Gold filled vs gold clasps

Old July 20th 03, 03:44 PM
CLP

Default Gold filled vs gold clasps

Is there any reason one would use gold filled findings instead of 14, 18 or
24k gold?

TIA
Christy

Old July 20th 03, 04:06 PM
Christina Peterson

Sure is. 14k is 8 times as costly , 18k even more. And 24k is both more
expensive and softer, wears faster.

Tina

Old July 20th 03, 05:28 PM
CLP

Yes, but for selling finished work that you've invested a lot of time in,
isn't 14 or 18k at a minimum, more desireable? I see gold filled clasps that
look nice now, but won't they wear off and be cheap looking? Obviously I
don't know much about this. I guess I should research what the gold filled
is, actually. It seems that if I put so many hours into a piece that should
last a lifetime, I'd want to have solid gold findings... I appreciate the
input, thanks.

Old July 20th 03, 06:05 PM
Christina Peterson

Unless someone is investing in "fine jewelry" they don't usuall want to pay
the extra for 14k. I see a simple 14mm lobstercalsp in my Rio catalogue.
In gold filled it's 6.49 for 6. In 14k it's 13.07 for one. Most people
don't want to spend the extra $10 to have a 14k clasp.

It's gold plate you want to avoid. Wears off quickly with moderate wear or
even handling. "Gold filled" had a much thicker layer of gold and won't
wear off for most people for as long as they own the piece.

Tina

Old July 20th 03, 06:22 PM
Beads1947

If you have a wholesale license, GemORama outside of Boston is a good place for
findings, especially headpins ($10.00 for 1,000) and earwires. They have a
webpage at www.gemorama.com or you can call them. They also have excellent
prices on gemstone shaped beads.They have monthly specials and will put you on
their mailing list.
Patti

Old July 20th 03, 06:38 PM
Dr. Sooz

You're thinking of vermeil. Gold-filled is better and more long-lasting than
vermeil. Also -- you'll have to have an asking price for the 18k-and-up
jewelry that will be prohibitive to most buyers.

Yes, but for selling finished work that you've invested a lot of time in,
isn't 14 or 18k at a minimum, more desireable? I see gold filled clasps that
look nice now, but won't they wear off and be cheap looking? Obviously I
don't know much about this. I guess I should research what the gold filled
is, actually. It seems that if I put so many hours into a piece that should
last a lifetime, I'd want to have solid gold findings... I appreciate the
input, thanks.

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 20th 03, 08:06 PM
Carol in SLC

I see gold filled clasps that look nice now, but won't they wear off and be
cheap looking?

They shouldn't - that's the beauty of using gold-filled findings. They wear
extremely well. OTOH, you want to avoid gold plate completely because it
*will* wear off, and rather quickly, too.

Carol in SLC
(Newest stuff - http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/coralcameo.jpg )
Little sister's new JB auctions 7/12
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=63875
Old July 20th 03, 10:32 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article wVxSa.13624$zd4.3642@lakeread02,
"CLP" wrote:

Is there any reason one would use gold filled findings instead of 14, 18 or
24k gold?

TIA
Christy

To keep costs down and make a less expensive piece, yet still have the
look of gold.

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org