Cherry Wood Thread Cabinet

Old October 10th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default Cherry Wood Thread Cabinet

That's just so gorgeous I can hardly stand it.
Happy Birthday!
Roberta in D

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
s.com...
Here are the first of the pictures showing the construction of the
Cherry Wood Thread Cabinet. There are some other pictures showing some
other parts of the process, but I have not had time to arrange them
and these are the best ones that I have for now. I will continue to
upload more as the construction progresses. In this series, you will
be able to see the interior construction and a close up view of the
Dovetails holding the case together. The dimensions are 32" wide X 16"
Deep x 20" high. there are 5 drawers, each one about 3" tall by 15"
deep and there will be dividers within each drawer that will keep the
various sized spools separated. There will be cherry wood round pulls
and brass content identity card holders on the face of each drawer.
I have taken the day off to celebrate my 66th birthday with my wife.
We went into Columbus to a lovely Indian Restaurant and had a
sumptuous lunch and then ht the bookstores where i picked up a book I
have been wanting and Threads magazine along with a copy of Quilting
Arts Magazine. The latter has gotten my attention in recent times and
is quite good in covering that element of this craft of quilting.
Here is the link to the Thread cabinet photo's,

Enjoy,

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560991875mGyOMg

John

Old October 10th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560991875mGyOMg

John

Here are some pictures relating to the construction on one of the
drawers. They are the last picture on page one and the next 5 pictures
on page two. They cover the process of hand cutting the dovetails for
the assembly of the top drawer in the cabinet, and glueing up the
drawer and installing it in the case. There is still a lot to do as I
need to make 4 more drawers and then make the dividers for the inside
of each one. I plan to clad the bottom of each drawer with green felt
so that will be done after the dividers are made and the varnishing is
completed. The dividers will be removeable and will just sit within
the drawers fitted tightly so they don't move. They will sit on top of
the felt.

Old October 14th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

looks great john - maybe you can inspire my DH... of course he is too
busy with house remodeling projects... what kind of tools do you use
(meaning 'real men' powertools - just kidding, referring to that other
message we got recently - or 'country workshop' handtools?)

--

Dr.Quilter
drquilter at gmail dot com
Old October 14th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

How about a small glass-front wall cabinet/case to display a few small
items in my bedroom, arts and crafts style? what would be the going rate
for that? I cannot find it. I also want a sideboard I saw in a Sundance
catalogue from years ago for $1600, but they do not make it anymore - I
need a good craftsman to make it for me....

John wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:34 am, Ginger in CA wrote:
To mimic our Mz Sairey "Are you for rent?"

I bow down to your wood working skills!

Ginger in CA

Maybe when I lived in California. But here in Ohio I just do things
for myself,and a few locals who can't seem to find anybody to do what
they need. I find that people here are not willing to pay what I
charge as my going rate. Admittedly, that is a high rate but it is
placed at that level so as to discourage work requests. Too many years
of doing things for pay for other people, that sometimes compromised
my sense of esthetics. But I needed to eat, so it was start up the saw
and bite your tongue and produce. My things tend to be one off items
and are not competitive with those folks who do production work with a
standardized set of designs and multiple copies of each thing. That
type of woodwork is less costly to produce each item and is more
machine intensive and less hand work related. There are some good ones
out there but they are not cheap either. I think the shipping charges
to California would be prohibitive, also. But, thanks for the
thought.

John

Old October 14th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

Here are 2 more pictures showing the case with drawers open and a
frontal view. The case and drawers are glued and assembled with nobs,
in place. Now I will construct the interior dividers and set them in
place. After that, the next thing is to varnish the whole thing and
line the drawers with green felt, and attach the content lable
holders. Then this thing is finished. I can get on to the next phase
of the project. I have modified the idea of another cabinet sitting
along side of this case. What I am planing is a base cabinet that will
house items and support the Thread Case. I am not quite finalized on
the completed support cabinet design, but it will house an extra
sewing machine and other things. I may use some drawers on one side of
it or it may just be a doored cabinet or a combination of the two. I
am leaning toward the latter with a door on one side and drawers on
the other side. Stay tuned for later developements.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635dQRgKN

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635RMOrbQ

Enjoy,

John

Old October 14th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 14, 3:05 pm, DrQuilter wrote:
looks great john - maybe you can inspire my DH... of course he is too
busy with house remodeling projects... what kind of tools do you use
(meaning 'real men' powertools - just kidding, referring to that other
message we got recently - or 'country workshop' handtools?)

I use a combination of "Real Men" power tools for the general shaping
of the rough lumber and then hand planes, chisels, and dovetail saws
and other hand tools, to do the handwork. On some projects that I am
particularly interested in, I will do the construction entirely with
hand tools, just for the Luddite experience. Other times, I outdo
Norm, with the use of lots of power tools. I find that the nicer the
project, the more I gravitate toward hand tools. Especially the period
pieces of furniture. There is no substitute for the subtle marks that
hand tools leave when they are used to make a piece of furniture.
Machinery is fine but it can't produce the hand planed look of that
period.

John

Old October 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 14, 3:07 pm, DrQuilter wrote:
How about a small glass-front wall cabinet/case to display a few small
items in my bedroom, arts and crafts style? what would be the going rate
for that? I cannot find it. I also want a sideboard I saw in a Sundance
catalogue from years ago for $1600, but they do not make it anymore - I
need a good craftsman to make it for me....

Why don't you e-mail me as commercial endeavors are not permitted on
this forum.

John

Old October 14th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
John wrote:

On Oct 9, 3:36 pm, John wrote:

[...]

John, you're making me drool over the possibilities -- if only DH were
into working with wood! sigh

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old October 15th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 15, 7:11 am, John wrote:

[...]

I own the following power tools,

2 hand drills
1 Drill Press
1 Table Saw
1 Mortise machine
1 Scroll saw
2 Routers
1 Cut off miter chop saw
1 Spindle shaper
1 Belt sander
1 Electric water stone sharpener
1 Rotary surface sander made out of an old Table saw
1 Thickness planer
1 Joiner
1 Sanding vacuum table
1 Dust collection system with connection to all stationary power tools
1 Room air dust collections system

In addition:

1 very large box of Band-Aids (seldom used).

John