OT-peaches

Old August 20th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default OT-peaches

I have been reading a lot about dump cakes and peaches so I got me some
beautiful peaches that need a bit of ripening. Anyone got any tricks to
ripen them?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old August 20th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

This taken from the university extension/home ec. site:

Peaches emit ethylene gas during ripening. This natural ripening hormone
speeds up the process of turning those hard-as-rock peaches into
sweet-as-candy delights. By putting the peaches into a loosely closed paper
bag, the ethylene gas surrounds the fruits, helping with the ripening
process.
However, not all bags are created equal. According to these produce experts,
paper bags "breathe" a bit, providing a perfect pouch for the ripening of
the fruit. Plastic bags, on the other hand, hold in too much humidity,
allowing moisture to build up on the fruit. This can lead to fruit that
deteriorates more rapidly.

Beside peaches, other good fruit candidates for paper bag ripening a
apricots, avocados, bananas, kiwifruit, mangoes, honeydew melons,
nectarines, papayas, pears, plums, and tomatoes.

Hope that helps. Boney Appy-teet!

Val

Old August 20th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
I have been reading a lot about dump cakes and peaches so I got me some
beautiful peaches that need a bit of ripening. Anyone got any tricks to
ripen them?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes
boca_jan1atyahoodotcom
http://community.webshots.com/user/BocaJan

What Val said. And if you throw a ripe banana in the bag, the peaches will
ripen that much faster. Bananas give off a lot of ethylene.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 20th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I have never been able to duplicate good old Mother Nature. I've done the
brown paper bag thing and all I get is soft, tasteless peaches.

Cindy

Old August 20th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kris in Portland, Oregon

On Aug 20, 11:22 am, "Boca Jan" wrote:
I have been reading a lot about dump cakes and peaches so I got me some
beautiful peaches that need a bit of ripening. Anyone got any tricks to
ripen them?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes
boca_jan1atyahoodotcomhttp://community.webshots.com/user/BocaJan

My mama puts them in a paper bag like all the rest have said or you
can use a cardboard box with news paper on top too if you have a lot
of peaches to ripen

Kris

Old August 20th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article . com,
"Kris in Portland, Oregon" wrote:

My mama puts them in a paper bag like all the rest have said or you
can use a cardboard box with news paper on top too if you have a lot
of peaches to ripen

Kris

I'm a fan of the single layer in a box method. No squished/bruised
fruit that way.

Son and I spent some time today blanching our case of peaches, peeling
them and they now all currently reside nicely sliced in the dehydrator.
Yum.

We did use a few the other night for some wicked ice cream.

A couple were saved out and will become shortcake for dessert tonight.

The rest will be might tasty dried.

marcella
Old August 21st 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Put them in a bag with a ripe banana , that works for me.
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos