Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Old September 27th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

So, can you explain how best to use those three values, Roberta? I'd be
most grateful.
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes
Size doesn't matter as much as getting the 3 contrasting values right. So
use any size you feel comfortable with. Smaller blocks will provide you with
more curvy lines.
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 27th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:58:57 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Hmm... you could put little Compasses in the centers of some of the SAS
blocks...

Wouldn't that look amazing?!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old September 27th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

I found that EQ was a huge help in working out the contrast in order to get
the curve illusion. I just fiddled with it (using gray-scale type "colors")
until I could see where the different values needed to be to get the look I
wanted. In my "Red Sky at Night", while I used many different reds, I only
used two different neutrals; one light tan and one medium tan. I paid no
attention to where the various reds ended up; the placement of the neutrals
is what makes the curve more prominent in my quilt. Basically, the value of
the outer triangles in the "square in a square" blocks should differ from
the value of the outer triangles in the "diamond in a rectangle" blocks (I
have no idea what these are really called.). At least this holds true in a
traditional type Storm at Sea.

Another helpful tool for the Storm at Sea is the Tri-Recs Tool. It's a set
of two rulers; one to cut each of the two triangles needed for the "diamond
in a rectangle" block. The diamonds are actually two triangles sewn
together at the base. I think these are what Doreen Speckmann named "Peaky
and Spike". You cut the triangles from strips that range from 1.5" to
6.5", depending on your desired finished size. The tips of the triangles
are squared off, making construction a bit easier. I have no affiliation
with Tri-Recs, but found it fabulous for this block.
--
Donna
http://community.webshots.com/user/donna9736

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Size doesn't matter as much as getting the 3 contrasting values right. So
use any size you feel comfortable with. Smaller blocks will provide you
with more curvy lines.
Roberta in D

"Megwen Woodham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
What size block does anyone recommend? I want to maximise the curve
effect and I'm not sure how big the finished block needs to be. Can
anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Megwen

Bath, England

Old September 27th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

This is very interesting and informative, Donna. Thanks very much.
..
In message , Donna973
writes

Old September 27th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Donna973 wrote:
[...]

Someone showed a quilt a few months ago with a title something like
'Sun, sand and sea' or Water and Sun. It was turquoisy blues with a few
splashes of yellow and a little sand colour. The yellow just lifted it.

I've looked in the archives but can't find it, and can't remember who
posted it.

Can anyone remember it?

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old September 27th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megwen Woodham

I need to learn how to use the EQ I bought last year, things got difficult
last November and all my sewing got put to one side. However, there is light
at the end of my tunnel and sometime in October, I'll start looking at EQ.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Megwen

Bath, England

Old September 27th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

If you get stuck with EQ come and play with the Virtual
Quilters - a small group of rctq'ers who use quilting
software. We are more than happy to help . We just
finished an international virtual Round Robin, and we have
impromptu design challenges. We had one for Storm at Sea
just a short time ago.

Email me (see sig block) if you would like to take a look
around the group site. The group is "closed" (to protect
from spam), but we are always happy to welcome rctq'ers.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

"Megwen Woodham" wrote in message
:I need to learn how to use the EQ I bought last year,
things got difficult
: last November and all my sewing got put to one side.
However, there is light
: at the end of my tunnel and sometime in October, I'll
start looking at EQ.
:
: Thanks for the suggestions,
:
: Megwen
:
: Bath, England
:
:

Old September 28th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KittyG

Really just whatever size you are comfortable working with - and how many
you will have to make.

The circle effect is unexpected when you first look at this block but part
of its charm. And you can mix with other blocks as well.

I used S@S with mini Lone Stars for my Star Circle quilt, pics at my
webshots link.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Have fun!

--
KittyG

~kitty in phx~

http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee

Old September 29th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

Kitty, your Star Circle quilt is beautiful! I love being able to see it in
it's design state and then finished. A lot of quilts never make it that
far.g I also love your log cabin lap quilt. It looks so comfy; a
perfect snuggle quilt.

Old September 29th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article z0WSg.593$BC6.247@fed1read01,
"KittyG" wrote:

Really just whatever size you are comfortable working with - and how many
you will have to make.

The circle effect is unexpected when you first look at this block but part
of its charm. And you can mix with other blocks as well.

I used S@S with mini Lone Stars for my Star Circle quilt, pics at my
webshots link.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Have fun!

Gorgeous, Kitty! Wow!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1