Pin Cushion Stuffing

Old August 21st 04, 02:15 PM
Boca Jan

Default Pin Cushion Stuffing

I am making pincushions with my Timtex and I'm wondering what's the best
stuff to put inside the "cushion" part. Is it sand? Something special? If
it's something special where do I get it?

Thanks!

Boca Jan

Old August 21st 04, 02:47 PM
Maine-iac Rose

I had an older pin cushion that had sand in it. the reason for the sand is
when you put the pins in there, it will scrape off any burrs that happen to
form on the point. but I think it has to be very fine sand, then you need
very very fine material so that it won't get out. I do have a newer pin
cushion that has something like fiber fill in it. so it is up to you what
you use as a filling.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

Old August 21st 04, 03:58 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Jan

I stuff mine with batting scraps - mostly poly - but cotton would probably
work fine. The outsides are scraps too, and I have noticed that when new, the
batik scraps make for some resistance to the pins (because of the tight weave).
I would not use an interfacing on the usable part of a pin cushion. A
strawberry thing from joann's for needle sharpening is handy.
Deena - in Philly
Old August 21st 04, 10:12 PM
Pauline O'Connell

Has anyone ever tried using the plain old fashioned gravel type kitty
litter? I wondered if it would have the same effect as sand - scraping off
any burrs??

Pauline

Old August 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Shirley Shone

The traditional "strawberry" pin cushion is filled with emery. That
keeps pins sharp. The lining has to be dense fabric so the emery does
not come through.

I have used sheep's fleece for stuffing pincushions. The lanolin in the
wool stops rusting. When I used to give spinning demonstrations I used
to sell a lot of bags of fleece to lace makers for their pincushions.
Shirley

In message , Pauline
O'Connell writes

--
Shirley Shone

Old August 21st 04, 11:42 PM
maryd

we used to. And I think I saw a bag of wool out in the barn recently. I'll
contact you privately if I find it.

--
Mary

Old August 22nd 04, 07:57 AM
Shirley Shone

Before you use it, soak it in cold water overnight. Rinse it a few times
and dry. Lay it on a towel outside to dry. Or hang in a mesh bag.

You may notice the soaking water becomes warm, this is due to the suint
in the wool. Giving it this first wash will get rid of any dirt or other
nasties but will leave the lanolin in.

Shirley

In message , maryd
writes

Old August 22nd 04, 05:03 PM
DrQuilter

I hope you are not putting Timtex on the part the pins and needles go
through?

Boca Jan wrote:

I am making pincushions with my Timtex and I'm wondering what's the best
stuff to put inside the "cushion" part. Is it sand? Something special? If
it's something special where do I get it?

Thanks!

Boca Jan

--
Dr. Quilter