Looking for a used pottery's wheel

Old August 3rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dan

Default Looking for a used pottery's wheel

My wife is taking her 2nd set of classes in pottery & I'd like to find a
used wheel for her to use at home. Can anyone suggest a good source for
such equipment, either via mail order (especially with a web site) or in
the Pacific Northwest (we're in Seattle). Any suggestions as to
brand/model for a home use wheel would also be appreciated. I'm also
wondering if anyone has ever built one of these themselves. Seems like
a fairly straightforward machine, motor with foot controller, turntable,
splashpan, 3 legs and a base to hold it all together. Maybe you could
buy the turntable/bearing bits, add a motor & construct the rest? I
found a plan for a kickwheel online, but nothing powered.

TIA

Dan
Old August 3rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
The Clay Empire

Dan,

I suggest the Brent IE Wheel. It is portable and affordable while very
practical especially for a student. I think you can get the Brent IE
with splash pan for under $600 delivered to your home. It is a great
price and I am sure it will hold the resale value if she decides to
scrapbook instead. If you need to order one and would like to order
through me, just email me . I use this Brent IE
as I teach childrens afterschool programs, churches, organizations and
home schools along with day cares and Montessori schools. It is a
light 45# and works great when you have to lug it from site to site.
The splash pans are great for clean up and the motor is suprisingly
adequate for 16-20 pounds of clay. I often throw from the hump in my
classes and this wheel handles it well. Anymore questions, let me
know!

Chad Everson
The Clay Empire

Old August 3rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
anna

Hi Dan,
Most local pottery supply stores have a bulletin for the purpose of
buying and selling used equipment. I know nothing about the Seattle
area, but see if you can find a local pottery store and give them a
call to see if they know of anything available! Used pottery equipment
can be a challenge to find, as there are always new students looking
for a deal. Good Luck!
Anna

Old August 3rd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Your area (and Oregon if you are willing to take the drive) is a good area
for picking up secondhand pottery equipment. You can do a search on EBay
local to your area. One that is a "pick up only" item is going to be
cheaper if you find it when you are the only one interested. Right now
there is one like that available but in NY.

As Anna stated check with your local pottery studios/schools/newspapers. I
personally liked my shimpo whisper very much and it was under 600 (I will
have to dig up where I ordered from if you are interested in going that
route because at other places it is more expensive).

Hope you find it soon! Donna

. ..

Old August 4th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dan

DKat wrote:
Your area (and Oregon if you are willing to take the drive) is a good area
for picking up secondhand pottery equipment. You can do a search on EBay
local to your area. One that is a "pick up only" item is going to be
cheaper if you find it when you are the only one interested. Right now
there is one like that available but in NY.

As Anna stated check with your local pottery studios/schools/newspapers. I
personally liked my shimpo whisper very much and it was under 600 (I will
have to dig up where I ordered from if you are interested in going that
route because at other places it is more expensive).

Hope you find it soon! Donna

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Seattle does have a good pottery
place, with some used items
http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/...egory_Code=USW

I'm fairly familiar with machinery, having done a lot of wood & metal
working, advanced car repairs, even some watch and clock making, and
having bought the equipment for these pursuits, and I gotta say these
wheels seem pretty steep for the simple devices they are. I guess it's a
function of their relatively low production.

Wonder when the Chinese are going to start making them? ;-)

Dan

old spinning wheel Els van Dam Yarn 23 May 2nd 06 10:24 AM
"Penguin Quill" spinning wheel bim Yarn 0 December 6th 04 02:29 AM
AD: ongoing Pottery/Ceramics courses - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Pottery 0 February 26th 04 09:43 PM
Remind me again how much I love cats JJMolvik Yarn 21 November 30th 03 06:05 AM
Spinning tiger potters wheel Bri Pottery 0 August 14th 03 03:08 PM