On Topic Rant - Sort of long

Old January 16th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default On Topic Rant - Sort of long

"steve" wrote in message

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Well of course you're missing the point. The point is that she HAD to find a
way to think she was better than you. Apparently your choice of backing
fabric is all she could find.

Actually, I feel kind of sorry for her. To base your own self worth on
putting other people down is pretty pathetic. She must be a very unhappy
person.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old January 16th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

*gives NightMist a haughty look*
Sniff. I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole, much less trust that witch
with my dental work!

And I'm sure she has cooties. 8*

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:50:38 -0600, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:

*whew*

Steve's too much of a gentleman, I think ... p'raps I could hold her down
and you could kick her? I'd do it, but I broke my toe the other day ...

Well then bite her on the leg after Amy has tenderized it.

Really I _am_ surprised you didn't think of that yourself.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Old January 17th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

wrote:

*whew*

Steve's too much of a gentleman, I think ... p'raps I could hold her down
and you could kick her? *I'd do it, but I broke my toe the other day ....

Well then bite her on the leg after Amy has tenderized it.

Really I _am_ surprised you didn't think of that yourself.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.- Hide quoted text -

ROFLMAO!!!! i really wouldnt bite her.

but i would paint her kitchen cupboards a florescent chartreuse!!!
then i could stencil LARGE safety pins on the walls! In Purple.....And
then we could nail the door shut on her husband's "man room".
with him in it......with no phone or tv......with his wife.......and
no escape....

mwaaaahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaa.....

i gotta go take my medication now...............%)

amy in CNY
Old January 17th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Ooooh ... Amy, you are positively *evil*!!

I LOVE it!!

But yannow ... they've done studies on color and it's psychological effect
on people ... if we paint EVERYTHING in her house white, chances are, either
she or her hubby will go looney and "take care" of themselves. Problem
solved and no one's hands get dirty!!

Red's also been known to have adverse effects on the psyche. Might be worth
the scientific data ...

And of course, we'd simply *have* to take her stash. machines, etc, home
with us ... would be a shame for her fabric to be punished simply because
she's deserving of a little LARTing.

Just thought: wouldn't it be an absolute hoot if she were lurking here? Do
you think she'd recognize that we were scheming about *her*?!

Old January 17th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:57:52 -0900, "steve"
wrote:

Okay everyone. Fasten your seatbelts for this one.

So, I do have my biases, but I'll try to set the stage and let you decide.
I was at a planning meeting yesterday with fellow teachers and our students.
The Home Ec teacher and I discovered a common interest in quilting. My
perception of her background. She and her husband are police, military and
republican social climber wannabees. She complains about how little we get
paid but then complains about how high our property taxes are. Granted,
that is our only tax in the state but it is also the lowest if not the
lowest in the nation. Less than 15 mills. Her husband HAD TO HAVE a
two-story work garage with the second floor being his office and
sports-watching man-room with bi-fold airplane hanger type front wall door
which they complained about the shipping to Alaska cost. She HAD TO REDO
her kitchen and could only have solid cherry cabinets with granite
countertops, stainless appliances, etc., "because it's the best". Get the
picture.

So anyways, we get to talking about quilting, and of course I get the
attitude that I shouldn't be quilting since I'm a man. She let me know that
our LQS is having a sale because she is going to get small florals and other
such designs by the bolt for the backings on her quilts. Here's the kicker.
She informed me that my quilting was not of a high enough caliber to be
considered seriously since I "simply use muslin" for my backings.
(Apparently according to her, this is the opinion of others in the guild
here in the Eagle River, not Anchorage or Palmer.) True quilts only have
fashion fabric backings, with fabric only bought from your LQS, never from
JoAnn's or Walmart or anywhere else.

I had to practically bite my tongue off. We were in the company of
teenagers that are the state officers for our Student Technical
Organizations and I needed to be professional. But, I wanted to ask her
where her ribbons were from the State Fair. Where were the offers to teach
classes. (Yes I've been asked but have declined, I'm just too busy.) Where
were the people asking her for advice and how-tos and so on. I'm not sorry
to say that while the quality of fabric at JoAnn's and Walmart may not be
the best, sometimes they have had just the exact right color or pattern of
fabric that I need. I can by an entire bolt of muslin, and I buy the better
quality, from JoAnn's at a discounted rate and it does just fine for the
backings of my wall quilts, and even my bed quilts.

I am proud of my quilting and acknowledge that I have strong points and
techniques that I need to continue to work on. But sheesh, since I use
muslin on the back of my quilts they are not "serious". Give me a break.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? Your opinions wanted please.

Steven
Alaska

She's a snob with her nose up her own you know what. She had to try
to make you feel small in order to make herself feel more important. I
wonder how often she says things like that to and about her students
in the classroom to make herself feel big.

I've seen quilts with muslin as an applique background for the tops
and/or with muslin backs my whole life and I'm not about to tell any
quilter that the use of muslin means anything good or bad.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 17th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

Debra, you are absolutely right! i use muslin all the time.

and, yes....we need to steal her stash!!!! Steve can burn it!!

ok...meds on the way....

amy in CNY
Old January 17th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

amy wrote:
Debra, you are absolutely right! i use muslin all the time.

and, yes....we need to steal her stash!!!! Steve can burn it!!

ok...meds on the way....

amy in CNY

No, no - send it off to our dog quilt making angel!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 18th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

On Jan 17, 6:21*pm, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
amy wrote:
Debra, you are absolutely right! i use muslin all the time.

and, yes....we need to steal her stash!!!! Steve can burn it!!

ok...meds on the way....

amy in CNY

No, no - send it off to our dog quilt making angel!

--
Kate *XXXXXX *R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk

GREAT IDEA!!!

Steve: save your matches!

amy in CNY
Old January 20th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
threads

On Jan 13, 3:57 pm, "steve" wrote:
[...]

Steven,

I am just catching up on the posts here after a long absence and I am
appalled at the attitude of this "quilter". She was way out of line
and I am sorry to say this is not so uncommon amoung quilters. You
are always going to run into the ones who try to make you feel
unworthy of the art of quilting. The fact that you are a man and
quilting speaks volumes of your self confidence and I would bet that
shows in your quilts. Muslin for the back? It is quilt fabric, who
is she trying to impress??? I use muslin sometimes but I like to use
the scraps from the quilt top, if there are enough, for the backing.
My goodness, I can't imagine what she would think of
me...............although I really couldn't care less and neither
should you.

You are not wrong, you did not miss the point. She wanted to
intimidate you, don't let her.

JMHO,

Marsha in nw, Ohio