Resolution ala Quiltville

Old January 1st 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dogmom

Default Resolution ala Quiltville

I've been hanging out at www.quiltville.com lately--my favorite scrap quilt
site. Read her experience about giving up buying fabric and am thinking I
might ought to see how many days I can go without buying fabric since I'm
having to find creative places to stash (hide?) my stash. Acknowledging the
problem is the first step toward recovery....And like any good -olic, I
immediately think--would that include ANYTHING related to sewing? How about
thread? or scissors? Her pieced backing are inspiring, too--and ruin my
excuse for buying fabric "only for the backing". Haven't bought any today,
yet, so thus far (it's mid afternoon ;-) I'm clean! One day at a time--or
one hour!

Sometimes I think the older I get, the more things I find to give up!

Dogmom

Old January 1st 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

A group here set a challenge to go one month without buying
a while ago. I think most of us made it lol

Kepp us posted on how you do - and remember, we are here
to help with moral support anytime (and of course stash
reduction assistance).

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old January 1st 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

I'm trying very hard not to buy any fabric at all this year. I have more
than I'll use in my lifetime I'm sure. But . . . you have to have thread
and needles and rotary cutter blades! I've lately been piecing the backs
of my quilts as well . . . not the same pattern, but using my left overs
from the front of the quilt. Each time I've had to add only one other
fabric to finish off the back, but it cuts down on scraps that I'm not sure
I can put together well in another quilt. I use the smallest of the large
pieces for the middle then just make borders around it with the other left
over fabrics from the front until it is the size I need. I like scrap
quilts, but sometimes getting them symmetrical is difficult for me.

dogmom wrote:

I've been hanging out at www.quiltville.com lately--my favorite scrap
quilt site. Read her experience about giving up buying fabric and am
thinking I might ought to see how many days I can go without buying fabric
since I'm having to find creative places to stash (hide?) my stash.
Acknowledging the problem is the first step toward recovery....And like
any good -olic, I immediately think--would that include ANYTHING related
to sewing? How about thread? or scissors? Her pieced backing are
inspiring, too--and ruin my excuse for buying fabric "only for the
backing". Haven't bought any today,
yet, so thus far (it's mid afternoon ;-) I'm clean! One day at a time--or
one hour!

Sometimes I think the older I get, the more things I find to give up!

Dogmom

--
Toledo,Ohio

Old January 2nd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Doesn't everybody piece the quilt back, at least some of them?

Ragmop/Sandy

Old January 2nd 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

I piece most of my backs - I really like the look, but there are occasions
when one piece of fabric is more suitable (IMHO)!
--
Pauline
Northern California

Old January 2nd 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janet

I quilt my quilts in strips then bind them together so I like to make
the backs as interesting as the fronts. The quilts can be used
reversable. I use lots of misc. fabric up that way. I still buy
fabric for backs when on sale that is pretty and always try in include
it into future quilts.

Janet
SW Florida

Old January 2nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I love scraps, adore using up other people's scraps, and all my quilts
contain a few pieces from the Scrap Heap, but this doesn't prevent buying
new fabric. Aren't we obliged to give at least a little support to fabric
manufacturers? We want them to keep the good stuff coming! New designs! More
colors!
If your stash is causing you any trouble at all, clear out all the scraps -I
will deal with them :-) You'll be amazed how much space it frees up. (And if
you want my advice, don't bother hiding stash. What a waste of energy!)
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old January 2nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I am also a fan! I have been going through my giant "scrap" bin, and
cutting the chunks into usable pieces. I have bins of 2 inch squares next
to my machine, and always start or end with a pair while piecing anything.
I recently used most of the "2 patches" making a border for a scrap "Road to
California" quilt. I hope to get it basted this week.
I'm also teaching my group how to make scrappy half log cabin blocks, using
the 2 bag method. One bag holds light strips and one holds dark ones. We
will be swapping fabric strips to get lots of variety.
--
Susan in Zephyrhills FL
finally back to quilting

Old January 2nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MAmadurk

There is a Yahoo group called Stashbusters that has an on-going no-buy
group, if you need extra support. They are the ones who first "introduced"
me to Bonnie & her quiltville site. VERY talkative bunch---a lot like here
actually---check them out!
MAmadurk

--
I don't consider myself a book collector. I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe. -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books. -Thomas Jefferson

Old January 2nd 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

You're so right, Roberta. Playing in someone else's scrap bin is big fun.
My quilting buddy is making Snugly Bugly by Amy Bradley. She decided her
bug needed a wide border of bright scraps in a checkerboard manner. I wish
I could tell you that the happy hours she spent cutting pieces from my bin
made a dent in the heap. It didn't - but her border is just wonderful.
Polly

"Roberta Zollner" wrote I love scraps, adore using up other people's