February 26th 07 12:26 AM
OT That Storm NoraBalcer Yarn 9 September 18th 04 01:41 AM
Sandy F Butterfly Quilting 17 July 21st 03 07:22 PM