On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Old January 13th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Default On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Okay everyone. Fasten your seatbelts for this one.

So, I do have my biases, but I'll try to set the stage and let you decide.
I was at a planning meeting yesterday with fellow teachers and our students.
The Home Ec teacher and I discovered a common interest in quilting. My
perception of her background. She and her husband are police, military and
republican social climber wannabees. She complains about how little we get
paid but then complains about how high our property taxes are. Granted,
that is our only tax in the state but it is also the lowest if not the
lowest in the nation. Less than 15 mills. Her husband HAD TO HAVE a
two-story work garage with the second floor being his office and
sports-watching man-room with bi-fold airplane hanger type front wall door
which they complained about the shipping to Alaska cost. She HAD TO REDO
her kitchen and could only have solid cherry cabinets with granite
countertops, stainless appliances, etc., "because it's the best". Get the
picture.

So anyways, we get to talking about quilting, and of course I get the
attitude that I shouldn't be quilting since I'm a man. She let me know that
our LQS is having a sale because she is going to get small florals and other
such designs by the bolt for the backings on her quilts. Here's the kicker.
She informed me that my quilting was not of a high enough caliber to be
considered seriously since I "simply use muslin" for my backings.
(Apparently according to her, this is the opinion of others in the guild
here in the Eagle River, not Anchorage or Palmer.) True quilts only have
fashion fabric backings, with fabric only bought from your LQS, never from
JoAnn's or Walmart or anywhere else.

I had to practically bite my tongue off. We were in the company of
teenagers that are the state officers for our Student Technical
Organizations and I needed to be professional. But, I wanted to ask her
where her ribbons were from the State Fair. Where were the offers to teach
classes. (Yes I've been asked but have declined, I'm just too busy.) Where
were the people asking her for advice and how-tos and so on. I'm not sorry
to say that while the quality of fabric at JoAnn's and Walmart may not be
the best, sometimes they have had just the exact right color or pattern of
fabric that I need. I can by an entire bolt of muslin, and I buy the better
quality, from JoAnn's at a discounted rate and it does just fine for the
backings of my wall quilts, and even my bed quilts.

I am proud of my quilting and acknowledge that I have strong points and
techniques that I need to continue to work on. But sheesh, since I use
muslin on the back of my quilts they are not "serious". Give me a break.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 13th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Steve-

Tell the *itch that you use muslin backings to show off your exquisite
quilting where she must need to hide her pathetic attempts in a mess of
"small florals". AND... you can tell her you are a well-loved and honored
and respected member of The Largest Quilt Guild In The Universe (RCTQ) and
we think you are doing a GREAT job with your quilting and we are proud of
you and the fantastic work you do.

:-P~~~~~ to her!

Jeez, I thoroughly dislike people with those kinds of attitude!
GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 13th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Dammit, Steve, print out my post and hand it to her!!!

Leslie- thoroughly steamed over this!!!, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 13th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

*snort*

I can't believe that she can call herself a "quilter." I always say that
quilters are the best people - boy, do I feel like an idiot!!

Does she not know that some of the most beautiful quilts in history were
backed with muslin - in fact, used muslin for the top??? Does she not know
that some of the most valued quilts in history were made with
linsey-woolsey - once considered the lowest grade cloth available at that
time???

What about feedsacks? They were "free" - and used in many quilts that are
priceless today - not only that, but that "free" fabric back then is a rare
collectible today!

She's a boob, Steve ... and you should be congratulated for not only biting
your tongue and being professional, but also for restraining yourself and
not smacking her in the head! What makes her attitude even worse is that
there are many future quilters that could be turned off from quilting by her
attitude. If I had a nickel for every time that I heard that quilting is a
"rich woman's hobby" *I'd* be a rich woman!! And it's doofuses like her that
keep that stereotype alive and obnoxious!

And FTR, I often use plain ol' muslin in *my* quilts - just because I might
stint a tiny bit on the backing doesn't mean I'm stingy on the work and love
that go into'em!!

Hugs to you!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old January 13th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginny in VT

Okay, Steve, take a deep breath, and remember ---

TANQP (There are NO quilt police!)

. . . . . except, the self-appointed *itches who criticize
others' work, but probably can't "take the heat" themselves. To
comment on your concerns, during most of the 19th and 20th centuries,
muslin and other solids were the most common backings for quilts. When
prints are used for backing, it sometimes is an indication that the
quilting stitches need to be "hidden'. Before I offend 90% of the
people reading this, I have to say that I usually use prints, or more
often pieced prints, as backing myself.

Ginny in Vermont - where we usually don't mix quilting and politics

Old January 13th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm sure her attitude would have been different if she were a democrat?
I am missing that part. I sit with a crowd of women at guild that are
old hippie type war protesters and republican women's club members too.
They all quilt and rarely does political bashing come in to the
picture. It just isn't necessary. I think you are sort of closed
minded yourself to start there-you asked otherwise I wouldn't mention that.

I listened to a talk by a quilt judge last year. She suggested quilts
with muslin backs are just not interesting enough and don't show follow
through of the front design. She said they will score lower in judging.
More than a few of the gals were not happy to hear that attitude. I
was one. Really fine quilting done on a muslin back is a
really good part of a traditional style (and many other styles) of quilt.
All that said she sounds like someone I wouldn't waste any more time
dealing with other than work related obligations. What do you really
care what she thinks? Your quilting is very fine. I enjoy seeing all
of it. As long as you are happy who cares?
Taria

Old January 13th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

steve wrote:
[...]

Dearie me. I suppose in her perfect world (God preserve me from her
perception of perfect!) all those ancient historic quilts made with bits
of clothing and left-over scraps, with a batting of old blankets and a
backing of an old sheet are not quilts! While it would be nice to
afford the sometimes inflated prices of a posh quilt shop, we cannot
always do this, and where we purchase our fabric and what we use for
batting and backing has no bearing on the quality of quilting (though
long term it may have an impact on how long our quilts last and how well
they survive in use). I have to say that I choose my backing according
to how and where the quilt will be used: a bed or wall quilt will get a
much plainer backing than one where the backing is designed to show.
Thus the space quilt I made for my son has a mad space themed back as I
knew it would be dragged all over the place, and those I have on the
sofa have fun backings, but my Christmas wall hanging will probably get
a bit of sheeting!

The poor deluded woman is 'barking through an inappropriate orifice' as
I said in another group about something a bit different. Looks like I'm
on your side, Steven!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 13th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Well first two of my sons will be sad to learn they shouldnt quilt as men...
hmmmm They were pretty good too (being sarcastic of course) Maybe you could
point out some of the more famous quilters such as Kaffe Fasset (probably
messed up that name) who are gasp and horror... men. I personally save my
money on backing and use good fabric for the tops. I use an extra wide
flannel that equilter sells to back my quilts normally, or the on sale
Fabricland stuff (which is not bad, but definatly not $15+ per meter our LQS
charge.) Why would you want anything but muslin on the back of wall hanging
anyhow? So the wall can look at it I guess. The only time I ever
regretting my choice in backing was the time I tried out a new technique on
a baby quilt I thought would not be well liked so I used the cheapest
wallmart fabric I could fine... turns out the pattern I chose for the top
was the pattern that was chosen for the nursery. Anyhow, some people are
snobs, and some people are quilters IMO

Carissa
PS I have always called my sons over when you post your pictures as they
like to see what other guys are doing

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old January 13th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Yes, I will admit that I am more on the liberal side of things. I was
hoping more to present her personality, perception of things so that you all
would know where she is coming from in one sense. It does color us all to
some extent. That was more of what I was trying to get across rather than
be biased, but thanks for pointing it out.

We are from different student groups, but must work together in order to
plan for the state conference. All jobs, personalities, likes/dislikes, and
anything else comes in to play in some fashion from the aspect that we need
to plan meetings, ceremonies, and workshops to reach all of our students.
From that aspect, we all try, and succeed reasonably well, in working
together as diverse people and organizations.

Old January 13th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"steve" wrote in message
Your opinions wanted please.

Here's my opinion. She's an idiot. Who doesn't deserve a second thought.
AFAIC, the only reason NOT to use plain muslin on the back is if your
quilting just won't stand up to close inspection.

Cindy