OT any good lowfat recipes?

Old April 26th 05, 10:38 AM
Charlie

Curry! Make curry! Tomato based sauces barely have any fat in them (unless
you use things like chicken with the skin on, obviously). The boyfriend and
I live on things like Curry, Pasta with tomato based sauces, good (low fat
butchers) sausages and mash, stir fry etc. Although I'm eating portions for
two at the moment as I'm trying to put weight on. I weight 57kg at the
moment and want to go up to around 65 or 70. I know, unusual for a young
female to say that!

Charlie.

"Taria" wrote in message
Ok, I can't be the only one dealing with re-learning
to cook. DH has to bring his cholesterol down. We have
made a lot of changes in our diet/cooking. Admittedly I'm
not very subtle about 'sneaking' chocolates, cookies
and burgers once in awhile. Heck, my cholesterol is ok.

Anyway do you guys have any favorite low fat type recipes
to share? DD says we are going to die of mercury from all
the salmon I am cooking. I have to say we are feeling
better and a touch lighter for the changes but I need
good recipes. Help!

To top off the food stuff DH broke his leg and is off work a
month. It has been a long week already and it is MOnday.
TIA, TAria

Old April 26th 05, 10:53 AM
Jessamy

GOOD for you Charlie to want to be a sensible weight !

--
Jessamy
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad

Old April 26th 05, 10:54 AM
Charlie

No, no, I AM a sensible weight already! I am only 5ft tall, but I can't
sink the nose of my kayak at my weight so that I can do really cool tricks!
See, I am a nutcase really!

Charlie.

Old April 26th 05, 11:01 AM
Jessamy

LOL ok well then you need the extra weight to do this ... you do know that a
bit weight training will build up muscle which weight's more? of course you
do silly me ! LOL

Old April 26th 05, 11:04 AM
Charlie

Heh, that's why I hit the gym (or do equivalent sport) 6 times a week! I'm
training to be a gym instructor at the moment and building up to going on a
MASSIVE 4 month outdoor instructor course that will quality me to teach
things like hill walking, mountain walking, orienteering, rock climbing,
kayaking, canoeing, white water safely.... Now I just need to save up the
money.

Charlie.

Old April 26th 05, 11:17 AM
Jessamy

WOW!!
I knew you didn't need telling LOL

good luck with your plans!

(so are you going to make a quilted sleeping bag to take with you ? hehehe)

Old April 26th 05, 11:33 AM
Charlie

Ooooh what a cool idea! I broke the stuff bag for my sleeping bag last
weekend! Crazy quilt stuff bag here I come!

Charlie.

Old April 26th 05, 11:44 AM
Jessamy

WOOOOO HOOOO another idea for quilted bags! go light on the beads though or
you will loose them hehehe

Old April 26th 05, 12:29 PM
Tina

Oh Taria, how I feel for you! Try changing to a low-fat diet with an 8
year old and a teenager! You learn to get creative FAST!

I love fish, and so do my kids, so we also started eating a LOT of
fish. But we also learned to do chicken (breast/no skin) in lots of
different ways and removing "meat" from a lot of dishes. I can even
still make lasagna, with low fat cheese and eggplant instead of italian
sausage or ground beef.

I "fry" in the over with a light spray of no-fat cooking spray instead
of in a pan. My "fried" eggplant and chicken tenders turn out just as
crispy and tasty as they did the old way - even better I think.

I use my wok more often. It doesn't require oil/grease and retains the
crispness/flavor of vegetables.

I will ask DS what his favorite "new" recipe is and I will share that
with you. I think he would probably say the chicken tenders because he
really thought he was going to have to give those up completely. The
first night I tried it, he looked at me and exclaimed shocked, "Moooom,
did you FRY these?!" He has also learned to enjoy low-fat Ranch
Dressing as a "dip" instead of cream gravy!

Good luck to you and dear hubby Taria, I know it's hard to re-learn.

Tina