Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Old September 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

This was one of my 1st quilts! Love the pattern, and thought I didn't like
the double sashing until I saw one recently in a magazine that looked "just
right". Something about the effect of the doubled wavy lines. It was in
monochromes.

BTW, I hung my Storm in the entryway to hide an ugly wall in our previous
house, and some weeks afterward, DH said it had made him feel a bit queasy
to look at it for a while, but now he was used to it! And he would proudly
point it out to everyone who visited :-)
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Focus on Design is my once in a while thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. The purpose it to discuss the design elements of a designated
quilt top. This is not the place to talk about chocolate, sewing machines,
kids or other popular issues. Please reserve those for other threads. In
this thread, let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA QUILTS!

Here are two from Debi's album ... these are quilts she photographed at a
recent quilt show. The first, Marie Karickhoff's Red Tide, is the
traditional S@S setting with an uncommon red and white color way. It
carries some of the block elements into the border.
http://tinyurl.com/hl7oz
The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has Virginia Reel blocks in the border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

Here is a coloring page with a S@S 'quilt' design.
http://tinyurl.com/oq99j I do not care for the 'double sashing' or
whatever you might call that. I like the 'single' version as in Red Tide,
above. The Quilter's Cache Version also has the 'double sashing' look.
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/StormAtSeaBlock.html

If you want to see some patterns, go to Block Central and click on any of
the three links. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt? Steve in Alaska said he made one
ages ago. I hope he posts a photo of that one. I have been 'saving blues &
greens' for one for ages. Maybe this thread will give me the push to
start! How about you?

PAT in Virginia, USA

Old September 25th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

There's a ruler designed for that angle! Called Lazy Angle IIRC. I pick it
up frequently (but don't look at the name anymore).
Roberta in D

"steve" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Oh my, you still want a picture of that old Storm at Sea quilt? I have a
request in to my Mom, so someday I might get a picture of it. I dare say
it
is quite ugly considering that the colors of the 80's were browns and
rusts
and things like that. Not that browns and rusts are bad, but when one
looks
back one sometimes wonders. I have seen some now days that are beautiful
with all the new colors that we have at our disposal. If somebody could
just teach me how to sew those three odd shaped triangles together into
one
nice rectangle I would be all set. I just can't seem to ever get it
right.
I very much avoid blocks with such triangles. Oh well.

Steve in Alaska

Old September 25th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

What isn't started will never be finished! Just trying to help.
Roberta in D

"Debi Matlack" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
link.net...
I really *really* want to make one bad, but I don't know if starting yet
ANOTHER project is a good idea, with school and work and all that Real Life
crap to deal with. Then again, it's never stopped me before. I see mine a
bit on the Amish side, with blues+/-greens +/- purples on a black
background. Maybe doing small prints/mottled/ blenders on solid black or
solid (looking) colors on BOB. That way it will show the maximum cat hair
when employed. ;-)

--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old September 25th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Hmm... you could put little Compasses in the centers of some of the SAS
blocks...
Roberta in D

"Nancy in NS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:33:31 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA

The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical
Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has
Virginia Reel blocks in the border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

This is such a gorgeous quilt pattern, and on my Dream Quilt
List. That and a Mariner's Compass. Perhaps that comes
from living by the ocean all my life.

Both of these quilts are stunning. I like the traditional
setting of the red quilt, but I really like the way the
Virginia Wheel border mimics ocean "waves" in the second
quilt. Beautiful!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt

Old September 25th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

Thanks Pat....and PBA sounds fine to me! I've suffered from it for so long
in so many ways that I don't even remember where I got the term from!
--
Donna
http://community.webshots.com/user/donna9736

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Donna:
TY! That quilt is GORGEOUS! If it continues to not be a favorite of yours,
just send it here ... it would be a favorite in my house! Do let us know
how you decide to quilt.
"Paralysis by Analysis" ... I love that phrase. I hereby propose we
abbreviate this common affliction as PBA, if you approve Donna.
PAT in VA

Donna973 wrote:

I just added a picture of my in-progess Storm at Sea to my Webshots album
(Works in progress folder). This is a top only. I completed the top a
couple of years ago, just before one of our many moves. When I finished
the piecing, I wasn't really all that wild about the result. Not sure
why, really. That, and my all too common "paralysis by analysis"
regarding the quilting caused it to linger in it's unfinished state. I
just pulled it out a couple of weeks ago, determined to Just Do It, and
have actually purchased the backing for it. I should get on to the
quilting soon. Having not looked at it in a while, I'm happier with it
than I was originally, but I don't think it will ever be one of my
favorites. Which is really too bad considering the amount of work (all
those points to match!) that went into it.

I do think the Storm at Sea block is one of the most beautiful. It's
amazingly versatile. Just changing the color placement can accent the
illusion of curves. Design possibilites are endless! I've seen some
wonderful ones, and will probably tackle another one some day.

Thanks Pat, for another of your Focus on Design posts. They're always
fun and stimulating!

Old September 26th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

I remember seeing that one in a magazine long ago and fell in love with it.
I never made one, of course, but I always thought it was neat.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"Idahoqltr" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the url I meant to give
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...35522506HUDvYB

Old September 26th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

Go for it Donna! That quilt is gorgeous, and will only get better once it's
quilted. I love the reds!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

. ..

Old September 26th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megwen Woodham

What size block does anyone recommend? I want to maximise the curve effect
and I'm not sure how big the finished block needs to be. Can anyone help,
please?

Thanks,

Megwen

Bath, England

Old September 27th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Size doesn't matter as much as getting the 3 contrasting values right. So
use any size you feel comfortable with. Smaller blocks will provide you with
more curvy lines.
Roberta in D

Old September 27th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megwen Woodham

I was afraid of that! My colour picking skills aren't properly honed yet!

Thanks,

Megwen

Bath, England