OT Immunizations?? For young and the more mature.

Old July 20th 04, 02:07 AM
Dee in Oz

My DS had every immunisation available to him, including MMR but still
had a dose of measles, which I thought he wouldn't be able to
contract. It wasn't a major dose but we still had to keep him away
from school while the spots were visable.
....Just something some people may not be aware of.

Dee in Oz

Joanna wrote in message news:MMBKc.43267$2i3.23271@clgrps12...
Just wanting people's thoughts on this. You can e-mail me privately if
you wish. I'm not looking for a flame war, just some honest real life
thoughts. The first website is a site you can look up the shots a lot of
us received as children. The actually little piece of paper that comes
with the shot is there. The side effects and such that most of us never
hear about, even if rare.

http://www.avn.org.au/vaccinations&c...tions-info.htm

The second website has a LOT of information concerning shots.

www.thinktwice.com

I don't belong to any organization or affiliate. Just wanting to hear
some views of people I know. So if you have time and feel like it please
give me your thoughts. Otherwise feel free to ignore.
Thanx
Joanna

Old July 20th 04, 03:01 AM
JoyceG in WA

Kate -

The guideline here, after the childhood immunizations, is that you have a
tetanus booster every ten years. It's a good idea for those of us who cut our
hands on sewing tools, and even more so if you are like me and dig around in
the garden without gloves (can't stand them, except for the thorniest work!).

-JoyceG in WA

Kate opined:
This tetanus thing is odd to me... Here kids get two tet shots before
starting school (I think it's two) and one at school leaving age, and a
couple of others somewhere along the line, and that does them for life.
No need for anual boosters.

See he Look at para 8.1

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:o....uk/infections

/topics_az/tetanus/tetanus_health_professionals.pdf+tetanus+immunizat ion,+
UK&hl=en#5

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 20th 04, 04:30 AM
Taria

Dh found me a great garden glove I am able to use. They are
a heavy knit with the fingers and palm that are some sortof rubberized
stuff. They have really helped me a lot. Home Depot and Lowe's both
sell them.
Had a friend who owned a donkey that died from getting tetnus!
Taria

Old July 20th 04, 08:21 AM
Joanna

From what I've read some of the vaccinations carry the live virus. So
therefore if a child has been immunized lately they should not be around
a child that has not been immunized for a period of time. Some say a few
hours, some say a few days, some even a few weeks. Depends on the shot I
guess and the health of the unimmunized child.
Joanna

Jiminy wrote:

I believe the same goes in all states here. We have the right to refuse

any

and all medical treatments and can have our children admited to public
schools by signing a waiver. The unimmunized children are not a threat

the immunized ones, rather it is the other way around.
Diana

By what logic are immunized children a threat to unimmunized children?
Susan

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old July 20th 04, 10:25 AM
Kate Dicey

Dee in Oz wrote:

My DS had every immunisation available to him, including MMR but still
had a dose of measles, which I thought he wouldn't be able to
contract. It wasn't a major dose but we still had to keep him away
from school while the spots were visable.
....Just something some people may not be aware of.

Dee in Oz

Chicken pox can also be caught more than once! In some kids it doesn't
stick... And some folk who had chicken pox can develop shingles later
if another epedemic drifts past them. This happened to me. Having had
both, I'd say the shingles were much worse!

Old July 20th 04, 01:14 PM
Pat in Virginia

Here's a slant that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread.
Un-immunized people are a risk to pregnant women. This is
especially so in a classroom where the pg teacher may spend lots
of time with un-immunized kiddos before she knows of her
pregnancy. To say nothing of the mothers of the un-immunized
school children. I am NOT an expert, but I have some common
sense. So that's my two cents worth. PAT in VA/USA

Dr.Quilter wrote:
I am not sure about that. Yes, the unimmunized children are more at risk
themselves, but by being not immunized they can act as reservoirs to
maintain the pathogenic agents alive... in the long term they do constitute
a helth risk...

Old July 20th 04, 02:16 PM
Kellie J. Berger

imunized all of my kiddos. Hesitated on the chicken pox, but did it. Have
NOT done the Hep A for them as it is not required.

that said, I have had the MMR shot 3x now, had Measles too! 1st one was as
a child, then got the Measles a few years later, then got 2 shots after my
1st 2 babies and am STILL not immune. dunno why. The docs think i should
have another MMR. I told them they were crazy and to take their needles
elsewhere.

-- kellie
bergerk at sbcglobal dot net
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ber....net/my_photos

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:21:43 -0400, "Clooniff"
wrote:

I think immunizations are the greatest thing that ever happened to the

human
race. If you compare the number of bad reactions to any of them to the
awful results of non-immunization, there is nothing to debate. Recently
there have been some polio cases happening due to people not getting

their
polio immunizations. When I was a child polio was rampant and the summer
was a time of fear--you didn't want to go to public swimming areas or

events
with large crowds. People who survived having polio and seemed to have
recovered fully are now suffering relapses forty and fifty years later.

And
nobody in their right mind would want to get tetanus!

Speaking of which, if your last tetanus booster was more than 10 years

ago,
you probably should have a whole new series--it does wear off.

I had my tetanus booster last Tuesday.
One of the things about getting your annual at the local county clinic
is they have all your immunization records right in front of them so
they remind you when you need a booster.
I still have a lump the size of a marble in my arm that hurts when it
gets bumped.

I've always been a bit nervous about immunizations.
When I was about 4 there was an outbreak of diptheria in a nearby town
that traced to bad vacine. Half a dozen kids died. Then in college
one of my friends had a withered leg from polio, which she contracted
from a vacine when she was 18 months old.
I like to think that vaccines are better now.

I have been concerned about mercury levels connected to the
preservative they use in some vacines. I am given to understand that
they have mostly stopped useing that preservative, but I still have to
wonder how many micrograms of mercury my kids got shot up with during
the course of their vaccinations. That stuff doesn't leave the body
readily.

And of course there is Ash.
No one in either my DH's family or in kiri's family is autistic.
Shortly after he recieved his first mmr Ash came down with rubeola
(measles). First the doctor diagnosed roseolla, then revised the
diagnosis. Initially he didn't think measles was possible because Ash
had just recieved his mmr.
Were the mmr vaccination or the measles responsible for our lad being
autistic?
Good question. We would sure like to know the answer to that one.
Unfortunately, nobody else seems to want to know or even guess. You
ask about it and they damn near boot your butt out the door. The best
you can hope for is a serious and sincere lecture on how disease has
not been linked to autism and how safe modern vaccines are.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell

Old July 20th 04, 03:57 PM
Kristen L. Renneker

"NightMist" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I wouldn't think there would be a way to tell if an individual case of
autism was caused by a vaccine...the best reasoning I've heard about
vaccines not being the cause of autism, yet there being a perceived link is
that most (?) cases of Autism appear around the age of 2 which is when the
vaccine is given...that's when the regression starts and the autism is
diagnosed. People look for a definitive cause. The vaccine was a recent
event which seems to be the only thing that has been different, and they
attribute the autism to the vaccine when in fact the child would have become
autistic anyway.

I don't know. I don't think there's a connection, but it's scary to think
that vaccines could be linked to autism. I've tried to do some reading on
the subject. My daughter goes to an integrated preschool, and since I
encounter parents of autistic children there, I don't ever want to put my
foot in my mouth. I've certainly been on the other end regarding my
daughter's peanut allergy...I figure the more I know, the lesss likely I'll
say something stupid.

kristen

Old July 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Dr.Quilter

Good and subtle, John!!! )

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
"John A." wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:50:02 -0500, "Jiminy"
wrote:

I believe the same goes in all states here. We have the right to

refuse
any
and all medical treatments and can have our children admited to

public
schools by signing a waiver. The unimmunized children are not a

threat
the immunized ones, rather it is the other way around.
Diana

By what logic are immunized children a threat to unimmunized children?
Susan

Evolutionary advantage?

Old July 20th 04, 04:06 PM
Dr.Quilter

that's it, I am getting my tetanus shot. last one was 10 years ago, before I
came to start grad school, when I made sure all my immunizations were in
line with what the US health department reccomended...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
"Pati Cook" wrote in message
And tetanus is a booster that all seamsters should keep up to date. Do

you
really know where that pin that stuck you really had been?? We all hear

about
the rusty nails and such in regards to tetanus, but it is a danger with

*any*
puncture wound, which a pin stick is.

Pati, inPhx.

Clooniff wrote:

[...]