Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Old September 25th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

I just added a picture of my in-progess Storm at Sea to my Webshots album
(Works in progress folder). This is a top only. I completed the top a
couple of years ago, just before one of our many moves. When I finished the
piecing, I wasn't really all that wild about the result. Not sure why,
really. That, and my all too common "paralysis by analysis" regarding the
quilting caused it to linger in it's unfinished state. I just pulled it out
a couple of weeks ago, determined to Just Do It, and have actually purchased
the backing for it. I should get on to the quilting soon. Having not looked
at it in a while, I'm happier with it than I was originally, but I don't
think it will ever be one of my favorites. Which is really too bad
considering the amount of work (all those points to match!) that went into
it.

I do think the Storm at Sea block is one of the most beautiful. It's
amazingly versatile. Just changing the color placement can accent the
illusion of curves. Design possibilites are endless! I've seen some
wonderful ones, and will probably tackle another one some day.

Thanks Pat, for another of your Focus on Design posts. They're always fun
and stimulating!

Donna
http://community.webshots.com/user/donna9736

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Focus on Design is my once in a while thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. The purpose it to discuss the design elements of a designated
quilt top. This is not the place to talk about chocolate, sewing machines,
kids or other popular issues. Please reserve those for other threads. In
this thread, let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA QUILTS!

Here are two from Debi's album ... these are quilts she photographed at a
recent quilt show. The first, Marie Karickhoff's Red Tide, is the
traditional S@S setting with an uncommon red and white color way. It
carries some of the block elements into the border.
http://tinyurl.com/hl7oz
The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has Virginia Reel blocks in the border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

Here is a coloring page with a S@S 'quilt' design.
http://tinyurl.com/oq99j I do not care for the 'double sashing' or
whatever you might call that. I like the 'single' version as in Red Tide,
above. The Quilter's Cache Version also has the 'double sashing' look.
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/StormAtSeaBlock.html

If you want to see some patterns, go to Block Central and click on any of
the three links. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt? Steve in Alaska said he made one
ages ago. I hope he posts a photo of that one. I have been 'saving blues &
greens' for one for ages. Maybe this thread will give me the push to
start! How about you?

PAT in Virginia, USA

Old September 25th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
BJ

What a neat thread! I'm still so new to this that there are lots of
surprises. I LOVE this pattern. If I didn't have 3 WIP right now, I'd
start on one....maybe I'll just start anyway. I realized not long ago that
I might be able to call myself a quilter when I discovered that I have 3
WIP, 1 UFO and a couple of sacks of stuff that I want to do.....and I've
only been doing this 2 years.
BJ in GA

Old September 25th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sandy: I think that the illusion of
curves is one of the reasons why
quilters like S@S. It seems like 'magic!'
PAT

Sandy Foster wrote:

Nope, no SAS quilt -- yet. G It's one I've often admired and never
gotten around to making. But someday.... I love the effect of the
straight lines giving the impression of curves!

Old September 25th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Donna:
TY! That quilt is GORGEOUS! If it
continues to not be a favorite of yours,
just send it here ... it would be a
favorite in my house! Do let us know how
you decide to quilt.
"Paralysis by Analysis" ... I love that
phrase. I hereby propose we abbreviate
this common affliction as PBA, if you
approve Donna.
PAT in VA

Old September 25th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Donna973" wrote:

I just added a picture of my in-progess Storm at Sea to my Webshots album
(Works in progress folder). This is a top only.

Oh, Donna, that's *gorgeous*! I love those random purple stars in the
red quilt -- does it need a home?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 25th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Sandy Foster wrote:

Nope, no SAS quilt -- yet. G It's one I've often admired and never
gotten around to making. But someday.... I love the effect of the
straight lines giving the impression of curves!

That it does, Pat, that it does.

Old September 25th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Another simply gorgeous SAS. I love what you've done with the colours,
to make those curvy diamonds appear. Beautiful.
..
In message , Donna973
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 25th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article %zTRg.4068$vC3.1809@dukeread02,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Donna:
TY! That quilt is GORGEOUS! If it
continues to not be a favorite of yours,
just send it here ... it would be a
favorite in my house! Do let us know how
you decide to quilt.
"Paralysis by Analysis" ... I love that
phrase. I hereby propose we abbreviate
this common affliction as PBA, if you
approve Donna.
PAT in VA

Oh yes! I'm often a victim of that very syndrome! G

Old September 25th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Beautiful S-a-S quilt top, Donna!