OT Computer Crash!

Old February 5th 04, 02:50 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Default OT Computer Crash!

I don't know what I did, but I messed up our computer and lost all my
saved e-mails and our address book. AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!

At first I could read e-mails and newsgroups, but I couldn't respond.
That seems to have been worked out now.

Also lost all my bookmarks and am trying to remember all the quilt sites
I liked. If you have some favortites, let me know and I'll check them out.

Luckily I had printed out the info for most of the different swaps I'm
involved in.

Babs, who'll be busy for a while rebuilding my e-mail life

Old February 5th 04, 11:41 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Here are some of my bookmarks on quilting:

http://www.quiltbus.com/QuiltBlocksII.htm
http://www.jeanneraecrafts.com/quilt.html
http://www.dilkie.com/paper_piecing.htm
http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/patterns.html
http://www.portup.com/%7ehjbe/quilt/qblox.html
http://www.cranstonvillage.com/default.aspx
http://ttsw.com/QuiltBlocksPage.html

sorry to hear that your puter crashed, i hate when that happens. one thing
to do is back up your files, like your favorites, once you get them, just
find that folder, click copy, then paste onto a floppy or cd. same with
your address book, don't know what the name will be, as each one is
dirrerent, usually your user name, but with W-XP, it is called owner.wab,
but do a search for *.wab, and when you see the icon of the address book, do
the same, click it, then copy it, then paste onto the floppy or cd. Back
them up maybe once a month, or whenever you have made changes, that way, you
can always get it back. just copy from the floppy or cd, back to the HD,
but just remember where they go.
the email's are a bit more to it, you would have to click each email, then
click File, and Save As, and put them on a seperate floppy or a seperate
folder on the cd from above.

well good luck with everything, hope you get things back to where you had it
before.

Maine-iac Rose
@---

Old February 6th 04, 12:38 AM
AliceW

Babs, I am sorry to hear about your crash. THEY always say it is not a
matter of *whether* your computer will crash, but *when* it will crash. I
always annoy people by nagging about backups, but I had dutifully backed up
my computer before doing a refresh of the operating system one time and I
was not able to do a full restore. My problem was that I had not used this
particular back-up program before and it turned out to be too large to do an
overall restore. I did have separate backups of my documents and digital
pictures (thank goodness!), so I just needed to reinstall all of my programs
(yeah, right *just*!). That being said, I did learn what is important to
backup routinely. That includes those files that you can't reinstall, like
your email messages and favorites. I now use an OE backup tool that you can
find here http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tools/index.htm#oebackup and I make
copies of my favorites folder from my hard drive. I use Windows XP so my
favorites folder is in my Documents and Settings folder. You may have
something different. You may still have this folder if you did not have to
do a total install. The website I cited earlier also has a mail extractor
which may help you find your old email messages. It helped me. Since I
don't know what you needed to do to get back up and running, this may or may
not work, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

:

Old February 6th 04, 01:24 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Thanks so much for the sites. I had seen a couple of these, but most
were new to me.

Babs
queen of hot stuff

Old February 6th 04, 05:10 PM
Maine-iac Rose

"AliceW" wrote in message
find here http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tools/index.htm#oebackup and I

make Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian

Wow Alice, you just taught me a new trick, that is what I get for not
surfing the internet more than I do. I'm downloading it as I write, but
before I would take each email and just save them as a file. I do think
there are someplaces online that you can use to back up your system, but I
would rather do it myself.

but we learn as we live, when my first puter crashed, luckily I did have my
documents on floppies, but it was a matter of finding a puter that would
read and print them out, and eventually I found a person that helped me, got
most of them printed out, but then had to typed them into the new puter
format. But then there were the scanners, got myself one of those, and that
saved me allot of typing.

Take care, and hope others get this post and will be able to back up their
OE allot easier.

Maine-iac Rose
@---