Sterling silver question (.925)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 17th 04, 08:03 PM
porkchops

Default Sterling silver question (.925)

Hello,

In 1998 I got a ring at a small gift shop at the mall called "Fire and
Ice" as a gift from my mom (not sure if any of you have heard of it,
but I think it closed down). Anyways, it's a sterling silver (has a
..925 engraved inside the band) oval peridot split shank band ring.
It's awesome and I have been wearing it all the time.. everyday, night
and day, since I got it.
It hasn't discolored or rusted at all, but the band has sorta of bent
on the side, where it meets my other finger. This happened after about
2-3 years or so. It was pretty noticeable and made the ring feel weird
on my finger.
Anyways, a friend of mine used some plyers on it to try and straighten
it out. And it worked okay. But my friend said it bended back into
shape a little too easily and scratched up pretty easily from the
plyers, and suggested that perhaps the ring was made up of a very
cheap, soft kind of silver, or metal.
Even before that, it's gotten easily scratched up over the years, and
I don't do any rugged work with my hands at all.

So, my question is.. it was said when we bought it, that it was just
"sterling silver" and it does indeed have the sterling silver marker
for .925.
Is this normal for sterling silver? Could have using the plyers made
the band weaker, and later on cause a problem?
It cost about $45.00, if I recall clearly. I do not know anything
about silver really. Or the different types of silver and strengths,
etc.
Isn't a .925 rated ring really good quality silver? (then again, any
store could probably engrave their jewelry with that, and it not even
be silver..)

When looking at the ring on the outside, it's a shiney silver.
However, inside the split shank opening, there are areas that are not
shiney and polished, but show a more gritty kind of rougher material.
I'm not sure if the outside of the ring has been polished with some
permanent silver polish or something (if that's even possible)..
I can't explain it unless you saw it.

Any idea what kind of silver this is?
Is sterling a typically strong metal? Well, strong as in, where it
won't snap or break on me? I'm not worried about it scratching up or
bending.. as long as it won't ever break on me, from just everyday
wear, without rugged hand usage.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sterling Silver Bead Sonia Beads 1 March 22nd 04 09:18 PM
silverplated and sterling silver Audrey Beads 2 March 22nd 04 03:30 PM
Sterling or Fine Silver? Jenny Jewelry 2 January 13th 04 07:39 AM
Bali Silver -- What's the Deal? saucy Beads 16 August 21st 03 03:21 PM
Help! I ruined my sterling silver letter beads in jewelry cleaner! Julie Minkin Beads 3 August 4th 03 07:29 PM