Silver and Gold?

Old June 8th 04, 11:09 AM
Gemfyre

Default Silver and Gold?

Wahoo!! Thanks for all the advice, I used those little end clamp thingies
and the bracelet is now finished and looks pretty good!

Now for the next step. The toggles and clamps are gold, I wanted them this
colour for the old antiquey look. But now I want to put a few jump rings
around the strands to hold them together... and I want silver jumprings. I
just think the silver looks better among the beads.

What do you think? Is it an absolute sin to have silver and gold in the
same piece? Should I just use gold jump rings? Decisions, decisions...

Photos!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...iquepearl1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...iquepearl2.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...iquepearl3.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...iquepearl4.jpg

Gemfyre
--
Check out my handmade jewellery that I have for sale.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare...jewelsale.html

---

Old June 8th 04, 02:56 PM
lgreene

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Gemfyre"
:

]What do you think? Is it an absolute sin to have silver and gold in the
]same piece?

never.

One of my faves. I'm wearing a silver and gold watch right now.

Lisa

Old June 8th 04, 03:33 PM
Armand Vine

go for it.
Kerry has a charm bracelet with silver and gold charms that is very
striking.
it is yours, do whatever you like. you can always change it if you don't
like it.
Armand Vine
www.dvinedzines.com

Old June 8th 04, 05:20 PM
Su/Cutworks

Armand wrote:

Kerry has a charm bracelet with silver and gold charms that is very
striking.

I have earrings with silver hoops and sliding gold beads. It's a very
modern attitude to keep the metals separate, which is a shame.

it is yours, do whatever you like. you can always change it if you don't
like it.

Absolutely. It's one of the great things about beads. You can string them,
unstring them, restring them.... well, I'm sure you get the idea. :-)

Armand Vine
www.dvinedzines.com

And speaking of stringing beads, your bracelets are simply stunning. I love
the beaded bead one.

-Su

Old June 8th 04, 05:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Yay -- aren't clamshells a good little thingie?

What do you think? Is it an absolute sin to have silver and gold in the
same piece?

Oh, heck NO.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 8th 04, 08:59 PM
Kalera Stratton

I like mixing silver and gold, and also copper and silver, although I am
absolutely opposed to mixing brass and chrome. g

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old June 9th 04, 01:42 AM
Kandice Seeber

I mix them all the time! The only time I will ever wear gold is if it's
with silver. These days, mixing metals is a good thing.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old June 9th 04, 03:35 AM
Beth IA

By all means, mix it up! My most favorite bracelet is nothing but silver
and gold beads. I wear it almost every day because i feel like I can wear
my silver watch with my gold wedding band without breaking "the rules."
--
Beth
http://earthlink.home.net/~workerbead

. au...

Old June 11th 04, 12:41 AM
Christina Peterson

It's fine to mix white and yellow metal beads, etc. But you need to use a
clasp of the dominant metal, with clamps in that same color, to give
continuity. A bracelet with gold beads and a silver clasp, for example, is
not good. Even having gold beads with a little silver and then a silver
clasp, looks like you ran out of material or budget and just stuck in what
you happen to have.

Tina

. au...

Old June 11th 04, 12:46 AM
Dr. Sooz

It's fine to mix white and yellow metal beads, etc. But you need to use a
clasp of the dominant metal, with clamps in that same color, to give
continuity. A bracelet with gold beads and a silver clasp, for example, is
not good. Even having gold beads with a little silver and then a silver
clasp, looks like you ran out of material or budget and just stuck in what
you happen to have.

Oh hey -- this is really good advice. I never consciously thought of that, but
I always do it. Good call, Tina.
~~
Sooz
-------