A dumbo question on HUGs

Old February 1st 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steph

Default Bleeding Fabrics was A dumbo question on HUGs

On Feb 1, 10:57 am, "Pauline" wrote:
I have been told by more than one person that the Jinny Beyer fabrics have a
tendency to run, because she doesn't allow the manufacturer to use whatever
chemicals are added to the dye process to prevent running, so I really have
to love one of her fabrics for me to buy it.

Also - batiks! Boy do they run - I run them thru 4 - 5 times before I get a
clean color catcher sheet. I hate to waste the water & energy, but what
else can you do?

Pauline
Northern California

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote in message

Sharon wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:41 pm, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:
Since so many here do the HUGs I was wondering what the overall
preference
is on prewashing fabric for the HUG blocks ...

Prewash? No? Depends on the fabric/shop the fabric was bought at?

Is there a general consensus or is this a question best asked to the
person
actually hosting the HUG?

Sorry for asking such a totally dumbo question ... but in my local guild
alone, there's an over-abundance of opinions. In this case, I figure
there's
probably a consensus (my new word for the day, apparently) and it might
be a
matter of etiquette ...

TIA!!
--
Connie http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

When I buy fabric, it comes in the house and straight to the laundry
room to be washed - it never goes up to the sewing room till it's
washed. Got into this habit from a dear old quilting lady friend of
mine.

Sharon (N.B.)

I can't find the original post, so I'm piggy-backing...

I don't wash ALL my fabrics when they come in, but anything chosen for a
hug quilt or a Round Robin type exercise I DO wash. I also wash all
fabrics going out as part of a swap. That way no surprises for the
recipient, and any that turn out disastrous can be swapped out before they
go off.

I wash MOST squishy fabrics, but any I don't manage to do that with get
labelled as unwashed when they go.

Yesterday I washed 12 metres of silk! THAT was fun! I now have the gown
and lining cut out of one, ready to sew any minute, and the other is
hanging up out of the way of cats, dust, boys and husbands! Some dress
fabrics get washed if there is any doubt about how they will behave and
the garment needs to be washable.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Uh oh- our class teacher said not to worry about washing (after
reading the posts here though I definitely willl!) But now I have an
almost made quilt of 1 Jinny Beyer gold fabric and a red batik!
Help! Any advice for trying to wash/set the colors once it's put
together??
Old February 1st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

colour (or color) catcher.
hmmmmmm, all i got off the top of my head.
j.

"Steph" wrote...

Old February 1st 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Steph wrote:

Uh oh- our class teacher said not to worry about washing (after
reading the posts here though I definitely willl!) But now I have an
almost made quilt of 1 Jinny Beyer gold fabric and a red batik!
Help! Any advice for trying to wash/set the colors once it's put
together?

First, test a scrap of the fabrics that are in the quilt. You might not
have a problem as you might not have bleeders.

If it turns out that you have made a quilt with fabric that you know
bleeds, wash it for the first time in Retayne. Dharma is one place to
buy it.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/
http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin...ickjumpUR L2=

--Lia

Old February 2nd 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steph

On Feb 1, 2:59 pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
Steph wrote:

Uh oh- our class teacher said not to worry about washing (after
reading the posts here though I definitely willl!) But now I have an
almost made quilt of 1 Jinny Beyer gold fabric and a red batik!
Help! Any advice for trying to wash/set the colors once it's put
together?

First, test a scrap of the fabrics that are in the quilt. You might not
have a problem as you might not have bleeders.

If it turns out that you have made a quilt with fabric that you know
bleeds, wash it for the first time in Retayne. Dharma is one place to
buy it.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/http://...etayne&quickju...

--Lia

Thank you both - I hadn't heard of either product and both look very
useful. Excellent advice to test (I guess I just panicked and didn't
think of that I soaked swatches first in cold then in hot and no
bleeding - so I think it's all fine.
Old February 2nd 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Steph wrote:

Thank you both - I hadn't heard of either product and both look very
useful. Excellent advice to test (I guess I just panicked and didn't
think of that I soaked swatches first in cold then in hot and no
bleeding - so I think it's all fine.

I'm glad to hear it-- but not surprised. While fabrics that run are
awful, they're also rare. While they're still wet, put a white fabric
on your ironing board, and iron them dry. Check the white fabric for
dye. That's the ultimate test.

--Lia

Old February 3rd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

Default A dumbo question on HUGs

Thanks for the info!

Mary in Mesa
------------

Julia in MN wrote:
Cornwoman wrote:
A few of you mentioned a "color catcher". Please explain what that is.

A color catcher is a sheet that you put in the washer and it is supposed
to pick up any loose dye. Color Catcher is the name used by the Shout
brand. Another name you might see is "Dye Magnet". I've been using the
Shout brand http://www.shoutitout.com/preserve-colors.aspx

Julia in MN
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 3rd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

Yes!! I am NOT alone!!! lol Romper Room started just before I got to
school age I think, because I did see it and cried bitterly that Miss
Frances (I think that was her name) would not be on anymore.

Mary in Mesa
----------

Rita in MA wrote:
Mary, we must be "of an age". I also remember Ding Dong School but
never saw Romper Room. I think I must have been in school when it
aired. :-)

Rita L.

Cornwoman wrote:
It was also on Ding Dong School, which I think was the precursor to
Romper Room. OMG...I'm older than the ones that thought Romper Room
dated them!! lol

Mary in Mesa

Old February 3rd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cornwoman

What a good idea, Lia! Thanks! I, too, have a Jinny Beyer hand pieced
top that is partially finished. I think before I invest any more work
in it, that I will do just that!

Mary in Mesa
--------------

Old February 3rd 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
offkilterquilter

Hey!! I remember Romper Room!! ANd that dang magic mirror...I *hated*
hand mirrors because of that and still don't own one!!

Larisa, lovely thing to have warped memories at such a young age

Cornwoman wrote:

It was also on Ding Dong School, which I think was the precursor to
Romper Room. OMG...I'm older than the ones that thought Romper Room
dated them!! lol

Mary in Mesa

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Kellie J. Berger Quilting 0 December 28th 05 02:42 PM
hurricane hugs/beths place hugs Musicmaker Quilting 1 October 16th 05 08:41 PM
hugs FiederEls Quilting 20 September 22nd 05 01:30 PM
Hugs Christina in Ok Quilting 5 July 18th 05 09:19 PM
Thanks for the Hugs Tina Quilting 13 May 8th 05 06:35 PM