Leftover Fan Squares=Kitchen Upgrade

Old August 15th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Leftover Fan Squares=Kitchen Upgrade

I had four too many squares left over from the Fan Quilt so here is
what I spent the morning doing. The blue one shows the back pocket and
is a companion to the single one shown.
It was speed sewing at it's best. Great fun and my wife loved them.
She put away the other pads that we had been using and hung these up
on the stove righ away without a monemts hesitation.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635mfeCbm

Enjoy,

John

Old August 15th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of making
some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Well those are just wonderful!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 15th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I cut up the clean parts of the ironing board cover. Just remember the more
'quilting' you do thru all the layers the more holes you put into the lining

HTH
Butterfly

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of
making some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 15, 3:37 pm, "Kate G." wrote:
Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of making
some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MIhttp://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *"John" wrote in message

oups.com...

I had four too many squares left over from the Fan Quilt so here is
what I spent the morning doing. The blue one shows the back pocket and
is a companion to the single one shown.
It was speed sewing at it's best. Great fun and my wife loved them.
She put away the other pads that we had been using and hung these up
on the stove righ away without a monemts hesitation.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635mfeCbm

Enjoy,

John

An older set that I did I used Poly batting and they did not insulate
very well. This time I used 100% premium Cotton that was left over
from the quilt. I doubled it and on the inside of the pocket on the
back I used Poly batting. That makes four layers of cloth, 2
thicknesses of Cotton and one thickness of poly batting. Normally,
when using the hot pad with your hand inside the pocket it will handle
up to the hottest bowls right out of the oven. For those times that it
is just to hot to hold, use the hot pad without your hand in the
pocket and just use the whole pad to grasp the item. I imagine you
could cut up some old bath towels to use as filler if you are very
heat sensitive as that would surely stop the heat transfer..

John

Old August 15th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

I was wondering the same thing, Kate. My next project is a kitchen set for a
friend. Blender cover, tab top hand towels and hot pads. I was going to use
some face cloths that have gone raggedy on the edges but still good in the
middle, four layers thick since I know most of their cooking is done in cast
iron...mucho-hot-O! Would that work? You really do lovely work, John, very
nice indeed!

Val

"Kate G." wrote in message
. ..
Nicely done! What do you use inside to resist heat? I've thought of
making some... but batting isn't a good insulator. What do you recommend?

--
Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old August 15th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Silver cloth and applique

You can buy that silver-colored cloth for insulating (the name is something
like 'millium'); seems like the place was Home-Sew. That's what I used to
make a cover for my June Tailor pressing board when it became pitiful
looking. I also made a really big sort of trivet for protecting the table
from large and very hot holiday feast dishes. The cloth is not cheap but
it's good stuff. John said he might try appliqué next. John, the next time
you're waiting for paint to dry, you might toy with the fine appliqué
stitches your Bernina knows how to do. Nobody does it better. Polly

Old August 15th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Kate, cotton batting works fine as insulator in pot holders. G I have
been making and using potholders for years with a couple of layers of
cotton batting. You can also use InsulBright, from the Warm Company,
which is designed for this type of thing. But you also need to use
cotton batting with the InsulBright.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 15th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 15, 5:04 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

I traded back for another 1008 mechanical as I just didn't like the
way the Activa 220 sewed. Something about the way the machine didn't
stop when you took your foot off the pedal. It either continued on to
needle up or needle down depending on how it was set. I like a machine
to stop, Right Now if I take the power off. Probably comes from having
learned on mechanical machines and that was the first computerized one
I owned. The number of decorative stitches on the 1008 is rather
limited so I will work within the range that it provides. Nothing to
over the top at this point. An interesting aside, I went to the local
quilt show and saw one of my wifes friends quilt that was made up of
squares that had been heavily appliqued. She has a top of the line
machine and boy did she strut her stuff. Some of the most complex
stuff that I have ever seen. It is nice to see something that is made
by somebody that really knows how to opperate the machine. It makes me
feel so limited, but she has spent a long time quilting and is very
accomplished. The machine just adds another element to her range of
skills.

John

Old August 15th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article .com,
John wrote:

I had four too many squares left over from the Fan Quilt so here is
what I spent the morning doing. The blue one shows the back pocket and
is a companion to the single one shown.
It was speed sewing at it's best. Great fun and my wife loved them.
She put away the other pads that we had been using and hung these up
on the stove righ away without a monemts hesitation.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635mfeCbm

Enjoy,

John

I don't blame her, John! Who wouldn't love to get those?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)

Bernina news -- BSR upgrade the black rose Quilting 0 July 9th 05 05:23 PM
UPGRADE kteedidit Machine Knit 0 November 30th 03 01:43 PM
upgrade PE-Design?? Joanne1 Sewing 1 August 25th 03 08:09 PM